Rust ish spots on my lower leaves

nicol

Hello everyone, what's up?

Just wanted to share a quick update on my Laughing Buddha, now 4 weeks into the vegetative stage. I used the quadlining technique on this grow.

Setup:

• Soil: BioBizz Light Mix
  • Nutrients: Bio Grow at half the recommended dosage (1ml per liter)
  • Water: Reverse osmosis water
I’ve been watering every 3 to 4 days, with one runoff and one surface watering each time, trying to sync the upper and lower roots.

However, I've noticed some rusty spots on a few of the lower leaves. I suspect it might be pH-related, but I haven't been checking it because I'm using organic nutrients and purified water.

This issue seems to happen frequently when I grow, so I’m curious to learn more about it and understand why it’s occurring.

Buddha 2.jpg

Buddha.jpg

Hello everyone, what's up?

Just wanted to share a quick update on my Laughing Buddha, now 4 weeks into the vegetative stage. I used the quadlining technique on this grow.

Setup:

• Soil: BioBizz Light Mix
  • Nutrients: Bio Grow at half the recommended dosage (1ml per liter)
  • Water: Reverse osmosis water
I’ve been watering every 3 to 4 days, with one runoff and one surface watering each time, trying to sync the upper and lower roots.

However, I've noticed some rusty spots on a few of the lower leaves. I suspect it might be pH-related, but I haven't been checking it because I'm using organic nutrients and purified water.

This issue seems to happen frequently when I grow, so I’m curious to learn more about it and understand why it’s occurring.

Buddha 2.jpg

Buddha.jpg
Sorry about your lady my friend. :Namaste:
How often are you giving water/feed?
She seams a bit overwatered.
Do you let the pot dry In-between?

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

hello @Bill284

Thanks for your reply.

I have been watering the plant every 3/4 days, I just watered it this morning, and the soil was still kind of wet. I should have waited another day. Are the yellow spot there because of overwatering?

hello @Bill284

Thanks for your reply.

I have been watering the plant every 3/4 days, I just watered it this morning, and the soil was still kind of wet. I should have waited another day. Are the yellow spot there because of overwatering?
There are a couple indicators.
Light color indicating hunger.
Thick droopy leaves , over loaded.
Spots and deficiency’s on leaves , unable to pick up nutrients.
Easiest way to rectify that is a good long dry period to let air into the root zone.
Lift the pot to tell its weight.
Let it get nice and light.
Then feed to runoff.
Then dry out again.
Then plain water to runoff.
Dry again and repeat this process.
Always letting dry in between.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

@Bill284 Hello, I have done what you suggested, waited for the pot to be nice and light, then I fed it until runoff, then I waited again until light and watered it until runoff. Now I have noticed a different kind of spots on some leaves, I don't know if in the picture you can see, but the spots look darker and grayish looking. I don't know why. there are many all around the plant. Hope you can help that would be awesome!

WhatsApp Image 2024-08-23 at 12.48.17_63ee98a3.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2024-08-23 at 12.48.20_9a5fc2da.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2024-08-23 at 12.48.20_321907db.jpg

@Bill284 Hello, I have done what you suggested, waited for the pot to be nice and light, then I fed it until runoff, then I waited again until light and watered it until runoff. Now I have noticed a different kind of spots on some leaves, I don't know if in the picture you can see, but the spots look darker and grayish looking. I don't know why. there are many all around the plant. Hope you can help that would be awesome!

WhatsApp Image 2024-08-23 at 12.48.17_63ee98a3.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2024-08-23 at 12.48.20_9a5fc2da.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2024-08-23 at 12.48.20_321907db.jpg
What are you feeding her?
What strength?
How often?
Do you check ph?

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

@Bill284

I have been giving her Bio Bizz Bio Grow. NPK 4-3-6

1ml per liter. I usually use 6 liters to be able to have a runoff. I have a 5-gallon container.
On August 17th I watered with nuts, then on August 22 with water.

I don't check ph, reading on the forum, one time I read about "if you are pure organic gardener never applying chlorinated water or salt based synthetic nutrients at your plants, pH indeed is not important.

I water my plant with purified water (reverse osmosis)

@Bill284

I have been giving her Bio Bizz Bio Grow. NPK 4-3-6

1ml per liter. I usually use 6 liters to be able to have a runoff. I have a 5-gallon container.
On August 17th I watered with nuts, then on August 22 with water.

I don't check ph, reading on the forum, one time I read about "if you are pure organic gardener never applying chlorinated water or salt based synthetic nutrients at your plants, pH indeed is not important.

