Purple edges

Dustin84

Currently I have a purple strain and no clue what it is. Likely indica, or what hybrids we call indica. Outside, started flowering a few weeks ago. I switched to fox farms big bloom today and this evening I'm noticing purple edges. Am I correct it's likely high nitrogen still and needing more potassium?
In southern MO, I've had to spray bugs off after our last rain. They could very likely be spreading diseases, fungus etc. water, mixed with dawn first attempt then hose, hydrogen peroxide mix. Last 3 days have been fighting the tiny critters

IMG_20240822_194732.jpg

IMG_20240815_105155.jpg

Currently I have a purple strain and no clue what it is. Likely indica, or what hybrids we call indica. Outside, started flowering a few weeks ago. I switched to fox farms big bloom today and this evening I'm noticing purple edges. Am I correct it's likely high nitrogen still and needing more potassium?
In southern MO, I've had to spray bugs off after our last rain. They could very likely be spreading diseases, fungus etc. water, mixed with dawn first attempt then hose, hydrogen peroxide mix. Last 3 days have been fighting the tiny critters

IMG_20240822_194732.jpg

IMG_20240815_105155.jpg
Welcome to 420Magazine :welcome:
Beautiful garden my friend :thumb:
Sorry about your issues.
Purple stripe is vertigation most likely no issue there.
The spots are a deficiency or a bug issue.
Do you have neem oil, great for killing criters.
Also I think you need some proper cannabis nutrients.
What do you have available?
Talk soon.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Welcome to 420 Magazine @Dustin84

If you use Neem oil like @Bill284 suggested, use it before flowering sets in.
Overall your ladies look healthy, so I would not be to concern at this time.

Here's some helpful info: Welcome New Members - Please Read Before Posting

Here is some information if you would like to start a grow journal How to Make a Grow Journal

If you want to see want other growers are doing, here's that link.

This is where you place your grow journal.

Journals in Progress: Current and Ongoing

And, after you have over 50 posts you can vote and enter our contests to win free grow stuff from our sponsors.

420 Contests: Win Cool 420 Prizes

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,

Tok.. :bong:

Also, we now have a Fungi section if you would like to grow mushrooms.

I'm using fox farms nutrients. Went lighter on mix then the recommended general feeding. I've been feeding weekly and again, just switched to big bloom, npk 0-0.5-0.7. I don't have neam oil currently, why I attempted soapy water and after a couple of days hydrogen peroxide mix with water. Trying to keep from destroying taste.

Welcome aboard @Dustin84.

Couple of things including that your plant looks like it was planted directly into the soil and your mention that flowering is already began several weeks ago.....

I switched to fox farms big bloom today and this evening I'm noticing purple edges.
Not related in that the Big Bloom is not causing what you are seeing. It is highly unlikely that any plant problem suddenly becomes noticeable in a matter of hours. Most of the time it is a slow process over a week or more before we actually realize that something is happening. The Fox Farm fertilizers are excellent and work well especially when used with the others in the same line. There are two others that go together with the Big Bloom.

Your Big Bloom has a NPK of 0-0.5-0.7 so I do not consider it a powerhouse fertilizer. Instead it is a way of introducing some highly beneficial soil organisms which will help make the nutrients in the soil available to the plant.

Am I correct it's likely high nitrogen still and needing more potassium?
The purple petiole and the purple veins in the leaf are common and possibly a sign of a very minor Phosphorous deficiency and not of a big concern. But, since you are now seeing purple in the leaves including those spots it might be something that needs fixing. Letting the issue slide for awhile means that it is likely that what you see will increase. It is possible to slow down and stop the spots but any that have already developed will be there forever. It seems that more botanists and plant scientists are now concerned that many gardeners are overdoing the adding of Phosphorous and creating problems for the next season. Maybe try a small amount of the Fox Farm Tiger Bloom.

As for the Nitrogen, plants in flower need more than many gardeners realized back in the 60s and 70s when many Cannabis fertilizing methods were being established and they related their plants to fruit bearing crops like strawberries or to colorful summer flowers.

Potassium is needed by the plant until the end and while there are no obvious signs of a deficiency it is best to continue using a decent fertilizer which contains that nutrient.

I've had to spray bugs off after our last rain. They could very likely be spreading diseases, fungus etc. water, mixed with dawn first attempt then hose, hydrogen peroxide mix. Last 3 days have been fighting the tiny critters
Before going to far with this it is best to know which insect you are seeing and whether they actually are a problem for the plant. More problems can be created by trying to get rid of an insect that is actually there doing a job to help your plant. I am thinking of the people that go and do something to get rid of or kill off the insects they see on their plant only to find out the destroyed the predators that were eating and keeping an undesirable insect under control. Removing the predators allows the fastest reproducing pest insect to move in and become uncontrollable.

