West Texas Woman Fighting For Legalization Of Medical Marijuana To 'Save Her Life'

Jacob Redmond

Currently, 23 states and the District of Columbia have implemented laws legalizing marijuana in some form.

Texas native Lydia Decker, 47, has been fighting lawmakers to add the Lone Star State to the list since 2010.

"When you're ill and you know that these medicines don't work and they make you sick," Decker said, "what choice do you have?"

In December of 2014, Decker began fighting her own life. She was diagnosed with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, a type of lung disease that gradually worsens over time. She has been using cannabis oil as a form of treatment, and she told KAMC News the results have been very positive.

"I don't want to be strapped to a hose. I don't want to have to carry a machine around with me to breath, and I don't want to take medicines that will make me feel sick," Decker said. "I just really believe that in just a couple more months that this will completely be gone."

"The science is still developing on medical marijuana," said State Senator Charles Perry of Lubbock. "There are examples of success and examples of failures–it seems to depend on the individual in treatment."

Decker said, in her case, because she has began using cannabis oil, she no longer has to rely on her oxygen tank 24 hours a day or rely on medications that make her feel sick.

Currently, cannabis oil, like other marijuana products, is illegal in Texas, but Decker hopes that her success will encourage lawmakers in Austin to consider legalization.

Senator Perry said he is doubtful that the debate will reach Austin anytime soon.

"The medical debate continues to be discussed but politically the time has not arrived," Perry said. "I hope that any medical benefit can be scientifically perfected to remove all addictive elements and all the other undesirable problems associated with this issue for future debate to be had."

After watching her family and friends lose their battle with various illnesses, Decker founded the website Genesis-129.org, to educate the community on why she believes marijuana should be legalized in Texas.

"Over the years we've had family members die of bone cancer and pancreatic cancer and all of these illnesses that could have been very well helped if it would have just been legal," Decker said.

"When I was diagnosed I thought, 'You know, well now I'm not only fighting this and fighting for the legal use of it for everybody else that needs it,'" Decker said. "But I'm also fighting as a patient."

Decker has lived in Texas her entire life. Recently, she moved to Odessa with her husband.

"Twenty four states now are legal to use this as a medicine, and we don't feel that we should have to move from the state of Texas, that where we live and where we work, to be able to get medical help," Decker said.

12845.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: West Texas Woman Fighting for Legalization of Medical Marijuana to 'Save Her Life' - EverythingLubbock.com
Author: Anna Wiernicki
Photo Credit: Lydia Decker

Back
Top Bottom