Anyone ever had seeds that Germinated but

Fladawg01

420 Member
First time grower here. After planting into Peat Pots (I did two strains of 2 seeds each) into 4 peat pots, surrounded by 2 different soil mixtures. I put the peat pots into a soil mixture and then placed baggies over the tops to keep it humid. within 2 days I saw growth and thought to myself success, but the next day two of the germinated seedlings looked like the stems had dried, yet you could see the humidity was good in the bag. For the most part the peat pots will support a young plant for a few days or more with an occasional mist after un-doming them.. Anyway 2 of the same strain that started basically grew up then just wilted as described above, while the other strain has been doing fine.

Since it was only a couple day spread, I started another couple seeds and will be doing similar today as this will keep them within 5 days of the others. One of the seeds was the strain that died, the other was a gifted seed (Cookies). These are all auto flowers OG Train wreck (2 that died) and Mac 1 are the survivors.

Just seemed strange that identical conditions, one strain Mac 1 is flourishing the other OG Train wreck did not. I guess if it happens to the last seed I will be planting today of OG Train wreck could I say just a bad pack of seed? Unfortunately I did not take a photo.

Damping off - don't cover seedlings, that's for cuttings [EN] clones [the rest of the world lol]
Have you ever dipped a banana into hot coffee?

Watch any video by many growers starting off with seed, they all cover with a dome or baggie anything that keeps the air moist as they emerge from soil, peat pods or other material.
That would mean that many growers who make videos are wrong. Domes are only needed for clones, and then only until they get roots. Leaves do not like, want, or need that high of humidity, it just creates an atmosphere where fungus can have a party. In this case, it did, and the seedlings died because of it.

Watch any video by many growers starting off with seed, they all cover with a dome or baggie anything that keeps the air moist as they emerge from soil, peat pods or other material.
Personally I use a dome and a warming pad all the time .
Soak my seeds overnight
Put them in , couple days there up. Few more days and roots through the cube and into pots and or pebbles
I also use oasis cubes so that my medium doesn’t have a chance for chit.

If you have damping off I would be more inclined to say your soil , equipment and even bugs are bringing your pathogen in.

Enjoy and good luck with your seeds.

Personally I use a dome and a warming pad all the time .
Soak my seeds overnight
Put them in , couple days there up. Few more days and roots through the cube and into pots and or pebbles
I also use oasis cubes so that my medium doesn’t have a chance for chit.

If you have damping off I would be more inclined to say your soil , equipment and even bugs are bringing your pathogen in.

Enjoy and good luck with your seeds.
I only dome them for a day or two until the shells come off.

Of all the seeds I’ve germinated and started I think I’ve only had 1 or 2 damp off.

That would mean that many growers who make videos are wrong. Domes are only needed for clones, and then only until they get roots. Leaves do not like, want, or need that high of humidity, it just creates an atmosphere where fungus can have a party. In this case, it did, and the seedlings died because of it.
It’s the stems and roots where that particular fungi starts.

Even when I think of it, the soil or media already is creating a humid microclimate.

I germinate hundreds of seeds every year for my flowers/veg/herbs plot and never cover any of them
Less pampering makes them more robust in my experience, which admittedly is only 40 years or so ;)
Whatever works for you is cool, I'm not about to disagree with anyone growing bud :ganjamon:

The fungus spores are microscopic in size and they float in the air. They can float through a window screen and it is possible for them to have landed on the soil or rooting material days or weeks before the seed was planted.

Many growers will leave the dome off to allow the top of the soil to dry out a bit which reduces the chance of the spore starting to grow.

Below is a short article from the University of Minnesota Extension Service. They are the people who do the research and information gathering for everyone from farmers, experienced gardeners and even newcomers to gardening. Every state in the US has a central office, usually as part of the state university. Then there is a smaller office located in every county of the state, usually the county seat.

How To Prevent Seedling Damping Off

It is well worth the minute or so it will take to read the info in the article.

The fungus spores are microscopic in size and they float in the air. They can float through a window screen and it is possible for them to have landed on the soil or rooting material days or weeks before the seed was planted.

Many growers will leave the dome off to allow the top of the soil to dry out a bit which reduces the chance of the spore starting to grow.

Below is a short article from the University of Minnesota Extension Service. They are the people who do the research and information gathering for everyone from farmers, experienced gardeners and even newcomers to gardening. Every state in the US has a central office, usually as part of the state university. Then there is a smaller office located in every county of the state, usually the county seat.

How To Prevent Seedling Damping Off

It is well worth the minute or so it will take to read the info in the article.
I actually read that one completely yesterday.

Great information to know how things travel on this great planet or ours.

The less dirty things involved the better.

Enjoy and keep on crackin them beans.

I germinate hundreds of seeds every year for my flowers/veg/herbs plot and never cover any of them
Less pampering makes them more robust in my experience,

this right here ... jesus doesn't run around dumping domes on cannabis seedlings in nature lol

From all the years I have spent in church not once was Cannabis mentioned in the bible.

