$350 Start Up Closet Grow - Planning Stage

Hoppy

Hello 420 Forum!

Been getting some amazing information and knowledge from this forum and it has inspired me to start growing my own meds. I'm fairly confident that with the info this forum provides, anyone can grow successfully, but I still have a few questions!

It's a long read, sorry, I like to plan, organize, and be prepared! Please skip to the very bottom of this post if you want to bypass the novel and go straight to the questions I need answered!

Here's my plan, I'd love some advice and tips...

The Location:
Existing 2' x 2' x 8' finished alcove inside a large walk-in closet. Hidden from site, it's the perfect location! Walking into the bedroom, you'd have no idea this space existed. Great stealth but small size.

The Plan:
Build a 2x2x4 grow box. Grow 2-3 plants at a time using a low growing strain, top 'em and then LST to maximize yield in such a small space. The hope is for a yield of 50 grams between 2 plants. Seem reasonable? I might add a separate Veg box in the remaining 4' of vertical space in the future. This would help create a perpetual grow setup with monthly harvests.

The Design:
This grow box is designed to be completely customizable and modular, so it can easily evolve as the grow season progresses. LST screen, CPU fans, and lights are all attached to separate 24" wide wooden 1"x1" square dowels. There are wooden slats nailed to the side walls of the box every 6 inches. The LST screen, CPU fans, and light modules can all rest on these side wall slats and act as a ladder, moving lights and fans up and down as the plants grow. Should make things very organized and easy to reposition.

When the front door is in place, this box will seamlessly integrate into the current closet wall. The only evidence of a grow box will be the front vent.

Screen_Shot_2013-11-06_at_7_34_33_PM.png

Potting/Nutes:
I plan to use pots and a 75/25 coco and perlite mix, flowering out in 2 gallon pots. Any reason I can't transplant my seedlings straight into the 2gal pots and start vegging?

Looking at Fox Farm Nutrient Trio pack, made for soil. That's 1x 32oz bottle of each formula and is about half the price of the Advanced Nutrients Hobbiest kit I was also looking into. I could use some more tips on using nutrients, especially since my medium is coco/perlite, not soil.

My local coop market down the street has a reverse osmosis filter that I can fill up with and bring gallons home with me, for free! I'll be using this water and most likely lowering the pH to 6.0 or so.

The Venting/Smell:
I'm in an apartment in a city, so venting and smell are a big concern. My plan is to build a DIY Carbon Filter based off many posts and youtube videos I've seen, it's quite easy to do. My box is a total of only 16 cubic feet, so my ventilation will be a 120mm 70CFM computer fan attached to a small 12" long, 4" diameter carbon filter with a 90 degree elbow. This will vent out the top of the box into the closet. The closet I is roughly 50 sq./ft. and has double sliding doors that are always closed.

I plan to use a vent at the bottom of the front door, to act as a passive air intake. I'm not worried about light getting through the slots, since this entire grow box lives inside a closet which has no lights and the window is blacked out. I can also either partially block the air vent or add a fan to help regulate air flow into the box and control temperature.

The small CPU fans are simply to circulate air, evaporate droplets off leaves and help strengthen the plants. They will all be usb fans and will plug in to a USB hub, so all 4 fans are powered and controlled by one hub and can be synced with the timer. Should these fans run 24/7 or should I turn them off during dark stages?

I also plan on hanging a few carbon bags in the main closet, to ensure my clothes don't skunk up too much more than they already smell! Any other tips to help block the smell?

The Lights:
I plan to use CFL's since it's such a small space and a cheap first build. I also don't want my electric bill noticeably increasing. I'll use mylar blankets to cover the entire interior of the box, all 6 sides, as well as create a reflector hood above the CFL's. I'm shooting for around 10,000 lumens to achieve 2,500 lumens per sq./ft., is this enough?

Veg Stage:
Use 6x 26watt CFL at 6,500k each with 1,600 lumens for a total of 9,600 lumens.

Flower Stage:
Use 6x 26watt CFL at 2,700k each with 1,750 lumens for a total of 10,500 lumens.

Would adding a few more lights in either or both stages increase my yield significantly? I could easily modify my light to handle a few more CFLs for example and increase my overall lumens in both veg and flower stages by 30% or so. I could also add side lights. Will it improve my results or do I already have plenty of light?

