Question on cleanliness

Tedmarx38

I’ve been doing this for a few years now but still encounter different takes on certain concepts. Most indoor growers worry about keeping their tents clean to prevent plant diseases, and one guy I chatted with early on seemed almost paranoid about keeping his hydroponic grow pristine for that reason.

I always figured the chief worry was mold. However, when I research bud rot it seems factors other than cleanliness cause that - specifically lack of air circulation, wrong lights, temps and humidity levels.

So what types of problems will a dirty tent cause? I grow in soil - is that less of a worry va hydroponic? Does it contribute to bud rot infestation risk?

The concept becomes more confusing to me when I consider the stuff in various nutrients, such as bat and worm poo.

Thanks for any help.

Hi Tedmarx,

You're right that bud rot (botrytis) is primarily caused by factors like poor air circulation, improper humidity, and temperature control rather than just cleanliness. However, a dirty tent can still lead to other potential problems, especially when growing in soil.

A dirty environment can encourage pests, fungi, and bacteria to thrive, which can weaken your plants and make them more susceptible to diseases. Soil, being organic, can harbor pathogens more easily than a hydroponic setup. If debris, dead plant matter, or spilled nutrients are left in the tent, they can create breeding grounds for harmful organisms, leading to root rot, powdery mildew, or other issues.

Even though you’re growing in soil, it’s still important to keep your tent as clean as possible. Cleaning won’t directly prevent bud rot, but it can reduce the overall risk of pests and diseases affecting your grow. Also, be mindful of the nutrient inputs like bat guano and worm castings. These organic nutrients are great for your plants, but they can also attract pests or mold if not managed properly.

Keeping your tent clean and ensuring proper air circulation, humidity, and temperature will help create a healthier environment for your plants. Good luck with your grow!

Back
Top Bottom