Bio grow is recommended to be used at a rate of 2-4 ml/ l.
1 ml is basically 1/4 strength :Namaste:
They have a couple things they recommend to use with it aswell.
Do you have the complete line?
I'd bump the amount upto recommended dosage and possibly get some calmag.
I put calmag in my plain water before my nutrients for improved nutrient uptake.
Was just curious about ph didn't mean anything by it.:Namaste::Namaste:
Damaged leaves probably won't recover.
But a full meal will help improve her health and looks.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

@Bill284 I only use bio grow during vegetative, and as soon as I switch to flower I use bio bloom and top max as well, with bio grow. I am definitely going to get some calmag and I will use it as you recommended. I'll keep you posted, thank you so much for your help.

@Bill284 I only use bio grow during vegetative, and as soon as I switch to flower I use bio bloom and top max as well, with bio grow. I am definitely going to get some calmag and I will use it as you recommended. I'll keep you posted, thank you so much for your help.
You might also want to invest in some Alga-Mic & Bio Heaven

You might also want to invest in some Alga-Mic & Bio Heaven
They have a good line of nutrients.
I’d use the whole line personally.
But nutes get expensive so I understand trying to use what worked before. :thumb:
Bump the feed and she will improve buddy.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

The pH of the water being used for fertilizing or general watering sessions matters. Even if you are using organic fertilizers and natural sources of nutrients the pH is important. If it is out of an acceptable range there is no way that organic inputs or fertilizers will be able to make up for when it is too acidic or alkaline.

There is no way to get around the need to know the pH of your water. Best believe that a "true purist organic gardener or farmer" will know the pH of their water supply whether it is rain water, city water, a backyard well, or a local river or lake.

If the water's pH is continuously in an acceptable range then frequent testing is not that important. But, it does take several tests over many months to know that.

I tested my City of Detroit water long ago when I got my first tropical fish aquarium. Since then I have used 5 or 6 different "drop test" kits and several different "paper test strips" to come up with a pH range between 6.1and 6.4 which is acceptable to me for soil growing. I started testing the pH of the rains and melted snows five years ago and have a pH range of 5.7 to 6.3 with the usual being 5.9 which is normal for this area. These days it is easy to find the pH of city waters by calling the department or looking at their web page.

If you want to use an instrument to do the testing be sure to buy quality and Blue Lab test pens are popular. If you live in a decent sized city or metropolitan area there should be a grow or hydroponics shop within a decent drive distance and buy a pen there.

I've noticed some rusty spots on a few of the lower leaves. I suspect it might be pH-related, but I haven't been checking it because I'm using organic nutrients and purified water.

The large rusty spot in the first photo is classic Calcium deficiency. This happens to just about every indoor grow with potted plants. The other photos showing those tiny dots look like early signs of the Cal-Mag deficiency starting up in more leaves.

Even if the other fertilizers you might be using list Calcium as an ingredient it is common to need to start a Cal-Mag feeding program to make the problem go away. It will not make those spots go away since the damage to the leaf has already been done. A good Cal-Mag program will prevent new spots from forming but that will take several weeks.

I was stubborn and fought off starting a Cal-Mag program for years until I realized that ignoring it did not make it go away. I tried several different Cal-Mags and settled on one. Then about 6 weeks later I realized that I had not seen any new signs of a shortage and with that realization I have not looked back.

Plus not having to look at any new Calcium caused spots made it easier to notice other little issues that were easier to control.

@SmokingWings thanks for your time. I will invest in a Ph meter, I live in Europe, and The Bluelab on Amazon costs almost 100€ WoW, I have found one more convenient called Aspera Instruments AI209 same price but now it's discounted on Amazon for half the price. I'm wondering if it's good... it has a lot of reviews.....

About the Cal-Mag, I don't know when to use it, do I have to use it only once I see these dots on my leaves? Or in a preventative way? And do I have to use it throughout the whole life of the plant?

@SmokingWings thanks for your time. I will invest in a Ph meter, I live in Europe, and The Bluelab on Amazon costs almost 100€ WoW, I have found one more convenient called Aspera Instruments AI209 same price but now it's discounted on Amazon for half the price. I'm wondering if it's good... it has a lot of reviews.....

About the Cal-Mag, I don't know when to use it, do I have to use it only once I see these dots on my leaves? Or in a preventative way? And do I have to use it throughout the whole life of the plant?
You can get an 'Essentials' pH pen for less than half the price as BlueLab and pretty reliable
With organic nutes, if you decide to use pH Down [I'm not saying it's necessary] it must go in the water first and remember the Bio nutes will naturally drop the pH a notch or two
eg my tap water is about 7.2 and I know 2 drops of pH down will take it to appx pH 6.5, so by the time I add nutes it drops to about 6.3, which is ideal
You only really have to test once to find the right mix, and after a while you get to kind of know what 1 drop, 2 drops, 5 drops will do
To make it even easier, I pre-dilute my pH Down so that I know 5ml of the solution will lower pH by 1.0 point, much easier to dose that way

Back
Top Bottom