5 vs 7 Gallon DWC Buckets

Belliott

420 Member
I seen a lot of 5 vs 3 gallon bucket discussion for dwc but what about 5 vs 7 gallon. Is the 2 extra gallons worth it? I'm going to be growing in a 5x5 4 plants

I haven't grown in a 5 or 3 gallon bucket yet, but bought a 5 gallon bucket setup and then saw they also have a 13 gallon bucket setup so that's the one I decided to go for. I read up a little on the 5 gallon bucket setup and heard that the roots can possibly clog up the recirculation line. Good luck on your grow whichever pot size you go with. I'll be interested to find out how it goes as I am thinking I may want to start out another grow in the future in smaller buckets and then swap out to the larger ones later in the plants life. I know it's crazy mixing for a 50 gallon system especially when my plants are still small (less than 8 inches tall so far).

I would use the largest size that's practical.

My grows are in a res that holds 26 gallons and I love the stability, in terms of pH, and the fact that with that many mg of chemicals in the nutrient solution, I only need to change the res three or four times over the course of a 110 days grow.

I've contemplated getting a system like PA Hydro sells, the Fallponics version, and my thinking would be to stay with 13 gallon buckets for the plants and a 13 gallon external res.

That's looking at the problem from the perspective of max volume for stability and I'll readily admit that I don't know if an 8 gallon bucket will impair growth vs a 13 gallon bucket (my sense it that it wouldn't) but, overall, I'd go with the largest size you can reasonably fit in your grow space. I do have to use a sump pump (330 mph) with hoses and I mix the nutes in a 32 gallon trash can and then pump them into the res but the larger res means I do it about once every 5 weeks.

It's definitely helping my plants to put their foot on the gas.
Gary was great to deal with too.. jmo

20240619_161918.jpg

20240619_154323.jpg

I seen a lot of 5 vs 3 gallon bucket discussion for dwc but what about 5 vs 7 gallon. Is the 2 extra gallons worth it? I'm going to be growing in a 5x5 4 plants
one plant per? I have only ever seen fives, toss and replace every couple of days, make sure to either only use water when replenishing low reservoir or make the food and then add. with the nutrients that I use must be mixed in order. I look forward to seeing what you choose, have an awesome day friend

one plant per? I have only ever seen fives, toss and replace every couple of days, make sure to either only use water when replenishing low reservoir or make the food and then add. with the nutrients that I use must be mixed in order. I look forward to seeing what you choose, have an awesome day friend
yeah one plant in a 6 inch net pot per bucket

Back
Top Bottom