Ah Toe Gro

Keep in mind. Smell comes from terpenes. Terpenes are Volatile Organic Compounds. The most sensitive of them start to evaporate at around 70°. On a sunny, high temp day your plants are going to smell if they are in flower. On cold days below 70° you probably won't smell anything or much.

Successive hot days will exhaust whatever terpenes you develop in flower at that point in time. This is why indoor growers lower the temperature as they near harvest. By keeping the terpenes that are filling up in your trichomes intact you increase the smell and flavor profile of the smoke.

That is the general idea of how terpenes work. That doesn't apply to every cultivar out there as it could be that your particular cultivar just doesn't produce the amount of terpene that would emit a strong odor.

Honestly, when I read people crowing about how smelly their tent is I think to myself "Bro? Those are the terpenes you're counting on to help with the entourage effect." If you can keep the temp below 70° the last few weeks you can retain almost all the terpenes your flowers develop but then you're trading off flower growth due to lower temps. It's a balancing act that only comes with experience.

My suggestion would be for you to start pheno hunting now that you have the experience to take a plant to harvest. Start playing and growing different cultivars to see which phenos you like. If you really like a particular pheno and it's a photo period plant you can pollinate one of the females and get a shit ton of seeds that'll last you years!! You'll already have a journal or journals of the same pheno so you can use the journal to springboard plant performance as you already know what her basic likes are no you get to take it to the next level with different techniques you think will boost your plants performance.

I was just outside working with the plants and it occurred to me to ask, if the smell comes from terpenes, what is creating the strong weed smell now on my plants without terpenes at this point?

I was just outside working with the plants and it occurred to me to ask, if the smell comes from terpenes, what is creating the strong weed smell now on my plants without terpenes at this point?
Your plants are always making terpenes. They are all over the plant not just inside the trichomes.

Hey just happened to stumble across your new grow, I'm going to grab a spot on the couch but I'll make sure to keep my feet of the coffee table.

I use that same soil on my cherry tomato plants in pots. Seems to be keeping them happy so far.

Can't wait to see it through.:hookah:

Welcome to the Club @g-one-three !!!

No worries my Brother! The more the merrier. I like lots of people watching my thread not so much to check out my flowers but to be able to keep me on the correct path to harvest for whatever I might miss.

06/23/2024

Temp - 80.8
Humidity - 42%
DLI - 15

All the seeds popped except for Hotcakes which only one seed popped but I left the unpopped seeds in the paper towel to see if they need some extra time to germinate. Seeds have been in the towel for 5 days. Got the germinated seeds in their final 3 gal pots and watered them. I didn't water the one pot for the Hotcakes as I only got one seed to pop so once the other does then I'll plant it. If not the extras on the other cultivars that popped I can plant in place of the Hotcakes.

Germinated Auto seeds in paper towel.jpg

Sprouts in their home and watered

Seeds planted in their pots and watered.jpg

The Vipar Spectra XS1500 Pro's dimmer switch took a dump so the light only stays on at 100%. This means I have to regulate DLI by lowering and raising the light. I'll be sending Vipar Spectra an email to see what kind of customer service they are able to provide. I like the light and its light spread but the dimmer failing is no bueno as I've only had the light for a year.

VS1500Pro dimmer not working.jpg

After posting the last post one of my Growmies reminded me of the switch that turns off the dimmer.

Light is working as it should. Operator? Not so much! 😄

Looks like everything is working as it should.
Hey, you only had the light for a year which may not be enough experience with it to get the nuances with the dimmer switch. 😂

😭😭😭😭😭

The GF and I had to leave for a couple days and the electricity got shut off in the area. Apparently the local tweaker decided to try and steal some copper wire from the local substation. He was pretty crispy by the time the Fire Department got there.

Plants got fried from no A/C. Trying to save them but it looks pretty bleak.
Ugg that sucks!!! Hopefully the plants survive!!

😭😭😭😭😭

The GF and I had to leave for a couple days and the electricity got shut off in the area. Apparently the local tweaker decided to try and steal some copper wire from the local substation. He was pretty crispy by the time the Fire Department got there.

What a total bummer!!

I have been really looking forward to this specific grow of yours.

I guess at least they weren't 7 weeks old and full of flowers and stretching branches.

😭😭😭😭😭

Good luck, I'll be sending good vibes your way.

Back
Top Bottom