How much longer would you wait to harvest?

JayM

Hi all,

First time grower, growing 2 AK-47 plants and they are getting close to harvest (one more than the other). Was looking at my plant with a 60x loupe, seeing almost all milky trichomes and just today have seen my first couple of amber trichomes!

From what I have read, harvesting with a higher ratio of milky to amber trichomes generally produces a more energetic head high, and harvesting on the more amber side will produce more of a so-called couch lock effect. 'm never sure what's really true about all of this, but this milky to amber ratio method seems legit to me? But then I read people say "wait that extra week and you'll thank me" saying that the buds will keep packing on mass and cutting now would be a mistake.

I'm attaching photos and asking just for people's recommendations and advice (I know my photos are not zoomed in enough to see the trichomes) on if I should wait and if so how long? What would you experienced growers suggest in terms of a clear/cloudy/amber ratio of the trichomes? I also see that 50% or more of my pistols are still white and have not receded deeper into the bud. Just looking for some advice and some peace of mind, I'm getting anxious and excited over here.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4291.jpg
    IMG_4291.jpg
    961.5 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_4292.jpg
    IMG_4292.jpg
    748.1 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_4293.jpg
    IMG_4293.jpg
    751.7 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_4295.jpg
    IMG_4295.jpg
    684.6 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG_4296.jpg
    IMG_4296.jpg
    767.4 KB · Views: 373
Thanks for the reply.
I did check them with a 60x loupe, almost all cloudy, almost no clear and the odd single amber trichome.

Is that on the leaves or the buds. I try to inspect many different buds from top to the bottom of the plant. Then go hy personal preference. More amber for a more sedated high

Just by looking at your plants I’d say those buds can fatten up some more and there are a lot of white hairs sticking straight up. Make sure you are looking at the buds and not the sugar leaves when looking through your loupe. The trichomes on the sugar leaves change sooner. How long since the flip to flower?

Just by looking at your plants I’d say those buds can fatten up some more and there are a lot of white hairs sticking straight up. Make sure you are looking at the buds and not the sugar leaves when looking through your loupe. The trichomes on the sugar leaves change sooner. How long since the flip to flower?

Thanks Derek. The buds have the odd amber trichome, probably 90% of trichomes are milky and under 10% were clear. I am just beginning week 6 of flower, but this strain is called "fast AK" and flowering time says 7-9 weeks. I guess I should probable give it some time.

I would wait just based off what I can see. You can see the trichomes so you have the best information. You could harvest in stages and take a bud a week so you can annotate the effects to your trichome ratio. Best way to figure out what you like and when to harvest that particular strain

I would wait just based off what I can see. You can see the trichomes so you have the best information. You could harvest in stages and take a bud a week so you can annotate the effects to your trichome ratio. Best way to figure out what you like and when to harvest that particular strain
Great advice. Thanks a lot, I think I will do that.

Yeah, looks like a bunch of white pistils. Might be a little early to harvest the whole plant. Harvesting in stages might be just the ticket.

Hi all,

First time grower, growing 2 AK-47 plants and they are getting close to harvest (one more than the other). Was looking at my plant with a 60x loupe, seeing almost all milky trichomes and just today have seen my first couple of amber trichomes!

From what I have read, harvesting with a higher ratio of milky to amber trichomes generally produces a more energetic head high, and harvesting on the more amber side will produce more of a so-called couch lock effect. 'm never sure what's really true about all of this, but this milky to amber ratio method seems legit to me? But then I read people say "wait that extra week and you'll thank me" saying that the buds will keep packing on mass and cutting now would be a mistake.

I'm attaching photos and asking just for people's recommendations and advice (I know my photos are not zoomed in enough to see the trichomes) on if I should wait and if so how long? What would you experienced growers suggest in terms of a clear/cloudy/amber ratio of the trichomes? I also see that 50% or more of my pistols are still white and have not receded deeper into the bud. Just looking for some advice and some peace of mind, I'm getting anxious and excited over here.

Thanks!
When you think you're done wait 2 more weeks. Tgat has helped me a lot when I was new

seeing that all of your previously straight out white pistils are now bending over at the top and starting to crinkle, I am confident saying that you are just now entering that last phase of bloom, the final 2 week bud swell. This point is where I flush the soil of all buildups with a 3x the container flush, and then push hard for the next two weeks with nutes and as much water as she can take up right till the end.

Thanks a lot Emilya!

Really?? So you flush and then reintroduce nutes until the very end? This whole flush thing is another confusing one for me. Some say to flush and let the plant somewhat cannibalize itself, some say nutes until the end and some say to just slowly minimize the nutes until the end.

Still trying to figure all of this out.

seeing that all of your previously straight out white pistils are now bending over at the top and starting to crinkle, I am confident saying that you are just now entering that last phase of bloom, the final 2 week bud swell. This point is where I flush the soil of all buildups with a 3x the container flush, and then push hard for the next two weeks with nutes and as much water as she can take up right till the end.

U didn't ask about that but watching those picture u lights seems too close to the plant or it's too hot in your room. U have some strange strange streaching on a buds at the second picture and u leaves are curling witch it's russet mites or heat stress. Make more researches if u want

The4th picture not second one,but u plnta looks clean probably it's heat stress not mites
Thanks for the reply, yes agreed, I have 2 plants the one you are talking about is my second plant in that tent. I agree, I looked into it and it seems like my light was too close as only that bud has those curling leaves on it. That made me think it's just from the light (which I hope).

Why do you think it's stretching like that? It looks weird, I moved my fans to try to cool that plant down a bit. Hopefully I can save it, there's 4 colas between 8 inches and 10 inches long.. but they don't look too fat. Hope I'll be ok.

Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom