Stronger alternative to light hangers

SmokeyMtn

Hi, all -

I've just set up my first room. With a quite nice (and quite heavy) LED lamp to hang, I scoured the forums for advice on sourcing the right hangars. There are certainly plenty of choices, but none that looked as bulletproof as I wanted. Last thing I want to see is my fancy new light on the floor.

So, I got to considering what other industries might have something to offer. Sailing came to mind -- think about winches. And climbing came to mind -- think about pulleys.

In the end, I found a climbing pulley that seems a good solution. It's exceptionally strong, mechanically sound, and very simple in its operation.

You can google phrases like "progress capture pulley" and you'll find several brands. They allow rope to pass in one direction, and they lock the rope in place as it takes the load. I settled on one that works like this (picture 4):

27969.jpg

There are other climbing tools that would work; an ascender would do much the same thing, but would have a handle you grip and raise as you go. Either way, the price is higher than the plastic-and-cord hangars. But given the price of LED lamps, it seemed a prudent investment to buy two pulleys and some 9mm accessory rope.

Just another option for anyone considering ways to suspend heavy, expensive lights.

Back
Top Bottom