Brianaan & SixthEddie's First Grow - Headband - Star Dawg & Grape Ape

Brianaan

Hello,

I, alongside sixtheddie, have started our first ever CFL grow. While we are both very new at this, we are excited to learn the ins and outs of growing. We currently started growing about two weeks ago, when we went to a local dispensary to pick up 3 clones. (1 sativa and 2 indicas).

We have used this website alot lately as the community of growers have been really helpful with all our questions and concerns. I am mainly keeping this journal to track what I have learned so far, but if it's seems interesting feel free to subscribe!

A bit of information on the plants and setup:
What strain is it? Headband, Grape Ape and Star Dawg
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? 1 sativa and 2 indicas
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Veg Stage
If in Veg... For how long? 2nd week or about 10 days
If in Flower stage... For how long? NA
Indoor or outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? Soil
If soil... what is in your mix? 70% organic soil, 30% perlite
If soil... What size pot? 3gal pot, I believe
Size of light? 12 23w CFL bulbs, (4 on each plant)
Is it aircooled? no
Temp of Room/cab? 74 degrees
RH of Room/cab? 70%
PH of media or res? not sure
Any Pests ? No
How often are you watering? when soil is dry, about every 3 days
Type and strength of ferts used? Fox Farm's Grow Big and Big Bloom, dosage on the bottle

WEEK 1 Update:

These are pictures from the day we bought them:
Star Dawg (Indica)
DSC_010819.JPG

Grape Ape (Indica)
DSC_011124.JPG

Headband (Sativa)
DSC_011018.JPG

During week 1, we had some problems with the roots establishing themselves in the soil. Headband and Star Dawg were doing really good compared to Grape Ape as it started to droop. We were given the advice to create a humidity dome and place it over the top of the plant. After doing so, the plant started to do much better. And is looking great.
Before
image17532.jpg

After
image17555.jpg

They all seem to being doing great after placing humidity domes on all three of them.

Stay tuned for Week 2 update! :)

-brianaan

re: Brianaan & SixthEddie's First Grow - Headband - Star Dawg & Grape Ape

WEEK 2 UPDATE

Hi Everyone!

Today is Day 10 of the veg stage.

So lately the plants/leaves have been getting a little yellow. While we originally thought it was over watering, it was in fact because of under watering. We asked for everyone's advice on here and gave it a good nuteless watering with the pH of around 6.5 about 4 nights ago. Below are the pictures of plants before and after.

BEFORE:
headband28.JPG
headband34.JPG
Headband28.JPG
Grape_Ape8.JPG
StarDawg.JPG

AFTER:
get-attachment_2_5.jpg
get-attachment_4_3.jpg
get-attachment_8_2.jpg
IMG_38286.JPG

Earlier today we watered them again with nutes, and are excited to see the results! I will be sure to update within the next few days. :)

-brianaan

1/26/15 Star Dawg
1_26_15_stardawg1.JPG

1/27/15 Star Dawg
1_27_15_stardawg1.JPG

1/26/15 Headband
1_26_15_headband1.JPG

1/27/15 Headband
1_27_15_headband1.JPG

1/27/15 Headband Deficiency
1_27_15_headband_2_1.JPG

1/26/15 Grape Ape
1_26_15_grapesape1.JPG

1/27/15 Grape Ape
1_27_15_grapeape1.JPG

So far everything is progressing nicely,
Average 55% humidity, 72-78 temp.
On the Headband, I believe there is either a Manganese or Potassium deficiency... not too sure which if anyone could help that'd be great. We also believe that because of all the issues with had with the Grape Ape that it has stunted growth. I know hes an indica and they see more of their growth in flower but hes been sitting around 8-9 inches for quite some time but looking healthy. Whereas the Star Dawg has grew 3-4 inches in the past couple days.

:popcorn:

Subscribed. I believe that your plants either have heat stress or a magnesium deficiency. Your Headband appears to have either a calcium deficiency or a potassium deficiency. I would use a calcium and magnesium supplement. I would place your Compact Florescent Light bulbs 5"-6" from your plants.

I would introduce a calcium and magnesium supplement containing calcium nitrate and magnesium nitrate Such as Botanicare's Cal-Mag Plus after 2 good weeks of vegetative growth from a seedling. Cal-Mag Plus and CaliMagic are synthetic calcium and magnesium supplements. If you are using a natural source of calcium and magnesium based calcium and magnesium supplement such as General Organics CaMg+ you can start to add at the start of vegetative growth. I use Botanicare's Cal-Mag Plus at 5-8 milliliters or 1-1 1/2 teaspoon per gallon as a calcium and magnesium supplement for the majority of my cannabis plants.

