Airy Buds

WthAmIDoing

Aside from genetics, what would be the cause of “airy buds?” The colas are big/crystally but are not dense. Could it be the nutes i was using? I want to prepare myself for next crop.
886D1E07-1008-41D0-9FF0-953DD53E9832.jpeg
1ABB1A30-C90B-4261-B063-3D99EF621419.jpeg
D09C4522-3533-4397-9597-B905780E9ED4.jpeg
A3A70055-D303-46A5-B116-7528D33D386F.jpeg
8D348A3E-A060-44A4-825F-A1ECE2C04D1A.jpeg

Doesn’t look too bad. My first crop was very airy. I couldn’t quite nail down the cause, but it could have been: new soil I cooked was a bit high in Nitrogen, or the lights I used were a bit too weak, or it was the genetics. Possible it was all three causes. However the second crop in the same soil and same light was better with far better buds. This current round is frosty with some good bud development.

Don’t sweat it. Those colas look good and the dry/cure will see some shrinkage and densificafion. Looks good!

Doesn’t look too bad. My first crop was very airy. I couldn’t quite nail down the cause, but it could have been: new soil I cooked was a bit high in Nitrogen, or the lights I used were a bit too weak, or it was the genetics. Possible it was all three causes. However the second crop in the same soil and same light was better with far better buds. This current round is frosty with some good bud development.

Don’t sweat it. Those colas look good and the dry/cure will see some shrinkage and densificafion. Looks good!
I have a few premature buds curing now and i seen a HUGE shrinkage. I might just have to bite the bullet on this crop

High calyx to leaf ratio (or dense buds buds) is mostly genetics, and light strength helps. You can also maximize it with a correct nutrient program for that strain. But, what's in the genes is what it is, usually....

Those look frosty enjoy ;)

High calyx to leaf ratio (or dense buds buds) is mostly genetics, and light strength helps. You can also maximize it with a correct nutrient program for that strain. But, what's in the genes is what it is, usually....

Those look frosty enjoy ;)
For some reason I’m thinking Dense Buds= better quality.

i wouldn’t worry about a defoliation at this stage. I also wouldn’t follow the recommended flower times, but go with the trichome method to determine when to chop, there is a generally accepted fattening up that occurs late in flower. I am about a month from chopping my current crop and expect to see some plumping up in the next week or two.

Not always. Not really. But, that's one of those Pepsi or Coke questions.

On a blind smoke test what do you prefer? ;)

I know what sells and has weight. But, what's a blind man say......

Enjoy that nice growing.

I dont necessarily agree with that logic. I used to grow with cfls in conjunction with a blurple led and the quality was excellent despite my mostly fluffy nugs.

They certainly have more bag appeal when you have rock hard nugs, and obviously more yield... two things that dont matter in my world, but we all have our own ways

No direct correlation on that, or a "not necessarily always the case", and it is going to vary on the Strain and Genetics, and maybe how the Cosmos align or the gravitational pull of the moon ;):rofl:. Some folks go by bag appeal I suppose but like everything in life looks can be deceiving ;), personally I go more by the smell and the crystals/trichs than bud structure or bud size or the THC% numbers on the label (as IMHO it does not mean it is better necessarily let alone that it is "always better"). Same as many folks are aiming for quantity on their grows (especially when learning and get flustered if they don't hit numbers others are hitting) "I got 1/2 lb off one plant", but personally I would rather have 3 oz of quality smoke over 8 oz of stuff that tastes like crap ;):rofl:. Different strokes for different folks, also depends on if you growing your own or selling it as then "bag appeal" can be more important, but if it looks really great and is lousy for one reason or another then folks won't come back also.

heya friend,,

just my opinion,, but i guess that's what ya asked for,, so

i think it is mostly genetics,,

some plants are denser than others,,

all other factors,, ferts, soil, humidity, etc,, for the most part,, will give you more of whatever bud you are growing, but not so much will give more density.

i am sure there are all kinds of exceptions , to every rule,, but my observations in the hundred odd plants i have grown so far,, very odd indeed

my incredibly loose logic suggests,, loose buds = more sativa ish, = better

cheers friend:volcano-smiley:

Would airy buds be less prone to get mold?

Are there less cannabinoids on an airy bud?

Are the cannabinoids less potent on an airy bud?
I’ve had problems with mold but my more airy buds have less problems than my dense buds. Considering the NW climate (very humid) it’s bound to happen either way. I had someone taste test a batch I’m curing right now and he said it was a straight head high so I’m assuming I’m steering more towards Sativa with these

Back
Top Bottom