Plant Issue Diagnoses

MightyBeard

420 Member
Morning all. Plants have been going pretty steady for the last few months and several are now ~6 feet tall! They're budding and have solid, sticky colas. But I'm getting yellowing and I'm trying to figure out why. When they first started to pre-flower, I stopped feeding to flush before I switched to PK-nutes and did a trim. Then started feeding with Roots Bloom once a week. It is getting cooler up here (50s at night) and we've had a lot of rain this year, but we've stopped watering as the ladies look solid and I worry about overwatering.

For info: growing outdoors in 15gal fabric pots with gravel in the bottom; using FF Happy Frog soil, mostly, mixed with some Maine Organic Grower's Mix; feed with Roots system once a week (Grow, now bloom). These are what the leaves look like:
1725543408195.png
1725543436557.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! This is my first grow and I'd love to not lose them.

Hey bud, it is natural for some of the leaves to turn yellow as she gets close to harvest age, how many weeks has your lady been flowering for?
Hey Tassie! It seems a little early. They've only been truly flowering for around three weeks? Don't they still have 4-7 ahead of them?

Hmm you're right, that is a little early, has there been any major changes lately in your feeding regime?
Like I said, I stopped feeding for a couple weeks to trim, then switched from Grow (7-1-1) to Bloom (3-7-4). But that's pretty much it. We did have a week of almost constant rain two weeks ago - I was a bit worried about them getting a little too wet. But beyond that... 🤷‍♂️

Morning all. Plants have been going pretty steady for the last few months and several are now ~6 feet tall! They're budding and have solid, sticky colas. But I'm getting yellowing and I'm trying to figure out why. When they first started to pre-flower, I stopped feeding to flush before I switched to PK-nutes and did a trim. Then started feeding with Roots Bloom once a week. It is getting cooler up here (50s at night) and we've had a lot of rain this year, but we've stopped watering as the ladies look solid and I worry about overwatering.

For info: growing outdoors in 15gal fabric pots with gravel in the bottom; using FF Happy Frog soil, mostly, mixed with some Maine Organic Grower's Mix; feed with Roots system once a week (Grow, now bloom). These are what the leaves look like:
1725543408195.png
1725543436557.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! This is my first grow and I'd love to not lose them.
Garden looks great my friend.
Don't fret if it's just a few leaves Turing yellow .
But keep feeding her until harvest.
You stopped and initiated the problem.
Feed the girls and they will be fine.
Do you spray for bugs or rot?

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Garden looks great my friend.
Don't fret if it's just a few leaves Turing yellow .
But keep feeding her until harvest.
You stopped and initiated the problem.
Feed the girls and they will be fine.
Do you spray for bugs or rot?

Stay safe
Bill284 😎
I do spray with Trifecta Crop Control every week or so, yeah. And it's not just a few. I trimmed a dozen or so from each plant last week, and it looks like another dozen possibly this week.

1725543408195.png
1725543436557.png

They look hungry and pots looks overly dry to me?

PK nutes do very little positive growing in containers. Cannabis is not a heavy P crop and I believe flowering foods heavy in P are mostly a result of marketing. It's what the grower and market want but not necessarily what the plant and grower needs.

The simple mentality is P is used to trigger and produce flowers then more must be better right? When the truth is there has already been done studies and research of what's the optimal concentration and range is throughout veg and flower, it's all written in litterature.

When phosphoric acid builds up after overuse in the soil it will eventually lower pH out of range causing all sorts of lockouts. I believe your problem is to infrequent feedings. Cannabis like wet feet's and a lot of aeration. Root development and yield will suffer by letting the pots go overly dry and repeatedly killing off the finer roots.

You often see poor root growth and development from people starting out believing the old bro science that Cannabis is a desert plant from the middle east that benefits from being repeatedly being dried out when it's a tropical plant that needs both heat and moisture to perform properly.

Drying out a plant may only benefit a grower in a controlled environment with control plants to check their own results and findings. It's way more important to focus on getting the nutrient mix right in terms of concentration and stability. Then getting the feeding frequency right.

It's better and easier to mix a reservoir that you feed your plants with instead of repeatedly mixing small volumes from stock. You often need to feed two times a day growing in peat.

This practices will give you more control over concentration both in the pots and the reservoir and its way easier to repeat and get the volumes and concentrations right.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

They look hungry and pots looks overly dry to me?

PK nutes do very little positive growing in containers. Cannabis is not a heavy P crop and I believe flowering foods heavy in P are mostly a result of marketing. It's what the grower and market want but not necessarily what the plant and grower needs.

