2 Month Old Plant Dying - Please Help!

1sttimesocal

My White Russian plant is nearly two months old and has been doing extremely well up until a few days ago. I transferred from a three gallon pot to a five gallon pot and problems arose. At first, the plant started to tip over. It had never done this before and so I assumed it was a result of wind or something, but wasn't worried yet. Next, a few of the lower leaves began to dry out and turn yellow. Today, I went to check on the plant (after giving her a feeding yesterday) and all of the leaves have now wilted. I had noticed them beginning to wilt yesterday but it's much, much worse today.

Please help diagnose what's wrong so I can save this plant!

I'm growing in Coco Coir and have been feeding the plant Coco A & B plus CalMag (using instructions on the back of the bottles). The plant has responded very well to all nutrient feedings, so I'm at a total loss as to what's going wrong.
IMG_046637.jpg
IMG_046729.jpg
IMG_046830.jpg
IMG_046926.JPG

Re: 2 Month Old Plant Dying -- PLEASE HELP!!!

After doing transplant for plants outside keep out of direct sun for one week. That is to much stress for a plant.

Thanks, CO Finest. I've moved the pot under shade to see if it makes a difference.

Antics, sorry about the multiple posts -- just stressing over the fate of my plant and wanted to make sure someone saw my thread and gave advice. I originally had the plant in an 18 ounce solo cup before transplanting to a 1 gallon, then a 3 gallon, and now a 5 gallon. The transplants before this one went very well. Maybe next time I'll try transplanting straight from the solo cup to a 5 gallon. In answer to your question, the soil did not break apart during any of the transplants -- of course, there was some excess soil, but the root system held intact along with the soil it had burrowed into.

Re: 2 Month Old Plant Dying -- PLEASE HELP!!!

I'm wondering if it's a nutrient problem (another reason why I duplicated this post in the Coco thread), since I have been growing in Coco and only feeding the plant Coco A & B, plus CalMag. Is this a good nutrient concoction? Are there nutrients my plant isn't getting because I've only been feeding it Coco A & B and CalMag?

Four things can cause that look.

Over feeding of nutes
over watering
under watering.
A broken stem

Since it all started when you transplanted it is possible you broke the stem. Also its possible that the new soil was way too nutrient rich so the plant is burning. Thirdly your soil looks bone dry so perhaps under watering?

I just realized your in coco. So its not over nuting. Its either broken stem or under watering. Or a bit of both.

One other thing that can do that is if the water had an extremely low PH like 3.5 or less.

Signs of Shock:
Leaf scorch is a common symptom of transplant shock. Leaf scorch first appears as a yellowing or bronzing of tissue between the
veins or along the margins of leaves of deciduous plants (those that lose their leaves in winter). Later, the discoloured tissue
dries out and turns brown. Other symptoms of transplant shock appear as wilting leaves (especially on recent transplants),
yellowing, and leaf rolling or curling

only saying what ive read at a number of places :thumb:

To have a transplant look like that you would need to have torn the roots completely up. So much that it would basically have to be done on purpose.

From what I'm reading, Coco a+b should contain all the macro and micro nutes, as well as the calcium and magnesium. But I see some folks suggesting the added use of calmag, because they say the coco tends to absorb some of those nutes.

What is the PH of your medium?
What PH water do you use?
What is the PH of nute solution?
What is the PH of your runoff?

CO FInest could very well be right about your problem, he knows his stuff and has a lot of experience. I'm just trying to cover all bases with you here.

It definitely isn't a result of under-watering. I water the plant when the top inch and a half to two inches of the medium become dry - which I've read is universally considered standard practice. As far as transplant shock goes, my brother and I followed the same procedure we have for the last two transplants and the plant did well both those times. While I'm hesitant to say we may have broken the stem while transplanting this time, I won't completely rule it out because I don't have any other explanation for what's going on.

Antics -- I use RO water that reads at around 5.0 PH before I boost it to 6.5 before watering the plant. I always PH-balance the water I use to 6.5 -- same goes with the nutrient solution I use to feed the plant. I've tested the PH runoff before and it's always been 6.5. I did put the plant in shade as CO FInest suggested just in case.

Today, the plant looks worse. I'm really getting worried. How can I save this plant??? My brother and I would be devastated if after two months of following by-the-book instructions, the plant suddenly died. I'm praying somebody on here can help me save it... I'm willing to try anything... Thank you to everyone who's commented so far, I appreciate the support and advice.
IMG_047026.jpg
IMG_047124.JPG
IMG_047230.jpg

If you have a hydroponic system you could just whack her at the base and just make a large clone out her. If she doesn't perk up very quickly after that she may be too far damaged but I think it could be saved that way if all else fails. Just my .02 cents

EDIT: You might even be able to just clone her into rockwool cubes or something. That is one route I have taken before. I have also had hydro plants go to hell in a handbasket and I just stuffed them into some soil with root enhancers and away we go.

Back
Top Bottom