Primeau’s First Grow, Soil Photoperiods Out On The Patio, 2021

Looks like I’m getting more “piggy backing “ from your thread than you are from mine! All ends up in the same place. Thanks for the knowledge @Emilya !

NTH
Yup, I’ve been watching your journal closely hoping somebody has ideas on your GG new growth leaves curling as I’m seeing that on some of the lower growth tips of my BBs as well!
Hi Primeau! Welcome! :passitleft: The girls are looking they're getting healthier. All I was thinking at first was "this guy needs to read @Emilya." and I scroll down and....bingo!
So much great info and great folks here. I like growing outdoors as well. Smile and stay stoneder!
Thanks @Fredwak ! Great community here and tons of support. I was lucky enough to get some help from @Emilya on the first day I joined this forum when I was trying to find out why my Blue Haze seedling looked like this with the white splotches and mutated new growth:

Although she’s still on the smaller side she’s lately grown into a relatively healthy looking lady with dreams of one day seeing a harvest!

This weeks update, starting with the youngest:

27 Days: Neither Blue Haze 2 not Hay-Z 2 have been given any nutes yet. There should be plenty available to them in the Gaia Green Living Soil + the worm castings and shot of Feather Meal that were included when up potted. Turns out these are in 1.5 gallon and 1.67 gallon pots rather than 1 gallon which I previously thought. This makes me feel a bit better about the full week they’ve taken to completely dry the pot out after transplant. They should be dry by tomorrow evening when I’ll water to run-off with nutes. Only real concern right now is some minor signs of bugs, I soaked all the plants with Safer Insecticidal Soap Friday night and will do it again later this week.

BH2:

HZ2:

BH1 - 48 days:

Grape Drink - 48 days, this is the one that got extremely stretchy inside so when I transplanted to the 10 gallon pot I put the original rootball on its side near the bottom and bent the stem up, burying several inches of stem in the process. I’m thinking I’ll top this one in a couple of days to encourage it to get bushier:

Blood Orange Kush - 48 Days, I think this is my healthiest looking girl. The breeders info said it would grow short and bushy and that’s what we’re seeing. I don’t think I’ll do any training to this one as I’m really not interested in it getting bushier than it is now:

57 Days: Finally we get to the Bruce Banner x Unknown bag seed plants. All of my other plants come from feminized seeds so I’ve been watching these closely. I believe that BB1 is a female based on the pre-flowers. I posted a pic above of a pre-flower that looks to have a tiny hair emerging, have a look and let me know what you think! BB2 I don’t see any distinguishable pre-flowers but worry it might be a male based on how it looks when compared to BB1.

BB1: This one I tried to FIM about two weeks ago, not sure I did it right but you can see from the top view the cut leaves and I do see a few new growth it’s in that area.

BB2: This is the one I worry might be male. It was just plain topped on the same day BB1 was FIMmed:

So that’s it, let me know if you see anything off or have any suggestions to help these girls improve! I’ll be away from the plants for 10-days starting Saturday and will post a ‘before’ shot that we can compare to the growth when I get back.
Happy Growing Everybody :)

Oh ya I always start seedlings in solos. Soak, paper towel in a sandwich bag using sterile tweezers or a gloved gental hand place in middle of paper towel with where your tap root is goin to emerge pointing down then I place in a cabinet something in the 70-80 degree range and prop up, that way it sends the tap down and not out and curly. Then into solos, giving small amounts of water make the roots go searching for it and it will ensure you don't drown or dampen the seedling off. I usually put in a clear solo with 4-5 holes on the bottom then into a red or blue solo this way any extra water can be poured out incase u accidentally over water, and it also allows you to see how the roots are doing and when she's ready to be Transplanted. I only water with declorinated tap water (just let sit out in a bucket for 48 hours) or just spring water until first set of true leaves. But in soil most potting mixes have enough nutrients can continue to give just PH'd water from that point for 4-6 weeks some soils have enough to go from start to finish. If solely growing outside find a cheap 24 inch t5ho ballast. I'm an LED guy myself but most t5s come with 64 or 6500k bulbs once it has true leaves you buy a full spectrum +uv bulb. Usually going from inside to out you must harden your plant off in other words get it acclimated to the difference in lighting weather it be a stronger lamp or the sun. I've taken rooted clones and stuck outside and the stress may cause them to turn hermaphrodite, may make them flower too early, or simply kill it. You do this by putting it outside for short amounts of time an hour one day 2 the next and so on or place in a shady area and you do the same but u can do for a bit longer. But I Found by have the uv bulb pretty much seamlessly can go from inside to out without a problem

10 days is a long time to be away from your plants. The ones in smaller pots may want to Transplant into larger ones a day or two before you leave. Unless you see rain coming in your 7 day forecast your may want to unfortunately fully saturate them the day you leave. The ones in large fabric pots if they have a good root system I would saturate and put the pot in a saucer and fill the saucer with water. Fabric is kinda hard to over water but will dry fairly quickly. I had few I was debating on putting in the ground or trashing. Were only in 3gal fabric but just little more then 2 day they where dry 4-5 days beyond return. In a pinch I and probably the cheapest way after watering the morning before u leave I'd go to Lowes or home depot or Amazon and purchase a watering globe but the ones you can screw a bottle onto maybe even better. I've had indoors plants in dwc ( deep water culture) where plants are sitting in water 24/7 and I've had them drink in a single day over a gallon of water. What size pots are the bjggest??