So I would say , something else created it.

cannabis is definitely mentioned in the bible. it's normally referred to as sweet cane. the hebrew words for it is kaneh bosem which is the root of the word cannabis and appears on the dead sea scrolls the bible is derived from.

this right here ... jesus doesn't run around dumping domes on cannabis seedlings in nature lol
:)I cannot imagine farmers planting 10s of thousands of bean seeds or seed corn over an acre and then spending weeks putting little domes over each one.;)

From all the years I have spent in church not once was Cannabis mentioned in the bible.
Yep. I spent years in a Catholic school before our parents moved to a Detroit suburb. As progressive the Catholic Church and the nuns were not one of them mentioned Marijuana or the "Reefer Madness" movie.

cannabis is definitely mentioned in the bible. it's normally referred to as sweet cane. the hebrew words for it is kaneh bosem which is the root of the word cannabis and appears on the dead sea scrolls the bible is derived from.
Reason most of us do not know about it being mentioned is that "kaneh bosem" is Hebrew which was the language that the Old Testament was written in. The New Testament was written in ancient Greek. Both of those languages were spoken and written for centuries before the development of Latin.

Our English language along with most of the languages of Europe are based on Latin so most people would not make the connection between kaneh bosem or Cannabis or Marijuana.

:)I cannot imagine farmers planting 10s of thousands of bean seeds or seed corn over an acre and then spending weeks putting little domes over each one.;)

Yep. I spent years in a Catholic school before our parents moved to a Detroit suburb. As progressive the Catholic Church and the nuns were not one of them mentioned Marijuana or the "Reefer Madness" movie.

Reason most of us do not know about it being mentioned is that "kaneh bosem" is Hebrew which was the language that the Old Testament was written in. The New Testament was written in ancient Greek. Both of those languages were spoken and written for centuries before the development of Latin.

Our English language along with most of the languages of Europe are based on Latin so most people would not make the connection between kaneh bosem or Cannabis or Marijuana.
This is true, our alphabet is still based on the Hebrew Aleph, Greeks changed that to Alpha, Beta etc
But English is a pidgin language really, because we use words such as angst and fun which are Scandinavian words - we've been invaded by Denmark, Norway, France, Romans [who named most of our towns & cities], Saxons...
The vast majority of English words are derived from French which is Latin based, just pronounced badly
M'aide [help me] turned into Mayday; comfortable is exactly the same word in French, just pronounced differently
Even 'invade' is derived from 'Va' to go or travel [invade, evacuate, vacation, valedictory, vacancy...]
Sorry to go on, but words are my thing

I've had them start to root and then just stop doing anything. Just like gave up after opening. Super Lemon Haze grew into a sprout an wrinkled up n died after 3 days. Dunno what happened. I do and don't use domes, depends on how spry the seedling is after surfacing.

lol. i agree. just imagine the boat load of work jesus has to do in nature.

oddly i got shown the movie as a grade 6 student in class. it really didn't have the expected impact. i've no idea how it was on the curriculum looking back, and it was kind of an uptight catholic school.

that is a large part of it.

there is also very unfortunate censorship, entire segments of the old testament were banned, and there are missing gospels, and chunks missing in the ones we have, in what most of us in the west call the new testament.

the most common version of the bible is the king james version, and several derivatives based on it. it is a very heavily redacted book. the terrible truth is the bible has undergone many revisions based on monarchal and papal politics through the centuries.

not to knock ol' kingy out of the water. what is there is still true to the original in many many ways. it's just not all there, and both politics and language translation have watered and changed it.

This is true, our alphabet is still based on the Hebrew Aleph, Greeks changed that to Alpha, Beta etc
But English is a pidgin language really, because we use words such as angst and fun which are Scandinavian words - we've been invaded by Denmark, Norway, France, Romans [who named most of our towns & cities], Saxons...
The vast majority of English words are derived from French which is Latin based, just pronounced badly
M'aide [help me] turned into Mayday; comfortable is exactly the same word in French, just pronounced differently
Even 'invade' is derived from 'Va' to go or travel [invade, evacuate, vacation, valedictory, vacancy...]
Sorry to go on, but words are my thing

for fun go have a look at the runes. even though they never officially evolved into one, they were the first alphabet, and go back to pre - egyptian, etruscan, or even earlier times.

the symbols are most commonly found all over scandanavian, celtic, and and anglo saxon regions. even though they have roots elsewhere. proving movement of peoples and exchange of ideas deep in human history.

each symbol has it's own meaning far past a singular alphabet letter. eerily, each symbol is also very much part of most current language alphabets.

Lots of different opinions here, so thanks for all the responses. Right now I have 2 germinating without doming I'll see where they go. The difference is I'm in a smaller tent and not growing over 4 plants at a time, not a field full. But yes, many experienced growers I know uses some type of dome to keep the area humid. Once I saw the plants I un-domed and let the humidity in my tent take care of them. I run Humidity at around 64% to 68% it fluctuates, my temperatures of 75 to 79 fluctuates, and my VPD is .85 to 1.10 as it fluctuates as well. If they ever grow well enough for veg and flower my VPD holds steady around 1.30 but where I grow average humidity is 48 to 50% and temps are 85 to 90 degrees outside the tent. Again It's good to hear the different opinions though so thanks.

your rh is ok for veg bit it is right in the middle of mold making territory come flower.

Back
Top Bottom