Went lighter on mix then the recommended general feeding.
The plant is flowering. Just about every life form on the planet starts to need more food and more often once it enters a reproduction process. Some animals have to eat more to produce healthy eggs whether they are birds or fish or frogs. Animals like humans and other mammals need to eat more to produce infants in the womb and then feed the newborns until they are able to eat on their own. Plants are no different--they need nutrients to support the development of flowers as part of their reproduction cycle. With Cannabis we are after the flowers so go back to the recommended feeding amounts and schedule and you should be surprised at what your plant will do for you.

Welcome aboard @Dustin84.

Couple of things including that your plant looks like it was planted directly into the soil and your mention that flowering is already began several weeks ago.....

Not related in that the Big Bloom is not causing what you are seeing. It is highly unlikely that any plant problem suddenly becomes noticeable in a matter of hours. Most of the time it is a slow process over a week or more before we actually realize that something is happening. The Fox Farm fertilizers are excellent and work well especially when used with the others in the same line. There are two others that go together with the Big Bloom.

Your Big Bloom has a NPK of 0-0.5-0.7 so I do not consider it a powerhouse fertilizer. Instead it is a way of introducing some highly beneficial soil organisms which will help make the nutrients in the soil available to the plant.

The purple petiole and the purple veins in the leaf are common and possibly a sign of a very minor Phosphorous deficiency and not of a big concern. But, since you are now seeing purple in the leaves including those spots it might be something that needs fixing. Letting the issue slide for awhile means that it is likely that what you see will increase. It is possible to slow down and stop the spots but any that have already developed will be there forever. It seems that more botanists and plant scientists are now concerned that many gardeners are overdoing the adding of Phosphorous and creating problems for the next season. Maybe try a small amount of the Fox Farm Tiger Bloom.

As for the Nitrogen, plants in flower need more than many gardeners realized back in the 60s and 70s when many Cannabis fertilizing methods were being established and they related their plants to fruit bearing crops like strawberries or to colorful summer flowers.

Potassium is needed by the plant until the end and while there are no obvious signs of a deficiency it is best to continue using a decent fertilizer which contains that nutrient.

Before going to far with this it is best to know which insect you are seeing and whether they actually are a problem for the plant. More problems can be created by trying to get rid of an insect that is actually there doing a job to help your plant. I am thinking of the people that go and do something to get rid of or kill off the insects they see on their plant only to find out the destroyed the predators that were eating and keeping an undesirable insect under control. Removing the predators allows the fastest reproducing pest insect to move in and become uncontrollable.

The plant is flowering. Just about every life form on the planet starts to need more food and more often once it enters a reproduction process. Some animals have to eat more to produce healthy eggs whether they are birds or fish or frogs. Animals like humans and other mammals need to eat more to produce infants in the womb and then feed the newborns until they are able to eat on their own. Plants are no different--they need nutrients to support the development of flowers as part of their reproduction cycle. With Cannabis we are after the flowers so go back to the recommended feeding amounts and schedule and you should be surprised at what your plant will do for you.
Wasps and spiders are coming back. Heavy rains definitely moved them around for a few days. They've kept almost every pest away until now. The sub tropical environment at this time of year itself can be problematic. Last year I lost about half of the quantity from excessive rain and bud rot.
I'm curious about the nitrogen topic. Would the buds and bloom with 2-8-4 be better to keep using? I've been under the impression to zero out nitrogen in the last few weeks. Third year attempting to learn. Still a beginner

Wasps and spiders are coming back. Heavy rains definitely moved them around for a few days. They've kept almost every pest away until now. The sub tropical environment at this time of year itself can be problematic. Last year I lost about half of the quantity from excessive rain and bud rot.
I'm curious about the nitrogen topic. Would the buds and bloom with 2-8-4 be better to keep using? I've been under the impression to zero out nitrogen in the last few weeks. Third year attempting to learn. Still a beginner
My brother gave me a handful of clones, yes directly into soil. I've just recently started attempting to learn hydroponics inside.

Would the buds and bloom with 2-8-4 be better to keep using?
That threw me off;). The official name is Tiger Bloom and the "Buds and Bloom" is to help the gardener know what it is for. Anyway, yes, keep going.

If it was my grow I would be adding a mild source of Nitrogen every two weeks or so. Many of the fish based fertilizers would work well since the fish sourced nutrients are quickly made available to the plant roots. It will not do much this season except slow down signs of deficiencies like yellowing leaves.

What I have been doing for the past two years is starting to add a bit of extra fish sourced Nitrogen two and three weeks before putting my indoor plants into flowering. Any outdoor plants are getting the extra dose by the 20th or so of July because I have noticed that they start to flower between Aug 5th and 15th. Once flowering starts I continue to add the liquid fish stuff.

Plants will take in extra nutrients like Nitrogen, Phosphorous and Potassium even if they do not need it at the time. They store it and will move it to where it is needed when the time comes. The more that is stored the less likely the plant will start to prematurely loose leaves way before the flowering is over.

Last year I lost about half of the quantity from excessive rain and bud rot.
I know the feeling that comes up with that. Last year I was using a mix of water and citric acid in an attempt to keep powdery mildew under control. Then I thought that maybe continuing to spray the stacks of flowers with the same spray might control the Bud Rot.

