Uh oh: did I just make a huge mistake?

Well...I'm not sure what else to say but I messed up. How badly though?! What do you all think? I was attempting to get a cage installed while maneuvering the branches. They are not snapped clean off but definitely damaged. Should I be worried? Are they going to repair themselves and be ok? What should I do anything drastic to salvage them or is all hope lost? Approx 12 weeks old.

Attachments

• 20190730_173010.jpg
    20190730_173010.jpg
    815 KB · Views: 152
  • 20190730_173113.jpg
    20190730_173113.jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 132
  • 15645333381488433925107060470657.jpg
    15645333381488433925107060470657.jpg
    640.7 KB · Views: 139
Yes try taping it, I broke one badly and it was at a node so I didn't want to tape over a bud site, I taped it like a bandaid and propped a bamboo stake behind it to support the weight, it healed into a big knuckle and survived.

Tape or even pins would be ok. i haven't had to use pins or staples yet but i would lol.

Yes try taping it, I broke one badly and it was at a node so I didn't want to tape over a bud site, I taped it like a bandaid and propped a bamboo stake behind it to support the weight, it healed into a big knuckle and survived.

Sounds like hope to me! I'll take it. I'll work on it when I get home and post some pics.

Looks like it has other problems too besides snapped stems

I would appreciate your insight. I'm too green in regard to growing so I'll listen to all wisdom. I did just transplant a few days ago. Could be shock?

Mate dont panic. these girls take a beating like no other plant can. as you gain confidence from your grow you will be doing some freaky shit to them and laughing at your initial grows concerns ( as we all do and did!) I recently snapped so many stems clean off , halfway and splits that look terminal. She will bounce back with a vengeance on any damage if protected well after. You could out a little rooting powder into the split and around it too then tape it as suggested. The tape is not only to hold it but to keep air out of the stem too.
This is my current Gorilla Zkittelz after i split her stem while quadlining her ( check quadline thread in my signiture for a simple but brilliant training method that produces in small spaces.)
I split her so bad i thought she would lose all that limb and growth. this was about 4 weeks ago
20190706_160532.jpg
20190706_160525.jpg
20190706_160513.jpg
more splits
20190706_155723.jpg

And this is the girl that had the big split 2 days ago
20190729_160911.jpg
20190719_110551.jpg
20190718_203621.jpg
20190718_203614.jpg

Dont worry and enjoy your learning curve mate. start a journal so folks can go along with you. If you post a pic , use the "full image" option to get a better pic up too. will help with finding issues.
good luck mate. let me know if you get up and running with a journal. Welcome to 420. peace and blessings

Mate dont panic. these girls take a beating like no other plant can. as you gain confidence from your grow you will be doing some freaky shit to them and laughing at your initial grows concerns ( as we all do and did!) I recently snapped so many stems clean off , halfway and splits that look terminal. She will bounce back with a vengeance on any damage if protected well after. You could out a little rooting powder into the split and around it too then tape it as suggested. The tape is not only to hold it but to keep air out of the stem too.
This is my current Gorilla Zkittelz after i split her stem while quadlining her ( check quadline thread in my signiture for a simple but brilliant training method that produces in small spaces.)

Dont worry and enjoy your learning curve mate. start a journal so folks can go along with you. If you post a pic , use the "full image" option to get a better pic up too. will help with finding issues. good luck mate. let me know if you get up and running with a journal. Welcome to 420. peace and blessings
Thanks so much for the boost of confidence and hope. I was having dinner with my wife and I felt a little more at ease about it. First time growing this amazing plant. Without failures then there is little learning. I just wish I knew exactly what happened. I cannot pin point when or what caused that. I have been attempting to bend and I'm wondering if maybe I was going too far with them. I never felt or heard anything that felt like a snap though. Either way it is a learning experience and I have to learn to appreciate the failures too. It will build me to be a stronger grower in the future. Again...thank you for the glimmer of hope. That feels amazing!

Here's the tape job I did. Let me know your thoughts.

Attachments

• 20190730_213143.jpg
    20190730_213143.jpg
    473.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 20190730_213211.jpg
    20190730_213211.jpg
    424.2 KB · Views: 73
Thanks so much for the boost of confidence and hope. I was having dinner with my wife and I felt a little more at ease about it. First time growing this amazing plant. Without failures then there is little learning. I just wish I knew exactly what happened. I cannot pin point when or what caused that. I have been attempting to bend and I'm wondering if maybe I was going too far with them. I never felt or heard anything that felt like a snap though. Either way it is a learning experience and I have to learn to appreciate the failures too. It will build me to be a stronger grower in the future. Again...thank you for the glimmer of hope. That feels amazing!

