What kind of light HPS or LED?

That has to be one of the best things about this site, we can share ideas (sometimes differing opinions) without anybody getting uptight and nasty about it :)
Great way to put it Celt,
The truth of the matter is, this question is a lot of like say, which should I buy a car or a truck. So many different variables come into play and in all actuality it is the person asking the question that will only truly be able to answer the question. I think that a lot of times they are merely looking for others to confirm what they already are thinking. I know when I was trying to decide to go LED verses HID for the most part I had already made up my mind, though I researched the hell out of it before I made the purchase. I actually used One of Icemuds and another grower by the name of medgrower1 as the deciding vote, though it may as well be anyones since for all the research I was doing, chance are I would have bought what I did either way.

Just wish I had the ability to communicate as well as so many here on this site. These guys/gals rock!

LOL I had no experience with either HID or LED, I started with CFLs LOL

Like you, I researched the hell out of the subject LOL In the end, after seeing what people here were doing with LEDs, and talking to CO Finest who used HID and has been switching over to LED, I decided to jump in with both feet and bought an LED.

The general consensus was that LEDs are cheaper to run (even if only somewhat it adds up) and yields may be somewhat lower but quality was higher with LEDs. I am someone who will take quality over quantity any day :)

As it turned out, my first grow yielded me over 300g using the LED pulling 410w. With experienced growers only pulling about 1g/w with HID and hydro, I figure I did well pulling 0.75g/w with LED and organic soil.

That has to be one of the best things about this site, we can share ideas (sometimes differing opinions) without anybody getting uptight and nasty about it :)

This is exactly why I stopped being a member of every other similar website related to MM cultivation, the "children" or "trolls" don't seem to hang around long, and the adults can communicate without getting knowitall or nasty. Thanks for a great discussion folks.

Oh yeah ... my two cents!
For me two things are very critical ... safety of the grow area (heat/fire) and quality of product. All other things really aren't super important to me. In that light (punny!), I'm a converted LED lover, my other lights are now in storage. My HID is awesome, and my HPS and MH both work very well too. I won't be selling any of my lights, as backup equipment is third of the list!

Enjoy the Day

JB

This is exactly why I stopped being a member of every other similar website related to MM cultivation, the "children" or "trolls" don't seem to hang around long, and the adults can communicate without getting knowitall or nasty. Thanks for a great discussion folks.

Oh yeah ... my two cents!
For me two things are very critical ... safety of the grow area (heat/fire) and quality of product. All other things really aren't super important to me. In that light (punny!), I'm a converted LED lover, my other lights are now in storage. My HID is awesome, and my HPS and MH both work very well too. I won't be selling any of my lights, as backup equipment is third of the list!

Enjoy the Day

JB
Another example of well spoken, to the point and friendly.
You all have me thinking I should go back and take a few english courses.

Colt I'm going to look into the Mars as well as platinum LEDs a little further. Older grower I like your perspective on the lights. If anyone has great experiences with LEDs chime in with the brand, watts, yield, and space.

I got a little over 15oz from 4 plants under my Mars 900 in the same size tent. Also, remember, that the quality of the buds will increase under LED. More trics and terpenes so even if you get the same quantity the bud will be harder and denser. :peace:

How do the girls look week 3 veg?
image2524.jpeg
The White
image2526.jpeg
Thc Bomb

I 420% agree :) I love sharing things I have learned as well as learning from others :) Peace and luv to all :)

The xte200 does not have an edge over the ds200 if you use the data from their comparison with the mars 2 400... plus the mars2 400 doesn't get thrashed so bad with the new data sheet.... the ds200 on site data sheet needed the par/watt reduced for the ds200 so the xte 200 looks better on paper... it is their new and better light.... I have a ds200 and was checking the data sheets to see how much better the xte200 was... Looking forward to see how well they backpedal on this.....

No replies yet via email but as soon as I get a response I will post it here to share. Just curious since I don't own a DS series, do you know what LED chips are in it? I know the XTE features osram 660s and the rest are Cree XTE and XPE with the exception of the IR chip which I am not sure of the make since cree and osram don't make IR to my knowledge. Just curious if they use the same chips in the DS series.

LOL I had no experience with either HID or LED, I started with CFLs LOL

Like you, I researched the hell out of the subject LOL In the end, after seeing what people here were doing with LEDs, and talking to CO Finest who used HID and has been switching over to LED, I decided to jump in with both feet and bought an LED.

The general consensus was that LEDs are cheaper to run (even if only somewhat it adds up) and yields may be somewhat lower but quality was higher with LEDs. I am someone who will take quality over quantity any day :)

As it turned out, my first grow yielded me over 300g using the LED pulling 410w. With experienced growers only pulling about 1g/w with HID and hydro, I figure I did well pulling 0.75g/w with LED and organic soil.

I too am one who prefers quality over quantity as I love the terps :) so I typically prefer LED because those 660nm chips really add to the oil/terp production :)

Here is my stats: (each grow featured 6 plants, however each grow had different strains so these numbers only reflect the results in the same size tent with similar nutrients and pot size, but are still also reflecting the differences in strains too)

as so far it shows HID produced the largest yield for my grow space, but LED produced the best yield/watt results. And the LED buds definitely were more full of trichomes and tasted better.

Grow 1: 1000w HID (400w CMH + 600w HPS) Total yield 574g or .57 grams/watt (scrog grow)
Grow 2: 1000w HID (400w CMH + 600w HPS) Total yield 547g or .55 grams/watt (scrog grow)
Grow 3: 1000w HID (400w CMH + 600w HPS) No Yield Data (Powder Mildew took over)
Grow 4: 1000w HID (400w CMH + 600w HPS) Total yield 325g or .33 grams/watt (scrog grow)
Grow 5: 580w (400w CMH + Mars II 400w) Total yield 245g or .42 grams/watt
Grow 6: 540w LED (3x Mars II 400/180w models) Total yield 308g or .57 grams/watt (Scrog grow)
Grow 7:>300w LED (2x Intelligent Gro, GEN1, 180w each on dimmer) Total yield 191g or .63 grams/watt
Grow 8: 540W LED (3x Intelligent Gro, GEN2, 180w draw each) Total yield 367g or .70 grams/watt
Grow 9: 494W LED (2x Advanced LED XTE300, 247w draw each), Total yield 391.4g or .79grams/watt
Grow 10: 494w LED (2x Advanced LED XTE 300, 247w draw each), Total yield 229g or .31grams/watt (only ran 3 plants, one died and was pulled early, other one had severe health issues and stopped growing, so yield was greatly affected)
Grow 11: 741W LED (3x Advanced LED XTE 300's, 247w draw each) Total yield: 475.0g or .63G/Watt

g'day Icemud,

That's great data and thx for sharing.
Was the vegging stage the same for each grow and long did u veg?

The veg cycle for each grow was similar but not exactly the same, so there also are many variables that effected the outcome. I pretty much use this data only for my personal reference and as a "goal" to reach, but it does sort of show a trend in a way as well.

:thanks: Icemud

So do u normally veg until plants reach a certain size then change to flower and what size?

Typically when running a scrog grow I veg for about 2 1/2 to 3 months from clone (until the screen is full and then flower) but usually its 2 1/2 to 3 months.

When not doing a scrog grow the veg time still usually is about 2 1/2 months to 3 months but typically I wait until the plants are at least 24" tall from the top of the soil before I flower.

I also have flowered mothers which have vegged anywhere from 6 months to 1 year or more.

What do you guys think the best low heat LEDs would be for a 1 plant Dwc grow? I'm trying to yield around 400+ g. Grow tent is 3x3x7'11.

Back
Top Bottom