Still got the Bud Rot but it took longer to start and it did not infect anywhere near the amount that I had anticipated based on previous outdoor grows.

Don't know that there is anything available to stop Bud Rot but I will try one thing or another within reason to keep it under control.

I know the feeling that comes up with that. Last year I was using a mix of water and citric acid in an attempt to keep powdery mildew under control. Then I thought that maybe continuing to spray the stacks of flowers with the same spray might control the Bud Rot.

Still got the Bud Rot but it took longer to start and it did not infect anywhere near the amount that I had anticipated based on previous outdoor grows.

Don't know that there is anything available to stop Bud Rot but I will try one thing or another within reason to keep it under control.
What I found with research was harvesting early and cutting out infected areas. Outdoors and controlling moisture is tricky. Shakng dew and rain off. I haven't seen anything else yet. Hopefully signing up here helps find more information. I'm attempting to stay as natural as I can besides adding a little fertilizer to promote growth. I have avoided researching chemical pesticides and herbicides.

That threw me off;). The official name is Tiger Bloom and the "Buds and Bloom" is to help the gardener know what it is for. Anyway, yes, keep going.

If it was my grow I would be adding a mild source of Nitrogen every two weeks or so. Many of the fish based fertilizers would work well since the fish sourced nutrients are quickly made available to the plant roots. It will not do much this season except slow down signs of deficiencies like yellowing leaves.

What I have been doing for the past two years is starting to add a bit of extra fish sourced Nitrogen two and three weeks before putting my indoor plants into flowering. Any outdoor plants are getting the extra dose by the 20th or so of July because I have noticed that they start to flower between Aug 5th and 15th. Once flowering starts I continue to add the liquid fish stuff.

Plants will take in extra nutrients like Nitrogen, Phosphorous and Potassium even if they do not need it at the time. They store it and will move it to where it is needed when the time comes. The more that is stored the less likely the plant will start to prematurely loose leaves way before the flowering is over.
I haven't seen any leaf loss to concern over. Just damaged leaves I'm trimming off. I wouldn't think I have a nitrogen deficiency. The leaf issues I'm finding is mostly leaf seporia and bugs. Trim off damages as newer leaves grow. The purple has been a new thing on leaves for me. The specific plant has been a dark green with a lot of purple throughout it. Wish they would have been labeled for me.

Greenvein, you are correct about needing to add a regular source of nitrogen. Lightning doesn't happen enough. I'm not sure exactly what it does, just know it allows a lot to be absorbed. I might try some fishy multion next year. That is one I've been regularly recommended to make and use. After harvesting this year and mixing up my holes, I'll add water from our lagoon in. Sounds horrible but does wonders for the soil.

I wouldn't think I have a nitrogen deficiency.
I add the fish emulsion as a way for the plant to get extra Nitrogen early as a way to avoid a nitrogen deficiency. If the Nitrogen is there in the soil it will be taken in along with the water that the plant is absorbing. The plant takes it in whether it currently needs it or not. Any nutrients that are not used for plant processes ends up being stored in the leaves, the roots and the stems.

Waiting until the deficiency shows makes it hard to correct the shortage. The plant has already started to move (translocate) the stored Nitrogen to the areas of the plants that need it which is the new flower growth.

Lightning doesn't happen enough. I'm not sure exactly what it does, just know it allows a lot to be absorbed.
The rapid heating and cooling of the air as the lightning passes through breaks the bonds holding the atmospheric Nitrogen molecules together. The free Nitrogen atom then is able to bond with Oxygen atoms and eventually a Hydrogen atom and forms Nitric Acid. The water molecules that are forming rain or snow trap the Nitric Acid and carry it down to the ground.

Use google or your favorite search engine and look up the keywords:
nitrogen cycle lightning

I add the fish emulsion as a way for the plant to get extra Nitrogen early as a way to avoid a nitrogen deficiency. If the Nitrogen is there in the soil it will be taken in along with the water that the plant is absorbing. The plant takes it in whether it currently needs it or not. Any nutrients that are not used for plant processes ends up being stored in the leaves, the roots and the stems.

Waiting until the deficiency shows makes it hard to correct the shortage. The plant has already started to move (translocate) the stored Nitrogen to the areas of the plants that need it which is the new flower growth.

The rapid heating and cooling of the air as the lightning passes through breaks the bonds holding the atmospheric Nitrogen molecules together. The free Nitrogen atom then is able to bond with Oxygen atoms and eventually a Hydrogen atom and forms Nitric Acid. The water molecules that are forming rain or snow trap the Nitric Acid and carry it down to the ground.

Use google or your favorite search engine and look up the keywords:
nitrogen cycle lightning
I'll have that jumbled later. I know the basics. Trying to explain how chemical reactions work and what they actually do. I have an extremely difficult time keeping in order. Know a little about a lot. Don't know a lot about anything.

Back
Top Bottom