Oh ya I always start seedlings in solos. Soak, paper towel in a sandwich bag using sterile tweezers or a gloved gental hand place in middle of paper towel with where your tap root is goin to emerge pointing down then I place in a cabinet something in the 70-80 degree range and prop up, that way it sends the tap down and not out and curly. Then into solos, giving small amounts of water make the roots go searching for it and it will ensure you don't drown or dampen the seedling off. I usually put in a clear solo with 4-5 holes on the bottom then into a red or blue solo this way any extra water can be poured out incase u accidentally over water, and it also allows you to see how the roots are doing and when she's ready to be Transplanted. I only water with declorinated tap water (just let sit out in a bucket for 48 hours) or just spring water until first set of true leaves. But in soil most potting mixes have enough nutrients can continue to give just PH'd water from that point for 4-6 weeks some soils have enough to go from start to finish. If solely growing outside find a cheap 24 inch t5ho ballast. I'm an LED guy myself but most t5s come with 64 or 6500k bulbs once it has true leaves you buy a full spectrum +uv bulb. Usually going from inside to out you must harden your plant off in other words get it acclimated to the difference in lighting weather it be a stronger lamp or the sun. I've taken rooted clones and stuck outside and the stress may cause them to turn hermaphrodite, may make them flower too early, or simply kill it. You do this by putting it outside for short amounts of time an hour one day 2 the next and so on or place in a shady area and you do the same but u can do for a bit longer. But I Found by have the uv bulb pretty much seamlessly can go from inside to out without a problem
Hey @XiwsX561 thanks for all the advice! I can use all the help I can get and appreciate all of the good support on this forum. Indeed while rushing into my first grow I did make a number of blunders including starting my seedlings in too big pots and also some of my older plants showcase ‘how not to move plants outside’ as while I was aware of the need to harden them off, was not patient enough and gave them a pretty good sunburn in the process. My last two BH2 and HZ2 were started in solo cups directly outside after I’d researched and learned much more here and I think they’re doing much better so far.

10 days is a long time to be away from your plants. The ones in smaller pots may want to Transplant into larger ones a day or two before you leave. Unless you see rain coming in your 7 day forecast your may want to unfortunately fully saturate them the day you leave. The ones in large fabric pots if they have a good root system I would saturate and put the pot in a saucer and fill the saucer with water. Fabric is kinda hard to over water but will dry fairly quickly. I had few I was debating on putting in the ground or trashing. Were only in 3gal fabric but just little more then 2 day they where dry 4-5 days beyond return. In a pinch I and probably the cheapest way after watering the morning before u leave I'd go to Lowes or home depot or Amazon and purchase a watering globe but the ones you can screw a bottle onto maybe even better. I've had indoors plants in dwc ( deep water culture) where plants are sitting in water 24/7 and I've had them drink in a single day over a gallon of water. What size pots are the bjggest??
Regarding my 10-days away, I neglected to mention above but I’m lucky enough to have a friend of mine who’s a much more experienced grower than me agree to check in on my girls every 3-4 days while I’m away so he’ll be watering them on my behalf as needed. The fabric pots are 10-gallons and I expect BB1/2 and the Blood Orange Kush will be completely dry near the end of this week so I’ll be able to water them to runoff with nutes before I leave. The smaller ones are in ~1.5 gallon pots and should be watered fully with nutes by tomorrow evening so I expect my friend will need to give them a full watering with nutes as well while I’m away then they’ll be transplanted ASAP when I get back.
Thanks again for the support and keep all the good tips coming. Happy growing!

Your doing great I learned ass backwards started in hydro just now playing with soil and outdoors. The smaller ones where started outside right? I believe you said you did. They may look small but most likely have a well established root system. Much better then older plants did when they were that tall. The taller ones since stretched alot and got a late topping probably going to wanna stake them they are going to need the support and it's best if your goin to put them in the soil inside the pot to do it early that way roots recover if damaged, once in flower they slowly come to a halt and can stunt and shock plant if done late flower. Don't get Me wrong I've done it but it's not ideal.

I see looks you did some perlite or pumice is that in the mix or just on top. How long before you leave? Also to keep root Temps down and slow soil drying can place a cover crop, some hay or straw , river rock pebbles something that drains well and that's not black that will absorb the heat.
With the taller ones have you buddy show u how to lst train allow lower shoots (branches) to.catch up with the main, will also slow the growth of the main allowing it to get thicker.

