Rain water for indoor pots

The plants on this planet have evolved over the last couple million years with rain water. Rain water is good for them, better than well water or water from a nearby river or reservoir. Rain water has picked up free nitrogen in the atmosphere as the droplets are formed and falling. Even more nitrogen is available for the drops to pick up if the rainwater is from a thunderstorm. Not only the nitrogen but I also figure that there is some dust, etc. in the air that is or contains some of the other macro and micro nutrients.

Oh, the free nitrogen is freely available molecules in the air and not free as in not costing anything.

Two days ago we had a thunderstorm go over with almost constant lightning. I had my buckets under the drip edge for a small lean-to I had built. I collected a tad over 30 gallons. Potential severe thunderstorms again this afternoon but I doubt I will get that much since it rained over 1.5 inches in under an hour that afternoon.

I have a woodshed with a low slope shed style roof not far from the house, about 12x16. On my list of projects is a downspout and rain barrel. I think I could even get quite a bit in winter.
I assume snow would be just as good? I use a woodstove and could easily melt buckets full, enough for my two plants. Might help my low humidity too actually I may have to give it a try.

I have a woodshed with a low slope shed style roof not far from the house, about 12x16. On my list of projects is a downspout and rain barrel. I think I could even get quite a bit in winter.
I assume snow would be just as good? I use a woodstove and could easily melt buckets full, enough for my two plants. Might help my low humidity too actually I may have to give it a try.
I also collect snow off the same lean-to roof. It is not a high structure, just about 4 foot up and used to cover a shelf that has gardening tools and equipment under it. The size is 8 feet by 4 feet so your shed should supply more than enough water.

Don't know where you live but in my urban area I have collected some of the gutter, complete with gutter guard , already. Just looked at what is on the curb on trash day. Next is to find someone doing kitchen remodeling and get an old kitchen counter to make a work table top with the old sink. The backsplash is helpful and the sink can be removed or kept in.

Enjoy the day.

Yes, 200 + gallon cistern at the house. Just need rain. Sometimes bugs and larvae can find their way indoors this way especially if it's been a recent rain and the water has not cooked enough like in the early spring. Mine runs about 12ppm and around 7.1 ph.

Back
Top Bottom