Please help - I can't find why the tip of the leaves are burning?

r00kiegr0wer

420 Member
it's my second grow and about 35 days old...yesterday I changed the light...the weather was a little hot about a couple of weeks ago but now it's alright... the tip of the leaves slowly turning light green and the yellow and burn... I noticed it about a week ago... now it's still going on...according to what I've read it could be Nitrogen def or the temperature or the ph...I'm checking the ph but what do you think?!!!
here are some pics...

photo_2017-05-23_10-36-27.jpg
photo_2017-05-23_10-35-56.jpg

:420::420:

it's my second grow and about 35 days old...yesterday I changed the light...the weather was a little hot about a couple of weeks ago but now it's alright... the tip of the leaves slowly turning light green and the yellow and burn... I noticed it about a week ago... now it's still going on...according to what I've read it could be Nitrogen def or the temperature or the ph...I'm checking the ph but what do you think?!!!
here are some pics...

Hello mate, have you run any checks to see what it might be?

here are some pics...

I think you might be right in saying it's a nitrogen problem, but more of an excess rather than a deficiency. It looks like your roots might be taking up too much nitrogen causing the burnt looking bits at the end and dead yellow at the bottom. Or it might be that there isn't enough run off of the water you feed, contributing to the nutrient build up and drowning your roots (which need oxygen in between feeds).

If you've checked your ph levels in your water/feed and your environment (lights, air in and out) looks ok then it's probably the roots. Nearly all of my problems have and still come from root trouble but it's quite easy to fix and your plants should go on to be the green giants we all crave ;)

You can check to see whether your soil (or whatever you're growing in) is too acidic or not. A build up of acidic soil can be a bit of a nightmare if untreated, all of the care and time spent on your other good growing practices and diligence actually does more harm than good, you basically end up killing your plant every time you feed it as the soil turns more and more acidic.

Both of the problems I mentioned, (nitrogen build up and water taking too long or not coming out at all) can be sorted with the same method.

You basically rinse out the roots like when you shampoo your hair. You need more and more water until you don't notice any more shampoo. After much scientific debate this process was proclaimed to be 'flushing' ;)

First check that you have ample run off when you water your plants. There's no point flushing if you don't have a run off of water.

Feed as you would and then wait to see how long it takes before water starts to come out of the holes/hole in the bottom of your pot. If it comes straight through your medium is too loose and the plant won't be able to get as much food as it sort of whizzes by the root and straight out of the hole. Too long (over 25 mins) or too little water coming out means that your soil is too packed, the water is moving very slowly and your plant will feed off of this water as long as it's there.

I don't know the exact science behind it, but basically the water that can't go anywhere turns foul, affecting the soil it's held in which makes it, the soil, more acidic which slowly kills your roots as they continuously take up the poison food on offer. Oh and they can't breathe!

Once you've got your run off water, dip a ph tester into it to check the levels of the soil your plans are in. It's a killer to be checking everything else in your grow and be unwittingly harming your plant every time you feed and contribute to the build up.

If you've got a high ph (7 or more) feed plain water at 6.2 to bring it down a bit. A low (6 or less) can be fed with plain water at 6.8. Doing this for a few days should readjust the levels of your soil and give your roots a bit of health back. When you flush you're aiming to semi drown your plant (in the nicest way possible) to rinse out the bad. Use about three times as much water than you normally would.

Keep checking your run off as you go, stay on top of it because many problems come from the roots and work their way up your plant (in my experience nearly to the day you harvest!)

Hope this has been helpful mate, I'll keep up with your gardening, keep up the hard work :)

my dear dear new friend joethechro
WOOOWW! YOU'RE AWESOME MAN...FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE I STARTED GROWING AND READING ABOUT IT, BY your Handsome Generosity and very accurate advice, I feel well informed and that it'll be alright and I'll manage.
:thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:

my dear dear new friend joethechro
WOOOWW! YOU'RE AWESOME MAN...FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE I STARTED GROWING AND READING ABOUT IT, BY your Handsome Generosity and very accurate advice, I feel well informed and that it'll be alright and I'll manage.
:thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:

That's very kind of you, nearly everyone you'll meet on here is twice as helpful as I hope to be so you're in the right place. Keep on checking your levels, it's the basic stuff and the way we keep on top of it that spawns those gigantic green nuggets we love ;) will keep up to date with your garden mate, good luck :)

I think you might be right in saying it's a nitrogen problem, but more of an excess rather than a deficiency. It looks like your roots might be taking up too much nitrogen causing the burnt looking bits at the end and dead yellow at the bottom. Or it might be that there isn't enough run off of the water you feed, contributing to the nutrient build up and drowning your roots (which need oxygen in between feeds).

If you've checked your ph levels in your water/feed and your environment (lights, air in and out) looks ok then it's probably the roots. Nearly all of my problems have and still come from root trouble but it's quite easy to fix and your plants should go on to be the green giants we all crave ;)

You can check to see whether your soil (or whatever you're growing in) is too acidic or not. A build up of acidic soil can be a bit of a nightmare if untreated, all of the care and time spent on your other good growing practices and diligence actually does more harm than good, you basically end up killing your plant every time you feed it as the soil turns more and more acidic.

Both of the problems I mentioned, (nitrogen build up and water taking too long or not coming out at all) can be sorted with the same method.

You basically rinse out the roots like when you shampoo your hair. You need more and more water until you don't notice any more shampoo. After much scientific debate this process was proclaimed to be 'flushing' ;)

First check that you have ample run off when you water your plants. There's no point flushing if you don't have a run off of water.

Feed as you would and then wait to see how long it takes before water starts to come out of the holes/hole in the bottom of your pot. If it comes straight through your medium is too loose and the plant won't be able to get as much food as it sort of whizzes by the root and straight out of the hole. Too long (over 25 mins) or too little water coming out means that your soil is too packed, the water is moving very slowly and your plant will feed off of this water as long as it's there.

I don't know the exact science behind it, but basically the water that can't go anywhere turns foul, affecting the soil it's held in which makes it, the soil, more acidic which slowly kills your roots as they continuously take up the poison food on offer. Oh and they can't breathe!

Once you've got your run off water, dip a ph tester into it to check the levels of the soil your plans are in. It's a killer to be checking everything else in your grow and be unwittingly harming your plant every time you feed and contribute to the build up.

If you've got a high ph (7 or more) feed plain water at 6.2 to bring it down a bit. A low (6 or less) can be fed with plain water at 6.8. Doing this for a few days should readjust the levels of your soil and give your roots a bit of health back. When you flush you're aiming to semi drown your plant (in the nicest way possible) to rinse out the bad. Use about three times as much water than you normally would.

Keep checking your run off as you go, stay on top of it because many problems come from the roots and work their way up your plant (in my experience nearly to the day you harvest!)

Hope this has been helpful mate, I'll keep up with your gardening, keep up the hard work :)
Would a transplant not help out his issue also? Pot seems a little small for the height of the plant to me. Could be root bound but I'm no expert.

Would a transplant not help out his issue also? Pot seems a little small for the height of the plant to me. Could be root bound but I'm no expert.

My apologies mate, we spoke about pot size on a different thread and ended up here! It's nice to know I'm not talking about nonsense! Cheers for the back up :)

Back
Top Bottom