Here's the tape job I did. Let me know your thoughts.
it will do the trick . sticky tape is a stronger option and can be removed once the splits heal too. always handy to have around.
The bending i always best done away from where the stem comes out. Once you choose a branch to bend. if you rub it with a little firm pressure between your thumb and forefinger where you want it to bend , you will break down some of the tissue that makes it rigid. The bend will then be easier to keep in place without tying. it can be a bit of an odd feeling to " crush" the stem but the bend will repair itself very quickly and strengthen itself. Another method is to actually squeeze the stem between those fingers until you hear a "pop" . This pop is the fibres giving way and effectively allows the stem to be placed at 90° and into space for more horizontal growing. This is a good way of stopping them going too tall indoor but as you are fortunate to be an outdoor grower , height wont be your issue.lol You have the advantage of being able to allow her to grow out as big as she can before daylight hours begin to change and she flowers. I have a fellow grower here who sadly lost his whole crop outside in recent european wide superstorms. gutting to see. hope your prepared in case or live in a very stable climate.
The green writing underneath my posts are links to various forums within 420 that i use. You will notice them on most growers posts. If you use the link "Helpful links for new members" , it will help you navigate the site so much easier. Start a journal that will give you a great resource for anything you do in the grow and also allow us to follow along with you as you grow. With a few fellow growers onboard , magic happens . More eyes on the farm is never a bad thing.lol
The community here are second to none and the support and encouragement can turn a bad day round quick sharp.
There are also links to my current grow journal for an idea of info to start it with. It can be a little addictive and time consuming here but you will meet some great folks with a raft of grow knowledge and experience.
Let me know how you get on and if you need any help with it.
Be good to see what feeds ect... also the strain your growing is handy to know. There will be many growing the same strains that are great to see how they grow so you can plan yours along the way and know what to expect.
If you get one running use the tag " @Ganjagrandaddy " and it will sub me into the journal so i can come straight to it. good luck and green days

I had a massive snap in central stem (3 inches from base!) 8 weeks ago and used tape but after going back to it (2 weeks later) the stem had grown around the tape and caused a little extra weakness because tape i used never stretched.
So it survived (and thrived in fact ) but now I recommend using electrical tape as it stretches with the plant, apply it without stretching and it will use its 'give' as your girl gets bigger...
Every fuck up creates a learning moment...

I had a massive snap in central stem (3 inches from base!) 8 weeks ago and used tape but after going back to it (2 weeks later) the stem had grown around the tape and caused a little extra weakness because tape i used never stretched.
So it survived (and thrived in fact ) but now I recommend using electrical tape as it stretches with the plant, apply it without stretching and it will use its 'give' as your girl gets bigger...
Every fuck up creates a learning moment...
very lucky catch mate. worse place ever. losing a limb if it doesnt work is not the end of the world but the stem is a whole panic of anxiety.

very lucky catch mate
I had a sinking feeling for about a day after before my head said there is nothing more can do. So, stopped worrying and let her get on with it. She is one of 3 Amnesias and she was and still is the best performer of all 3. So much so i took a clone when she carried on regardless of the wound.
Now, she is a week or two from harvest has a few dozen bud sites and her clone is now a near 3ft xmas tree...
Obviously, they have limits but they are weeds: we cut their heads off, they grow two more.
We take off their limbs and they sprouts more flower sites and take a stretch. This plant is a beast and I'm grateful it is...
Everyday.:green_heart:

I had a sinking feeling for about a day after before my head said there is nothing more can do. So, stopped worrying and let her get on with it. She is one of 3 Amnesias and she was and still is the best performer of all 3. So much so i took a clone when she carried on regardless of the wound.
Now, she is a week or two from harvest has a few dozen bud sites and her clone is now a near 3ft xmas tree...
Obviously, they have limits but they are weeds: we cut their heads off, they grow two more.
We take off their limbs and they sprouts more flower sites and take a stretch. This plant is a beast and I'm grateful it is...
Everyday.:green_heart:
bang on the money mate. they love a bit of stress and reward us with thc. poor girls.lol

have a link of training options that is short and very sweet. take a look BakedArea. well worth a minute

love this shit.lol

I started my journal everyone! There are so many journals out there to read and learn from. I hope I can do this forum justice and be consistent with it. Thanks again everyone for the encouragement to start it.

My 1st Grow Journal

bang on the money mate. they love a bit of stress and reward us with thc. poor girls.lol

have a link of training options that is short and very sweet. take a look BakedArea. well worth a minute

love this shit.lol

How did I miss your post?! Lmao. I will definitely check that out. I have 2 new plants I want to get bushy. They are leggy and not very impressive. Something tells me I can figure this out!

How did I miss your post?! Lmao. I will definitely check that out. I have 2 new plants I want to get bushy. They are leggy and not very impressive. Something tells me I can figure this out!
It is a vid i found and is a quick and easy guide to which does what regarding training. cheers

I sometimes cut the tomato cages up one side to make them easier to put around the plants. The cut wire ends are twisted into hooks/loops so I can rejoin them after
Great idea! Will definitely try that next time.

Back
Top Bottom