Preventing Autos flowering early outside

johnnyappleseed

I'm in New York, zone 7 a/b. It's tough with photos out here since the humidity usually encourages bud rot. So I'd like to try growing autos outside. Every auto I've tried to grow outdoors ends up flowering way too early. like 6 inches early.

How do I reduce the stress placed on autos when transplanting so they don't flower prematurely?

Any other transition considerations re fertilizer, time of season, etc.

I will be growing in the ground.

Thanks.

If you’re in the US, the time for growing outside has passed. June-September is ideal.

Autos require quite a bit of light to get big before flower. Growing outside will never get the same results as growing under lights. Even at max lights outside you might get 14-15 hours a day of sun, and that’s in July/August.

I start mine inside (April/May) and get them healthy and robust, then they go outside. Most autos are done in under 90 days so no chance of extended rain/humidity

Every genetic reacts differently to its environment so growing outside is sometimes as unpredictable as the weather.

Autos are finicky to begin with and while growing them in dirt outside is fun, there’s a time and place for that. If you need this plant to produce because it will be your only smoke, I’d try to do it inside.

I'm in New York, zone 7 a/b. It's tough with photos out here since the humidity usually encourages bud rot. So I'd like to try growing autos outside. Every auto I've tried to grow outdoors ends up flowering way too early. like 6 inches early.

Is there some special trick to doing this? I'm guessing it's the actual transplant itself or the soil/air temps perhaps?

Thanks.
Hello there! Autos are suppose to flower with time, so if they are doing that while too small - that means that either the conditions are too harsh or maybe you got not the best seeds in the world. Along with that, if you suspect humidity issues - you'll need to somehow decrease it, do you have like windy spots for extra ventelation?

Is there some special trick to doing this? I'm guessing it's the actual transplant itself or the soil/air temps perhaps?

Thanks.
Look for autos that have a longer growing time Listed as super or xxl autos
I have one that takes 150 days to finish
Also with a higher percentage of Sativa

If you’re in the US, the time for growing outside has passed. June-September is ideal.

Autos require quite a bit of light to get big before flower. Growing outside will never get the same results as growing under lights. Even at max lights outside you might get 14-15 hours a day of sun, and that’s in July/August.

I start mine inside (April/May) and get them healthy and robust, then they go outside. Most autos are done in under 90 days so no chance of extended rain/humidity

Every genetic reacts differently to its environment so growing outside is sometimes as unpredictable as the weather.

Autos are finicky to begin with and while growing them in dirt outside is fun, there’s a time and place for that. If you need this plant to produce because it will be your only smoke, I’d try to do it inside.
Thanks. I've got tents inside too. I'm just really looking for advice on how to reduce the stress on transplanting outside so they don't flower prematurely.
Hello there! Autos are suppose to flower with time, so if they are doing that while too small - that means that either the conditions are too harsh or maybe you got not the best seeds in the world. Along with that, if you suspect humidity issues - you'll need to somehow decrease it, do you have like windy spots for extra ventelation?
No control outside. Last year in early oct we got hit with like 3 weeks of rain and I lost everything to bud rot.
Look for autos that have a longer growing time Listed as super or xxl autos
I have one that takes 150 days to finish
Also with a higher percentage of Sativa
Why longer? I was thinking autos because they're usually done sooner, which is appealing because my fall seasons are pretty sultry.

Thanks. I've got tents inside too. I'm just really looking for advice on how to reduce the stress on transplanting outside so they don't flower prematurely.

No control outside. Last year in early oct we got hit with like 3 weeks of rain and I lost everything to bud rot.

Why longer? I was thinking autos because they're usually done sooner, which is appealing because my fall seasons are pretty sultry.
I used to think they flowered prematurely because of me, but it turns out even under perfect conditions with no stress or transplant they sometimes show sex at 17-18 days. It’s mostly genetics.

The reason you’d want “longer” is because even plants that start flowering early (due to whatever factor) can still get huge.
You may have a hard time finding any plant that wants to grow huge outside in fall, just saying.
You want autos to produce and not get bud rot, but they want 18-20 hours a day of light. You can’t have both if you grow when there’s only 9 hours a day of light and the temp/humidity breeds mold.

Well In places that the sun doesn’t get close to 12/12 till mid August or September
Plant early inside last week of April transplant outside end of May
Starts to bloom mid July
Harvest mid September before the fall rain & cold

Look for autos with longer growing times & higher Sativa content
The early strains were crossed with Indica so flower faster

Back
Top Bottom