Max's First Grow - Soil - LED - Painkiller XL

Yup... It's an exciting time to think about. It will be here faster than you know it.

Remember your HPS woes?

Maybe this will cheer you up too? Vlad's oven??? Week 3 in flower

IMG_056037.JPG

V:bongrip:

Vladdy-hell! how are you keeping that cool? Wait... are you decarbing whilst still on the plant? ;-)

:-D She's exceeding my expectations so far. I'm excited to think there may actually be a harvest in 8 weeks. I may be jumping the gun a little, but I'm already reading up on drying and curing.

Good call, the earlier you get on setting up the next stage the better. We assumed we had our drying space figured out, then had to delay a harvest by a couple of days because we were wrong...

:)

Vladdy-hell! how are you keeping that cool? Wait... are you decarbing whilst still on the plant? ;-)

:rofl:

To Clone or Not to Clone

That is the question. I'm sure this isn't recommended, but here goes..

I do not have a second tent/box/enclosure for clones yet, but there are at least 4 low down branches doing nothing and begging to be chopped off. I have some Root Riot plugs and wondered if I should bother sticking those branches in there (it's day 15 of flip and yesterday flowers started showing). Problem is they would have to stay in the flower tent for up to 7 more days.

I guess the question is; is this a waste of the Root Riot plugs? Would they ever recover enough to go into re-veg? They would have 7 - 8 weeks back in the yet to be created veg tent before this first run is harvested. Is there any point?

I have plenty of seeds, but no more Painkiller XL's. It won't be a problem to go buy more PK XL seeds.

It would only cost me about £50 to get a small second tent and a 250w CFL to go in the reflector that got replaced by a cool tube. Oh and if they got smelly then add another £80 for filter and extractor. Ok, I think I'm talking myself out of this as I don't have time to bugger about getting the bits right now. I can grow the next lot from seed and I have lots of different high CBD strains to go at. Plus I need to get the grow room out of the guest bedroom and locked away in my home office. This will require custom cabinets as tents just won't fit.

In other news; the lowest temp recorded last night was 63. Still a bit low but getting there.

As you were.

with out stating the obvious can u not just pull heater out of tent. i have spaces where temps have dropped below 50 without probs. The key is too try get consistent temps so the plants can adapt to them.

Nice buy on the audi. I have an s4 and a RS6 Avant. best cars out there :)

I don't think I can take the heater out of the tent. It is no longer clicking on during the day and is needed at night to stop the buggers freezing. I'm taking intake air from a vented window and can't cut holes to draw in directly from outside. I'm getting there with it all though. Off work from the day job to work on private projects so I too can have an RS as my second car ;-) This means I can play with the tent from time to time. I've just rerouted the cold air intake again and cranked the HPS back up to 600w. On 400w temps are holding at 82 - 84.

Got to dash but I'll explain the air intake and night heater more once I've cracked some code.

Can you setup a stealth window? By placing bamboo blinds up first, the covering that up with a plywood type box with your intake/outtake ports in the box, and to the outside world looks like you just have blinds up. Dunno this may have already been covered, and hell you may already have this lol. I didn't go back and check through your journal. Sorry if Im beating a dead horse

the clones would root but if they are feminised its risky cos they getting messed with too much. id wait til u had a small box or tent. start your pips in there then take cuts next round. i know people who take cuts in early flower but they take longer too root and id just worry they be unstable. its costly if they hermie on you.

you shouldnt need filter or even extraction for a clone room. opening the tent once a day would be more than adequate.

Hi Max, I enjoyed your journal.. Best of luck with your babies.. ive had lots of luck cloning from flowering and they are more bush than the moms were.. It takes longer to root but it worked.. Kept them in bedroom window in solo cups with Ziploc bag over em.. The bedroom lights keep it from being completely dark to halt the flowering cycle.. Some people recommend putting them under 24 hours light until revegged.. But this worked for me

To Clone or Not to Clone

That is the question. I'm sure this isn't recommended, but here goes..

I do not have a second tent/box/enclosure for clones yet, but there are at least 4 low down branches doing nothing and begging to be chopped off. I have some Root Riot plugs and wondered if I should bother sticking those branches in there (it's day 15 of flip and yesterday flowers started showing). Problem is they would have to stay in the flower tent for up to 7 more days.

I guess the question is; is this a waste of the Root Riot plugs? Would they ever recover enough to go into re-veg? They would have 7 - 8 weeks back in the yet to be created veg tent before this first run is harvested. Is there any point?

I have plenty of seeds, but no more Painkiller XL's. It won't be a problem to go buy more PK XL seeds.

It would only cost me about £50 to get a small second tent and a 250w CFL to go in the reflector that got replaced by a cool tube. Oh and if they got smelly then add another £80 for filter and extractor. Ok, I think I'm talking myself out of this as I don't have time to bugger about getting the bits right now. I can grow the next lot from seed and I have lots of different high CBD strains to go at. Plus I need to get the grow room out of the guest bedroom and locked away in my home office. This will require custom cabinets as tents just won't fit.

