Pregnant Woman's Pot Prescription Leads To Complaint

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
The Colorado Medical Board will consider whether to take away a doctor’s license to practice medicine because of a complaint alleging he improperly recommended marijuana to a woman who was 28 weeks pregnant.

Dr. Manuel De Jesus Aquino, of Denver, could become the first Colorado doctor to lose his medical license or face a sanction over an improper medical marijuana recommendation.

The complaint filed this week says the 20-year-old woman didn’t say she was pregnant, and Aquino didn’t thoroughly examine her or even take any notes on his three-minute evaluation before giving her a pot recommendation in January. The doctor also didn’t ask about the woman’s medical history or give her any instructions on follow-up care, according to the medical board’s complaint.

Pregnancy should preclude marijuana recommendations, the complaint says.

The complaint was first reported by Solutions, a health policy news agency affiliated with the University of Colorado-Denver. Solutions and The Denver Post sought comment from Aquino and his lawyer but were unsuccessful.

The doctor was writing marijuana recommendations at a Denver dispensary called Back to the Garden Health and Wellness Center, according to the complaint, which accuses Aquino of failing to establish the “bona fide physician-patient relationship” Colorado law requires for marijuana recommendations.

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: durangoherald.com
Author: The Associated Press
Copyright: 2010 durangoherald.com
Website: The Durango Herald 12/23/2010 | Pregnant woman’s pot prescription leads to complaint

Here is a study showing that cannabis is NOT bad for the fetus, but actually good. Probably because of phytocannabinoids augmenting endocannabinoids, naturally!
Prenatal Marijuana Exposure and Neonatal Outcomes in Jamaica: An Ethnographic Study

(edit to include Abtract)

ABSTRACT.

Objective. To identify neurobehavioral effects of prenatal marijuana exposure on neonates in rural Jamaica.

Design. Ethnographic field studies and standardized neurobehavior assessments during the neonatal period.

Setting. Rural Jamaica in heavy-marijuana-using population.

Participants. Twenty-four Jamaican neonates exposed to marijuana prenatally and 20 nonexposed neonates.

Measurements and main results. Exposed and nonexposed neonates were compared at 3 days and 1 month old, using the Brazelton Neonatal Assessment Scale, including supplementary items to capture possible subtle effects. There were no significant differences between exposed and nonexposed neonates on day 3. At 1 month, the exposed neonates showed better physiological stability and required less examiner facilitation to reach organized states. The neonates of heavy-marijuana-using mothers had better scores on autonomic stability, quality of alertness, irritability, and self-regulation and were judged to be more rewarding for caregivers.

Conclusions. The absence of any differences between the exposed on nonexposed groups in the early neonatal period suggest that the better scores of exposed neonates at 1 month are traceable to the cultural positioning and social and economic characteristics of mothers using marijuana that select for the use of marijuana but also promote neonatal development. Pediatrics 1994;93:254-260; prenatal marijuana exposure, neonatal outcomes, Jamaica, Brazelton scale supplementary items.

I agree...

Step 1: Decide if Cannabis is bad for mothers and infants

Step 2: Commend Dr. for recommending something that lowers infant mortality rate and improves development of motor skills.

I developed kidney stones when I was 6 months pregnant and was given various narcotics for the pain, including Oxycidin and Vicoden, and when neither of those worked, I was hooked up to a morphine machine that I could medicated myself with when needed.

So, you're telling me that Morphine, Vicodin, and Oxycodin are ok, but not marijuana?!

Back
Top Bottom