CO2 Levels:
When researching how to maximize yields in small grow boxes like mine, I came across some info about CO2 being needed, which is why constant fresh air is so important. I'm wondering if I'll have any CO2 issues because I'll be growing in a stale closet, with no open windows or flowing air?

Could I utilize a technique like misting leaves with carbonated water, or brewing alcohol within the grow room so it'll give off CO2 regularly, or mixing vinegar and baking soda to create CO2 and flow it into the grow box. Would this benefit? Is there such thing as too much CO2 for the plants? I think I'm being a classic first time grower, over thinking things!

Questions:
-Do I need to vent outside the house or just outside the grow box?
-50+ grams between 2 plants in this box seem reasonable?
-Should I run fans over the plants during dark stages?
-Is 10,000 lumens in a 2'x2'x4' grow box w/ mylar everywhere enough light?
-Is adding CO2 via a tank or spraying CO2 water on leaves worth it?
-Any reason I can't transplant my seedlings straight into the 2gal pots and start vegging?
-What's the best, simplest Nutes kit I can get for a good price? Fox Farm trio?

Thank you so much in advance! :thanks:

For any first timers, like me, here's my $350 budget shopping list!

Shopping List:

Grow Box:
4x small CPU fans - $12
One 2'x4'x1/2" MDF Door - $10
One 2'x2'x1/2" MDF Roof - $10
Locking Hasp - $10
Weatherstrip Tape - $5
Mylar Blankets - $5
TOTAL: $52

LST Screen:
Two 1"x1"x36" Square Dowels - $10
Mesh Fencing Screen - FREE!
TOTAL: $10

Venting:
Passive Air Vent - $10
DIY Carbon Filter - $20
120mm CPU Fan - $10
90* Elbow - $5
TOTAL: $45

Lights:
6x GE 6500k Bulbs - $25
6x GE 2700k Bulbs - $25
Two 1"x1"x36" Square Dowels - $10
Cords, fittings, sockets - $30
4"x1/2"x2' board - $5
TOTAL: $95

Misc:
pH Tester - $20
Outlet Timer - $10
Temp/Hum Monitor - $10
Staple Gun - $10
Duct Tape - $10
TOTAL: $60

Seeds:
Start w/ bag seeds - FREE!

Potting/Nutes:
Coco Coir - $20
Perlite - $15
Nutes Kit: $50
TOTAL: $85

GRAND TOTAL: $350

High and welcome! Thats a nice lay out u have bu i would suggest thatu put 1 plantin that space. 2 plants in a 2x2 is gona get crowded fast. Ive never used cfl's so i cant comment on ur expected yield but the more light the better. If i were u i would put 1 plant in a 2x2x8 so u can veg her till she gets about 2.5-3 ft tall then flower her n she mightend up being a 6 footer. I grow outdoor now and was able to get 60g of dried bud from a 3ft plant. So a 100g goal s feasible in a 2x2x8 area. U can put the seedlingin a 2gal potbu i wouldnt recommend it. Most ppl would put the seedling in a plastic cup with soil and let the roots fill up the up, thenmoveto a slightly bigger pot n repeat.

If u r looking for a perpetual grow u can do ur set up (half veg n the other half flower) its possible but i wultntexpect to see 100g yield

Good luck!

High and welcome! Thats a nice lay out u have bu i would suggest thatu put 1 plantin that space. 2 plants in a 2x2 is gona get crowded fast. Ive never used cfl's so i cant comment on ur expected yield but the more light the better. If i were u i would put 1 plant in a 2x2x8 so u can veg her till she gets about 2.5-3 ft tall then flower her n she mightend up being a 6 footer. I grow outdoor now and was able to get 60g of dried bud from a 3ft plant. So a 100g goal s feasible in a 2x2x8 area. U can put the seedlingin a 2gal potbu i wouldnt recommend it. Most ppl would put the seedling in a plastic cup with soil and let the roots fill up the up, thenmoveto a slightly bigger pot n repeat.

If u r looking for a perpetual grow u can do ur set up (half veg n the other half flower) its possible but i wultntexpect to see 100g yield

Good luck!

Having re-read my post, I've already changed my expectations to be more along the lines of what you laid out. Either use the entire space to veg a large plant, or create a perpetual grow with 1 flower plant at a time.

Very helpful, thanks!

As far as nutes go: ive used FF grow big, big bloom, and tiger bloom. Buti was also using FF happy frog soil for veg and ocean forest fo flowering. No complaints here on the nutes except i wanted to go organic andi thnk the grow big isnt organic.