(Click on the photographs for direct links to the products)

well KJC was faster than me I was looking at the other thread before I came to this journal and I was thinking you might wanna add some cal/mag
KJC your too quik :rofl:

okay thanks! i'll pick some up tomorrow and add it the next time I water them :)

Well to start of, Hi and thanks to everyone taking their time to join us on our adventure!
Lots to update...
- 2x4x6'11 Gorilla Lite Line Grow Tent
- 4"x8 Phresh Filter
- 4" Inline Grow1 Fan
- Speed Controller
Absolutely love it, first tent but it's better than I had expected. Here it is all closed up:
DSC_04752.JPG

Then at the top we have our 4" ducting running the exhaust over to right above our window.
DSC_04773.JPG

This was my 2nd time putting this up, after the first time I didn't like it thinking the light cords were blocked off since it was sitting all over the middle of the main bar. Moved the exhaust and fan over to the 2 supporting bars and wasn't liking that idea any more so moved it back and used zip tie to hold lights around the exhaust.
DSC_04804.JPG

DSC_04815.JPG
DSC_04825.JPG

This is the zip ties I was talking about :smokin:
DSC_04853.JPG

Our canopy. Was going to try to make a veg chamber on the right and flower on the left but I don't think im gonna be able to light proof so it's sort of a lost idea at the moment.
DSC_04785.JPG

Our canopy side view.
DSC_04874.JPG

Star Dawg is doing great as usual!
DSC_04883.JPG

Headband has been amazing me, it's a Sativia strain so obviously it was going to grow taller than my other 2 indicas but when we hung the netting we pulled it down and now its having some crazy spread out beautiful growth. Accidently snapped one of the top main stalk but it was minor, hoping she can recover.
DSC_04892.JPG

Without doubt we believe our Grape Ape has stunted growth, as she cannot pass 11", excited to see what flower is like though.
DSC_04903.JPG

Sweet setup now all you need is to replace them cfl's with led's

Nice clean set-up.

Sweet setup now all you need is to replace them cfl's with led's

I know, that is my goal but funds are a tad short at the moment. Bought everything for growing them in an outside closet space and then decided to get the tent and everything for the tent... it's been a learning experience. How big of a led do you think I need for the 2x4x6'11? I was thinking a 300watt would defiantly do the job.

Are you using cfl's all the way through got these to there underneath cfl's but now I'm slamming them with almost 2500watts in a 4x8 16" from the canopy

First Scrog

Till I get an LED ill be using the CFL's all the way.. but to be honest were using the 23 watt bulbs Daylight a 6k lumens a piece and times that by 4 for each plant, and whatever light spills over next to it. We have had pretty good growth for just under 100 watts a plant...

Just have some quick questions for you guys,

1. We have a 4"x8 Phresh Filter => Grow1 4" Inline Fan (Product description says 171CFM) => 4 feet of Ducting with 2 tiny turns less then 30 degrees.... On max speed we can maintain 81 degrees all closed up.. But that's about as cool as it'll get.. Is our fan too small? I wanted the 6" but my hydro guy said 4" would do the job fine. We do have x12 23 watt cfl's that do put off a good amount of heat in all small 2x4 space.

2. We bought a Root Riot, just cause it came with a small amount of Clonex included, and a humidity dome. Yesterday we tried to clone and pulled 5 off our Star Dawg and planted them into the cube fine. Left it in the tent under a set of 4 23 watt cfls and the dome would not get any condensation on it or "fog" up... Knowing the tent wasnt going to be very warm I put them into a little veg box and got it up to 85 with spray on the dome prior to putting it on, and nothing happened... help??

Thanks for the feedback, it's always appreciated :roorrip:

300 is more than enough on 2x4

Still looking for some answers to my two questions on the first page at the bottom, much would be appreciated. Just to update you guys were about to switch our ladies into flower, they've been flushed, took our clones and trimmed them up.
Star Dawg:
20150205_140648.jpg

Grape Ape: (with her stunted growth she hasn't had much vertical growth so we trimmed all her bottom foliage and she looks extremely happy)
20150205_140700.jpg

Headband:
20150205_140705.jpg

And here's some pictures of my little cloning box:
20150205_140507.jpg
20150205_140433.jpg
20150205_140538.jpg
20150205_140550.jpg

Just have some quick questions for you guys,

1. We have a 4"x8 Phresh Filter => Grow1 4" Inline Fan (Product description says 171CFM) => 4 feet of Ducting with 2 tiny turns less then 30 degrees.... On max speed we can maintain 81 degrees all closed up.. But that's about as cool as it'll get.. Is our fan too small? I wanted the 6" but my hydro guy said 4" would do the job fine. We do have x12 23 watt cfl's that do put off a good amount of heat in all small 2x4 space.

2. We bought a Root Riot, just cause it came with a small amount of Clonex included, and a humidity dome. Yesterday we tried to clone and pulled 5 off our Star Dawg and planted them into the cube fine. Left it in the tent under a set of 4 23 watt cfls and the dome would not get any condensation on it or "fog" up... Knowing the tent wasnt going to be very warm I put them into a little veg box and got it up to 85 with spray on the dome prior to putting it on, and nothing happened... help??

Thanks for the feedback, it's always appreciated :roorrip:

your in soil 81 should be ok

it wont clone immediately it takes time
you can always mist in there every so often once its start to root slowly a bit at a time lift the dome up
if it starts to damp off cover it to the point where it wasn't damping off and try again later
there are better ways to clone I use a cheap home made bubble cloner small airpump or dual airpump a stone or 2
some neoprene pucks water no dome water lvl just about touching the bottom of the cutting
the airpump with the stones create a mist and just leave it till it roots

Back
Top Bottom