Probably the #1 asked question. How to sex plants?

Au510

I found that this the most stressful part of growing so far. Trying to identify a female plant. Since August I began growing auto flowers. More specifically the *Hey you guys* auto flowers. My first plant turned out to be male. I was pretty sure they were supposed to have a 90% chance of being females but I discovered recently they're not feminized seeds so this in particular is my main concern. I only realized the first plant was male after it had pollen sacs all over it. The second one I'm growing now I've put a bit more effort in especially since it's getting cold out. Instead of growing outside like I did a few months ago when the weather was warmer with the male plant I ended up buying a cheap 40 dollar light set up and have kept it on a 24 hour light cycle out of convenience because I'm not growing at my apartment but my mother's house and am only their once a day. I'm aware that it can potentially stress the plant but from my novice observations the plant seems to be doing great. I planted it (Oct, 1st) and it's 7 inches tall now and broad (Today's date: Oct, 19) unlike the first plant but I don't know if that's due to the difference in sunlight vs the LED grow lights that I'm currently using now. The difference in both plants is substantial in my opinion. I kind of know what to look for to kind of determine the sex but I still don't really understand it. I noticed that today 2 tiny balls are growing between the branches but can't get any concrete answers. I'll post a few pics of my current grow. The 4th pic at the bottom shows the 2 balls between the branches and also I'm not sure if leaves are growing from the armpits of the branches or if it's the flowers. If someone can shed some light on these questions and concerns I'll be very grateful and if your near me and everything goes good growing and harvesting I'll smoke you out instead of a bland thanks over the Internet.

IMG_20241013_122401976_HDR.jpg

IMG_20241016_143524018_HDR.jpg

IMG_20241016_143550789_HDR.jpg

IMG_20241015_125741885_HDR.jpg

IMG_20241003_171421620_HDR_AE.jpg

IMG_20241011_103137032_HDR.jpg

IMG_20241018_225406348_HDR.jpg

IMG_20241017_120509834_HDR.jpg

IMG_20241018_224741000_HDR.jpg

IMG_20241017_120457345_HDR.jpg

Heya @Au510 .

Is this all the same plant...just pics at differing stages?

That one pic is definitely showing some balls. I know nada about autos...so can't really comment past that. Is it normal to see boys in auto seed? I HATE the practice myself and don't play into it...but with fems some folks pick off the first/lower balls they see and ride the ride until they determine if it's a trait that will continue throughout flower or just an early trait/fluke/etc.

It's exactly like human parts. What ya wanna see are those 2 spread legs...not nutz.

OIP (1).jpeg

Heya @Au510 .

Is this all the same plant...just pics at differing stages?

That one pic is definitely showing some balls. I know nada about autos...so can't really comment past that. Is it normal to see boys in auto seed? I HATE the practice myself and don't play into it...but with fems some folks pick off the first/lower balls they see and ride the ride until they determine if it's a trait that will continue throughout flower or just an early trait/fluke/etc.

It's exactly like human parts. What ya wanna see are those 2 spread legs...not nutz.

OIP (1).jpeg
Yeah all the same plant. This is the 2nd auto flower that I've grown since August and both turned out to be males of the same germplasm (I just googled that term) but they're "supposedly" supposed to be 90% female seeds. I call BS. Their was 10 seeds I used 2 I can math.. sometimes.. Thank you for your insight. When I read the human parts like a girl spreading her legs analogy I lost it lmao I will definitely remember that. It's so confusing just begining to learn about all this and that was an S class answer in my opinion. This is the first male from my seeds still outside from August btw. Pics from last month.

IMG_20240916_184313884_AE.jpg

I've read that the germinating environment can play a role in the M/F split, with less than ideal conditions producing more males. Don't know if that's actually true, but a good grow environment can only be a positive.

I've read that the germinating environment can play a role in the M/F split, with less than ideal conditions producing more males. Don't know if that's actually true, but a good grow environment can only be a positive.

M/f split?

Regular seeds typically will have a 50/50ish split between males and females, so, 10 seeds, 5 males and 5 females, or 4 and 6, like that.

But, if environment does affect the split, that would suggest that the sex is not predetermined in the seed itself from the plant.

Great...
Regular seeds typically will have a 50/50ish split between males and females, so, 10 seeds, 5 males and 5 females, or 4 and 6, like that.

But, if environment does affect the split, that would suggest that the sex is not predetermined in the seed itself from the plant.
Great...

The male is still alive, and outside, to pollenate all of your neighbors plants?
Do people leave their growing female plants outside overnight when the weather has been around 45 degrees or lower? I'm not around anyone who has interest in this.

Many people have their plants growing directly in the ground, so yea, they're out there until whenever they get harvested. Weather is already getting that low here, but it hasn't frosted yet.

Back
Top Bottom