The simple mentality is P is used to trigger and produce flowers then more must be better right? When the truth is there has already been done studies and research of what's the optimal concentration and range is throughout veg and flower, it's all written in litterature.

When phosphoric acid builds up after overuse in the soil it will eventually lower pH out of range causing all sorts of lockouts. I believe your problem is to infrequent feedings. Cannabis like wet feet's and a lot of aeration. Root development and yield will suffer by letting the pots go overly dry and repeatedly killing off the finer roots.

You often see poor root growth and development from people starting out believing the old bro science that Cannabis is a desert plant from the middle east that benefits from being repeatedly being dried out when it's a tropical plant that needs both heat and moisture to perform properly.

Drying out a plant may only benefit a grower in a controlled environment with control plants to check their own results and findings. It's way more important to focus on getting the nutrient mix right in terms of concentration and stability. Then getting the feeding frequency right.

It's better and easier to mix a reservoir that you feed your plants with instead of repeatedly mixing small volumes from stock. You often need to feed two times a day growing in peat.

This practices will give you more control over concentration both in the pots and the reservoir and its way easier to repeat and get the volumes and concentrations right.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!
Thanks for the information! They're actually a lot wetter than they look - I added a little extra soil on top as some of those finer roots were poking through due to erosion and compacting (I repotted into the 15gals about a month ago, just before they started flowering). Like I said, this last week they were watered (rained on or by hand) almost every day. Haven't watered since Sunday because of how heavy the pots were.

I like Fox Farms overall but Happy Frog is kinda weak sauce for your base soil… that and lots of peeps use 7 gallons or more for a single indoors plant…. so at 15 gallons of the weak stuff with an outdoor tree… yes it should pop deficiencies. She’s sucking stored nutes out of her fan leaves which cause them yellow out the color, not pretty but that’s the rules she’s required to play with at this point in time

Overall they look fantastic but an outdoor 6 footer is writing checks that 15 gallons of soil just can’t cash. Next year I’d bump to larger smart pot if possible and / or dig a larger hole, add more soil to the hole, bank soil around the plant and mulch the whole thing over

Ditto- Feed her to the end

I know from my own experience including my current outdoor ladies that when they start getting larger they tend to eat up all the amendments I have supplied them in the beginning, I have had to top dress abit more nitrogen into my ladies as they have seemed to deplete all.that was in during veg and stretch, and my dymbass caught it later than I wanted or figured .....I now know for next year they will get more amendments added over what I weighed out this year which was 5 lbs per pot Nutririch granular......I hate when I do shit affecting my plants but it is 1 way to learn is by our mistakes and this forum is a great way to help us all achieve success

Root development and yield will suffer by letting the pots go overly dry and repeatedly killing off the finer roots.
Continuing to let the plant go through periods of being overly dry will cause the loss of the plant's vascular system. Without a properly functioning vascular system it is hard for the plant to move water and nutrients from the root system to areas where they are needed. The plant also needs a properly working vascular system to move the sucrose and anything else produce by the leaves, including what is made available by photosynthesis.

Another thing about a plant's vascular system is that it provides mechanical structure and strength to to the plant. In other words it makes branches, stems and even the petioles of the leaf stronger. If the system is weakened it probably is one of the reasons some of the plant's branches will start to flop over as the buds get larger and heavier.

Even if a proper watering program is re-established the vascular system will not grow back properly so the entire plant continues to suffer.

Continuing to let the plant go through periods of being overly dry will cause the loss of the plant's vascular system. Without a properly functioning vascular system it is hard for the plant to move water and nutrients from the root system to areas where they are needed. The plant also needs a properly working vascular system to move the sucrose and anything else produce by the leaves, including what is made available by photosynthesis.

Another thing about a plant's vascular system is that it provides mechanical structure and strength to to the plant. In other words it makes branches, stems and even the petioles of the leaf stronger. If the system is weakened it probably is one of the reasons some of the plant's branches will start to flop over as the buds get larger and heavier.

Even if a proper watering program is re-established the vascular system will not grow back properly so the entire plant continues to suffer.
The plants have never been overly dry. They've never gotten droopy or particularly bendy at all. I'm uploading a pic of a leaf. I have fed them 2x in the last five days with a little extra to make up for the time when I didn't, hopeful to build a little more up in the soil. It might be a trick of the mind, but it looks like the yellowing is slowing a little.
20240910_110853.jpg

I'm pondering planting them in the ground for the rest of the season to see if it might help with whatever's going on,

Back
Top Bottom