Pump and air stone questions

Belliott

420 Member
So im probably going to have four 5 gallon buckets with 6 inch net pots in a ac infinity 5x5 and was looking at Danner pound master pumps (supreme hydroponics) and was wounding if the ap-60 would be way over kill and should go with the ap- 20? (Specs in picture) The price difference is $40. Also any recommendations for air stones to pair with a set up like this using either pump? Want to use one stone a bucket. Thank to everyone who takes time to put in their knowledge.
Screenshot_20240726_082450_Samsung Internet.jpg

I've searched for any sort of data-based metric on how much air to pump through a res and have come up short.

As I see it, the best indicator of how big a pump to use would be to look at the pumps that are sold with grow tent kits.

My tent kit has a res that holds 26 gallons and it shipped with an EcoAir 4 air pump that I have used successfully for years. At the urging of another grower, I did switch to a different pump for my most recent grow and I ended up running it at about ½ speed. The new pump is significantly louder than the EcoAir so I intend to switch back to the EcoAir.

This site sells very popular kits and they ship their 55 gallon system with a "4 outlet pump". A quick search on Amazon shows that to be an EcoAir 4 6 watt, 15 liter per minute air pump is a four outlet pump.

You might want to check other retailers but I don't know that going to a larger pump will accomplish much. I've had yields of 900 gm/sq meter with the EcoAir so I really don't think that it's a larger part of the grow equation.

For my DWC I’ve always just gone a bit more than I need. I’ve had root rot when I first started and never again since switching to bigger pumps. Best of luck friend.

For my DWC I’ve always just gone a bit more than I need. I’ve had root rot when I first started and never again since switching to bigger pumps. Best of luck friend.
If you're low on O2, perhaps that's a contributing factor - I've seen nothing that discusses that and I'd have to wonder how a res got low saturation levels unless…

As temp increases, O2 saturation levels decrease. Perhaps that add to the conditions where root rot can set in? Dunno.

Glad you got it sorted. RR can really pooch a grow.

Rather that one big pump and one stone in each bucket, I went with two smaller pumps and two stones. That way there is redundancy if anything goes wrong.

Back
Top Bottom