Pot size question

rokkie

420 Member
Hi all.

I have my little girls in this pots. I had the problem that I gave then water, approximately 30% the pot volume and it passed 6 days and the soil was still humid in the first 4cm.
So I read lots of awesome posts here and found a recommendation to make holes on the side of the pots to improve air and drainage.
As I was doing then I notice I have already one or 2 roots going out. Should I change them to a bigger pot?

Plus if you gave give me some feedback on their state would be awesome.

Thanks in advance
PXL_20240427_195702011.jpg

Hey!!

Hmm no, none of those are ready to upcan just yet. Roots out the bottom are ok but you want the whole container to be 1 solid mass of roots before upsizing again.

Right now you’ve got an airflow problem waiting to happen, lose the extra container they are sitting in, maybe set them on grate like oven rack or cookie sheet with fan moving air underneath. Grate above / drip pan below but plenty of air movement underneath. When you do upcan you want something 2 or 3X bigger than those. Consider that cloth pots will shorten your wet dry cycle which will speed up growth and give more oxygen to the root zone,

Looks good but think you may be watering too frequently… maybe try this- tilt container to steep 45 degree angle and prop them up so they won’t tip over, leave them tilted over nite and it should cause them to pee out the excess water and reset water table to lower level. Reposition them as normal tomorrow…but keep airflow underneath ramped up if possible.

Also fyi if there’s stone, ceramic tile or concrete slab under tent that’s a no no. Need to raise plants above those types of floors.

How often do you water? Need high rh for veg, low rh for flower, 84 is target temperature for inside tent

Once things get dried out they should perk up nicely

I am trying to master the finger technique, but last time I was still feeling moist when they started to drop. I put then some water and they got directly up.
Hey!!

Hmm no, none of those are ready to upcan just yet. Roots out the bottom are ok but you want the whole container to be 1 solid mass of roots before upsizing again.

Right now you’ve got an airflow problem waiting to happen, lose the extra container they are sitting in, maybe set them on grate like oven rack or cookie sheet with fan moving air underneath. Grate above / drip pan below but plenty of air movement underneath. When you do upcan you want something 2 or 3X bigger than those. Consider that cloth pots will shorten your wet dry cycle which will speed up growth and give more oxygen to the root zone,

Looks good but think you may be watering too frequently… maybe try this- tilt container to steep 45 degree angle and prop them up so they won’t tip over, leave them tilted over nite and it should cause them to pee out the excess water and reset water table to lower level. Reposition them as normal tomorrow…but keep airflow underneath ramped up if possible.

Also fyi if there’s stone, ceramic tile or concrete slab under tent that’s a no no. Need to raise plants above those types of floors

How often do you water? Once things get dried out they should perk up…
I'm trying to master the finger technique, but last time I tried I was still feeling moist but they were dropping down. I gave them water and they got all better in no time. I water then till now just once 3 times in 2 and a half weeks. It's my first plants, I spend hour here reading and seeing videos but I am still missing field experience. I'm trying to learn with the community and it's quite a ride, its easy to get lost specially with videos because it's really hard to find troubleshooting ones, all just show perfect grows or with minor problems. I'll take your advice and give you feedback tomorrow. Very big thanks!

Hey!!

Also fyi if there’s stone, ceramic tile or concrete slab under tent that’s a no no. Need to raise plants above those types of floors.

How often do you water? Need high rh for veg, low rh for flower, 84 is target temperature for inside tent

Once things get dried out they should perk up nicely
Just one question, so I can build the logic, taking the pots out of the pots will expose to light the holes, isn't that a problem?

Sure! Ok so both yes and no…weed roots hate exposure to light but they still need the air. There will be small void at each hole where the roots automatically light prune and air prune anyway.

It has to be both dark and moist for roots to grow, that why they show up underneath but not on sides… once you block light and give moisture then weed roots can survive exposed to air. When weed roots are exposed above soil then they must bark over with protective coating but generally speaking weed roots avoid light

I’d go for the option with most air flow

Sure! Ok so both yes and no…weed roots hate exposure to light but they still need the air. There will be small void at each hole where the roots automatically light prune and air prune anyway.

It has to be both dark and moist for roots to grow, that why they show up underneath but not on sides… once you block light and give moisture then weed roots can survive exposed to air. When weed roots are exposed above soil then they must bark over with protective coating but generally speaking weed roots avoid light

I’d go for the option with most air flow
Took your advice, no water dropped during the nights, but the reading with the hygrometer went down to 4 and 5 so it helped, big thanks!

I am trying to master the finger technique, but last time I was still feeling moist when they started to drop. I put then some water and they got directly up.
Checking the amount of moisture in a pot of soil by poking a finger is popular with those who have slow growing houseplants. It will involve testing in all types of soil mixes.

If trying to grow a Cannabis plant to the point where it is ready to be flowered it will take years of testing before the finger technique will be close to being mastered.

Lot easier to learn the basics behind using the weight of the pot of soil and how heavy it feels when being picked up to give an idea of how wet or dry it is.

Checking the amount of moisture in a pot of soil by poking a finger is popular with those who have slow growing houseplants. It will involve testing in all types of soil mixes.

If trying to grow a Cannabis plant to the point where it is ready to be flowered it will take years of testing before the finger technique will be close to being mastered.

Lot easier to learn the basics behind using the weight of the pot of soil and how heavy it feels when being picked up to give an idea of how wet or dry it is.
Thanks for the advice. I see a lot a reference to that technique but it's seems to require a sensibility to it also, to compensate the weight difference compared with the plan growth, any advice for it or recommendation for a guide.

Back
Top Bottom