Rep. Frank Wants To Legalize Pot

PFlynn

Washington, D.C. - Rep. Barney Frank wasn't blowing smoke when he promised on an HBO program three weeks ago to seek a repeal of federal law against personal pot use. The Newton Democrat introduced a bill yesterday that would give states the ability to make marijuana legal in amounts of 3.5 ounces or less. He said Washington should treat cannabis like alcohol and tobacco.

"I do not believe that the federal government should treat adults who choose to smoke marijuana as criminals," Frank said in a statement, adding that it's "not appropriate in a free society."

It seems Frank's indulgences are limited to puffing on cigars between votes. He indicated last month on HBO's Real Time with Bill Maher that he does not smoke marijuana

This is the first time that Frank has pulled for the decriminalization of personal pot use since he was in the state Legislature in the 1970s.

"When I got to Congress, frankly, I was feeling more cautious," Frank told Maher. "I finally got to the point where I think I can get away with it."

Under federal law, marijuana possession can land you in jail for a year and hit you with a $1,000 fine on the first conviction, according to Frank's office.

U.S. Rep. John Olver, D-Amherst, supports medical marijuana, but hasn't "expressed a position" on Frank's effort regarding personal pot use, according to Sara Merriam, Olver's spokeswoman.

Rep. Niki Tsongas, D-Lowell, hasn't had a chance to review Frank's proposal, according to her office. But she supports "making marijuana available for medicinal purposes for sick patients who truly need it," Tsongas said in a statement.

Source: Lowell Sun (MA)
Copyright: 2008 MediaNews Group, Inc.

Back
Top Bottom