My HPS smelt of smoke and turned off? Euro reflector wiring burnt?

hazeluv69

Hey I’ve got a 600w digital ballast with a 600 boost lamp & it just started smelling and turntable off, purchased numerous bulbs they just flash and don’t come on and now realised the euro reflected has a burnt out wire? How could this have been caused and does this mean I just have to buy a new euro reflected or whole light kit?

4B2918D0-C0BB-4A31-9A6E-57811F0F38C7.jpeg

It might take a day or two before someone notices your question.

I am not an electrician but if it smells like burned wiring and if every bulb you put in flashes and stops working then I would think that there is a serious problem.

You could consider taking it back to the store and asking them if the light and reflector can be fixed.

lol really impatient ain’t i ! Need to know what I have to buy & I bought it from another town over a year ago & it seems to me to be the euro reflector/ hood as I can see and attached loose wiring with black all over it. However another hydro shop where I purchased bulbs from have said to bring my equipment and they will run a test. I’m 90% certain it’s the reflector as the wiring . Just didn’t want to go buy a new reflector and it doesn’t work again fs

Sounds like the best course of action.

They should be able to tell you if the problem is just a wire that burned through because of a loose connection. Or, maybe one of the parts went bad and caused an overload which burned the wire. Taking it to the store means that you might have the light and reflector back home and working like new.

Let us know what they found and whether they were able to fix it. That will help out someone who might have a similar problem.

Sounds like the best course of action.

They should be able to tell you if the problem is just a wire that burned through because of a loose connection. Or, maybe one of the parts went bad and caused an overload which burned the wire. Taking it to the store means that you might have the light and reflector back home and working like new.

Let us know what they found and whether they were able to fix it. That will help out someone who might have a similar problem.
Will do, my other option is just hoping and buying a new reflector, since going down to the local hydro with all my lighting equipment isn’t the most discreet in my circumstances lol. We shall see. Peace out. Btw got a cheap a** LED under them rn hope they will be okay and forgiving.

I had a similar issue with a 600watt hps, my issue was the wires creating so much heat it melted the plug to the outlet cover creating a short. Hopefully you are dealing with equipment defects rather then home wiring issues.

I had a similar issue with a 600watt hps, my issue was the wires creating so much heat it melted the plug to the outlet cover creating a short. Hopefully you are dealing with equipment defects rather then home wiring issues.
Wow hope you have come far from that bro. I have not wired anything myself or the sorts, exactly how it came out the box, starting to think maybe the intense heat from the bulb melted the wire , it had all kind of black tar on it and was clearly disconnected. Most definitely equipment defect

Loose connections burn down houses, it's a good thing you caught it before something disastrous happened. Electrical equipment should be UL certified, if not you are running the risk of fire or shock. If anything is melted or damaged it's best to get a new reflector.
Exactly what is on my mind Everytime I leave my girls alone! And UL certified is that the same as like in the UK ce certified ? Going to the hydro tomorrow to invest in a new set which is certified.

& I only caught it because my light turned off randomly and wouldn’t come back on. Scares me now wondering if it hadn’t turned off and something worse ffs

Wow hope you have come far from that bro. I have not wired anything myself or the sorts, exactly how it came out the box, starting to think maybe the intense heat from the bulb melted the wire , it had all kind of black tar on it and was clearly disconnected. Most definitely equipment defect
Long ways, I was unaware of the dangers of aluminum wiring and what could happen when you overload the circuits. I was lucky it didn’t cause me to BBQ my house since the breaker never tripped once.
I’m inclined to agree though looks like it was in prolonged contact with the bulb or reflector then arced when the coating melted.

Long ways, I was unaware of the dangers of aluminum wiring and what could happen when you overload the circuits. I was lucky it didn’t cause me to BBQ my house since the breaker never tripped once.
I’m inclined to agree though looks like it was in prolonged contact with the bulb or reflector then arced when the coating melted.

very much agree. Hope we all stay safe out here! And would you recommend any reflector for a 600w digital ballast and 600w bulb? I’ve heard about the air cooling reflectors but they seem an awful expensive

Yes it is, except CE is not optional, equipment must have it in the UK and Europe. The USA allows the UL certification to be optional which is why there are lights and other electrical equipment out there that isn't certified.
Damnnnn for real? Eyes open now, no mucking around from me. Will definitely purchase a CE marked reflector

Back
Top Bottom