Hey @XiwsX561 thanks for the words of encouragement!

The smaller ones where started outside right? I believe you said you did.
Yep the smallest/youngest two BH2 & HZ2 were started outside from Day 1.

The taller ones since stretched alot and got a late topping probably going to wanna stake them they are going to need the support

Thanks for the tip! I’ve been doing some research lately and just ordered some tomato cages which I can customize & assemble around the plants and extend up to 5.4ft tall. They should be delivered by the time I get back then I plan to use them for support and also for minor LST or tying fan leaves out of the way to allow sun access to the interior of the plants.
I see looks you did some perlite or pumice is that in the mix or just on top.
That’s perlite and is mixed throughout but because I didn’t pre-mix in a large separate container before filling the pots when it came time to add the last couple of inches after transplant I had to dump the ingredients on top and mix by hand. The perlite is in a huge bag so I definitely ended up with a higher % perlite near the top of the pot/on the surface. Lesson learned I should mix all the ingredients in a large separate container first to ensure a consistent mixture through the pots.
How long before you leave?
I’ll be leaving Saturday morning.
Also to keep root Temps down and slow soil drying can place a cover crop, some hay or straw , river rock pebbles something that drains well and that's not black that will absorb the heat.
I was reading up on mulching the top inch or two of the pots and there is room in all the fabric pots to do this, do you or anybody else have any experience with this and suggestions for what would be best? (Bark, hay, pebbles, etc.)

do you or anybody else have any experience with this and suggestions for what would be best? (Bark, hay, pebbles, etc.)
Hi Primeau, I use bark from trees in the yard. Folks use hay, and mulch of any kind, just no cedar. There's another that isn't to be used but I'm at a loss right now, Pine, oak, maple, all good. Pine is especially good I hear.

I bought a bag of organic pine mulch at my local nursery that worked well.
This is what my pots look like these days. Maybe a walk in the woods?
Nice looking plants! I do have a couple big forests near by but I think I’ll go store bought as I guess I worry about possibly bringing pests or other nasty things home with the wild forest bark:)

Cool thread, Primo
Thanks @Emeraldo , if you look ^^^ you can see first hand the aftermath of my BB1 FIMming attempt before you told me how to do it properly. I am thinking of topping BB1 again and also the Grape Drink but while I have a better theoretical understanding of how it should be done, I’m still not confident I’d pull it off so might chicken out and go with plain old topping.

The first time I tried to fim, I just cut leaves, too. On my current thread, I posted a couple of photos of what that looked like, and also one of a successful fim-job. You just need to look closely for the tip where growth occurs and snip it (not leaves) off. The plant will do the rest!

Nice looking plants! I do have a couple big forests near by but I think I’ll go store bought as I guess I worry about possibly bringing pests or other nasty things home with the wild forest bark:)
That's true! I forgot to mention to put it in some foil and into the bbq grill at around 200F for an hour! Sorry about that!

That's true! I forgot to mention to put it in some foil and into the bbq grill at around 200F for an hour! Sorry about that!
No worries, appreciate all your help! I like the BBQ idea, when I was researching soils I came by across a number of recommendations to bake the soil in the oven to kill off any nastys. The idea of putting dirt in my oven was a bit appalling and I’m sure my wife wouldn’t got for it. Putting it in the BBQ instead is far more appealing to me.

No worries, appreciate all your help! I like the BBQ idea, when I was researching soils I came by across a number of recommendations to bake the soil in the oven to kill off any nastys. The idea of putting dirt in my oven was a bit appalling and I’m sure my wife wouldn’t got for it. Putting it in the BBQ instead is far more appealing to me.
I’m with you on that one. I bet baking dirt and bark and stuff gets pretty stinky inside.

NTH

Yeah, it has the most earthy smell and surprisingly strong.

Update for today, BH2 and HZ2 pots had dried out and were watered fully getting their first taste of the Reefertilizer nutes. I also gave them a soaking with Safers Insecticidal Soap last night followed by a rinse with plain water this morning.
Blood Orange Kush’s 10g fabric pot was dried out as well so it got a heavy watering with nutes. The other plants still had some water to drink and just got a small amount mostly around the edges, all with nutes.
I tried my hand at FIMming again today on BB1 and Grape Drink, here’s the closeups where I cut:

BB1:

Grape Drink:

@Emeraldo what do you think? Does it look right this time or did I miss again?

I leave tomorrow morning for at least 10 days so there should be some good growth and we’ll be able to see how the FIMs worked out when I get back.

I’ll post a group shot tomorrow morning before I leave and I expect the plants to be nice and perky from today’s watering and feeding.

That’s all, Happy Growing everyone!

Looks about right, Primo! You'll see the growth in a few days. Have a look at my recent 3-stemmed Durban, recently fimmed and now pushing up new growth. Photos posted in my current journal. Be well!

Back
Top Bottom