Seedlings are bending

Richv

420 Member
How come they are bending? Light is manufacturer suggested 18 inches above light, I’m being very careful not to water too much. Planted in coco coir. Temp ranges between 74 night and 78 day. Humidity around 45%. Any suggestions?

IMG_1194.jpeg

IMG_1195.jpeg

IMG_1198.jpeg

they are a bit leggy. you could use a couple sticks to prop them up. one member here uses the toilet roll centers.
you 'll need to bury the stems when you up pot.

coco needs watered every day to runoff. those cups are awful.

normally i run a dimmer around 25 - 50% and start them at about 12 inches from the top of the plants. i pull the light up as they get the first couple nodes in and increase the intensity. by up pot i'm running them at 24 inches about 75%.

Welcome to 420 @Richv

Agree with the above - 18" is probably max possible in hydro, appears to be light stress to me too
I bought one of those clip on the table 3 prong nursery lamps to start seedlings while flowering plants finish and it works great; it's only 15-20w so I can position it 2" from the tops

RH is very low for that stage of grow.

The chart below is a VPD chart. VPD is a way of expressing different combinations of temperature and humidity because to a plant, 77° and 62% is pretty much the same as 86° and 70%.

In seedling phase, plants need high humidity because their roots systems are not well developed and it's not easy for them to take up water. In terms of VPD, the optimal temps + RH are in the green zone. Your plants aren't.

A temp of 75 and RH of 45 is an excellent temperature for flower but is putting a lot of stress on a seedling because there's so little humidity in the air, the seedling is, literally, getting the water sucked out of it. With the root system not being well developed, that's putting a lot of stress on the plant.

The conventional wisdom, from what I read on various cannabis sites, was to grow seedlings in "80 and 80". That's a little bit wet but the good thing about 80° is that it allows the plant to grow more quickly. In contrast, 74° is a bit on the cool side.

As it stands now, at 74°, RH should be 70'ish. Your seedlings will do a lot better than an RH of 45%.

1721949763584.png

Back
Top Bottom