In other news; the lowest temp recorded last night was 63. Still a bit low but getting there.

As you were.

It sounds like you already talked yourself out of cloning this time around, but just know it is not to late, and a clone is not going to put off any order until it roots and becomes much larger. I would do it... but I like watching them root and knowing if the pressure is on I can do it. I have thrown many out once they made it just to stay within legal limits. Like any aspect of growing, it can be fun and rewarding.

LMAO! I use 1 fan. It looks similar to 4inch PC cooler fan but bigger and run off 110V

Kudos for your swell mobility acquisition Comrade :thumb:

I hope for the sake of mankind that your Audi has 3 pedals. One for your left foot and two for the right :cheesygrinsmiley:

I can't stand automatics or DSG or anything less than, a 6 speed manual transmission :bongrip::bongrip:

But then again, if I ever get into burger munching or texting or playing angry birds while driving, I may change my mind :rofl:

In some countries, like USA, the stick is a dying tradition.
Even Porsche Cayenne only has the V6 non turbo with stick ...

Vlad

LMAO! I use 1 fan. It looks similar to 4inch PC cooler fan but bigger and run off 110V

Kudos for your swell mobility acquisition Comrade :thumb:

I hope for the sake of mankind that your Audi has 3 pedals. One for your left foot and two for the right :cheesygrinsmiley:

I can't stand automatics or DSG or anything less than, a 6 speed manual transmission :bongrip::bongrip:

But then again, if I ever get into burger munching or texting or playing angry birds while driving, I may change my mind :rofl:

In some countries, like USA, the stick is a dying tradition.
Even Porsche Cayenne only has the V6 non turbo with stick ...

Vlad

You are right about stick shifts becoming a dying breed. When we bought our newest car (Subaru Outback) I had to fly from Michigan to Colorado to get it. They say automatics get better gas mileage now days.... which seems strange. I guess we just like the feeling of "DRIVING" rather than pointing :)

The car has an auto clutch and paddle shift on the steering wheel - best of both worlds. I once absolutely swore I'd never get a car without a clutch - to me driving is about the fun of playing with gears. Then I found a gorgeous Audi A4 at a bargain price - ex demonstrator with £6,000 off the price. I pretty much decided I was having it until I found out it had the Multitronic gearbox. The guy convinced me to test drive it and when I discovered the paddle shift I was happy. Now I'd have nothing else. Fuel economy when the motorway was stop-start was incredible and I realised how much changing between 1st and 2nd none stop pissed me off.

I'm a convert, so I looked for auto clutch on the new car.

Hi Max, I enjoyed your journal.. Best of luck with your babies.. ive had lots of luck cloning from flowering and they are more bush than the moms were.. It takes longer to root but it worked.. Kept them in bedroom window in solo cups with Ziploc bag over em.. The bedroom lights keep it from being completely dark to halt the flowering cycle.. Some people recommend putting them under 24 hours light until revegged.. But this worked for me

Thanks and welcome Deeleeshush. Glad you enjoyed my wibbles, trials and tribulations

Cooling Woes Fixed

The winning configuration of ducting and fans.. I forgot to take the towel down for the photo *looks shamed*
IMG_430411.JPG

The cold inlet pipe now runs completely across the tent and ends at the fan that blows under the HPS
IMG_430711.JPG

Even at 600w on the HPS, temps are steady at 82, which I can live with. It's taken a lot of thought and experimentation to get to this point.

I'll have to consider the stealth inlet idea +reps to Fopho for that one, but I'll wait until I change rooms.

The girls love the HPS/LED combo and are bigger every time I look at them
IMG_430611.JPG

Thanks for all the helpful advice

Good call, the earlier you get on setting up the next stage the better. We assumed we had our drying space figured out, then had to delay a harvest by a couple of days because we were wrong...

:)

I must re-read how you did it in the end. I think paper bags feature strongly in the method I favour so far... but I'm not fixated on one particular method yet. I do know it will have to be in the tent with the carbon filter, probably with the lights off and the heater on low. It's scary to think that 3 months of effort can be wasted with a bad cure.

Boveda packs also feature strongly to keep a constant 62% for the curing period. I've got three Mason jars ready for the harvest but I keep looking at the 50+ bud sites thinking it may not be enough if this all pans out. Can I ask how much you put in each jar?

You mights well order at least one small digital hygrometer for peace of mind. The ones by Caliber lV (digital hygrometer) are good and will fit inside your standard one quart mason jar, along with about 3/4 Oz of bud. Leave a little room.

82 is spot on mate. you have alot of duct in the tent. In future get a bigger cool tube shade and just keep it higher up with less duct. then it will handle 600w easy. 600w in a 1.2x1.2 area should def be yielding 500-600grams or something seriously wrong.

No pressure then ;-) My scrog net is 70cm x 70cm - I thought it was 80cm when I did my light calculation so all my watts per square foot numbers will be 15% higher than I originally worked out.

I rushed into the 5" cool tube and fan purchase.. should have put a shout out first in hindsight.

Back
Top Bottom