As far as nutes go: ive used FF grow big, big bloom, and tiger bloom. Buti was also using FF happy frog soil for veg and ocean forest fo flowering. No complaints here on the nutes except i wanted to go organic andi thnk the grow big isnt organic.

Tiger bloom and big grow are not organic. try the Roots organic line. they have a few choices for soil I would suggest a coco mix one because of the small hot closet. A their nutrients are very complete and low cost. yield and flavor organically and hassle free. and also you can get 150w cfl Grow Blub and fixture for sixty bucks once you have the fixture you can up grade the bulbs to 150w/300w they are so cool you can touch them their not HIDs but they aint them bedroom bulbs from Walmart.

Just bought everything I need! Total budget was pretty much spot on at $350 and got free shipping on everything!

I ended up sticking with my original design, but adding more light. Here's what I'll have for lights...

Vegging: 4x 45watt CFLs at 6500k
Flower: 8x 26watt CFLs at 2700k

This setup will give me roughly 200 watts for each stage, and I found some great package deals online, so these bulbs were quite cheap!

So, everything is ordered and being delivered within 2 weeks time. Now I need to find some seeds and get germinating. I think I'll definitely be posting a build diary and a grow diary. I'm a bit of an over talker, so anyone interested, sub and I'll talk your ears off and post lots of pics!

As for Nutes, I ended up getting General Hydroponics Flora Series kit, along with their pH balancing kit and an electronic pH tester. It was a nice package deal, so we'll see how it goes. I did go with organic coco and perlite, and I'm thinking of flowering in a 3gal pot instead of 2gal, since I'll only have 1 plant, a bigger pot will hopefully let the roots spread and grow my one plant to fill my closet!

Sweet!!

In reguard to the roots, the bigge the root system the bigger the buds. Jus imagine how the roots will look by how the plant looks. If ur plant is 3ft tall and 2ft wide, the roots should be about 3ft deep and about 2ft in diameter. This is just a estimate.

Yea i wouldsuggest that u find n germ the seeds now so itll beready by thr time u get ur stuff in. U would also need to find a frmae so u might need a few seeds.

Finally got around to getting my seeds. Decided to buy rather than use shit bag seeds. I'm a handy gardener and quick learner, so I'm not scared about killing off my expensive seeds.

I'm in a weed friendly, but not decriminalized state, but I'm not the paranoid type, so I shipped right to my apt. Best part is, I've been getting mail from the last tenant for the past 2 years, so I used his name on the shipping address. At least I've got a great cover if the seeds happen to get found, but I'm not worried.

I ordered from Herbies. Got White Widow X Big Bud seeds and they threw in a few free ones (Northern Lights X Skunk and Kerala X Skunk).

My thought is since I only have room for 1 full sized plant, I want to seed one of each strain straight to flower @ 12/12 to confirm they are fem., get a small yield and do a smoke test of each to see which one to make my mother.

About half my equipment has arrived, I should have everything setup just about the time the seeds arrive. Very excited!

Nice cover story lol.
How many seeds did u get? From what i understand, u want to flower one of each to do a taste/potency? If so, u can put them in 2liter soda bottles. Jus cut off the top where the neck is n u have anice lil pot. U wil need dril holes in te bottoms for drainage and put blac paper around the bottles to block the light from the roots. Regular pots work great also lol. U sould be able to fit n flower each one in ur area since they r going to be small. And u can germ and veg in another room untill u get u smoke.

Nice cover story lol.
How many seeds did u get? From what i understand, u want to flower one of each to do a taste/potency? If so, u can put them in 2liter soda bottles. Jus cut off the top where the neck is n u have anice lil pot. U wil need dril holes in te bottoms for drainage and put blac paper around the bottles to block the light from the roots. Regular pots work great also lol. U sould be able to fit n flower each one in ur area since they r going to be small. And u can germ and veg in another room untill u get u smoke.
That's right, I'm gonna flower one of each. But I got 4x White Widow and I think they threw in 3-4 of the free seeds. So, I'll flower 3 different plants and see which I like best and go from there!

I'll start a build/grow journal in a couple weeks.

Re: $350 Start Up Closet Grow - Building Stage

Got 95% of my supplies delivered, so I spent some time wiring lights and starting to setup the grow space. Shot a quick video of my Build Day 1 progress...

Haha, just realized the video is 4:20 long... nice:goodjob:

Back
Top Bottom