Pests and rodents

diggler35007

i have had one grow outdoors that made it to harvest. but it was in my yard. started it late and it was very low profile. i cant grow indoors anymore. this will be in a remote location, not my yard. watering three times a week. im very worried about rats,mice,and rabbits eating my plants.what is good and non toxic to keep them away. i have heard that human hair and urine will work and i have also seen a spray in the store. any suggestions would be very helpfull.:thanks:

Last year i had real good luck with both the granular and spray versions of HavaHart Critter Ridder I got at Home Depot from about $15 each and I still have half of those containers left over. Each application last about 30 days. It basically makes the area unappealing to critters because they dont like the smell and are afraid to get it on their feet.

My biggest problem was racoons digging up my plants because I used fish emulsion fertilizer and they thought there was rotting fish buried in there. All the little footprints made it look like they had a party digging it all up and tossing the plants to the side. Luckily the plants lived when I replanted them.

You want to have your soil prepped well before you plant. That gives all curious critters in the area a chance to root around in it,which they're going to do.

Cougar urine around the old patch is supposed to be very good for scaring off hungry animals in the early stages of growth. Personally I always waited until mid-late May to plant at the earliest. Once you're past that point in the spring there's usually enough good forage and fruit out that animals will give your young weed a pass.

Your yield might be a tad less by planting late,but I think the advantage of warm soil for strong fast root growth is more important than planting early and seeing your plants get eaten or sit stunted in the cool ground.

thanks firestone, i will be sure to prep the area ahead of time. and will wait just a little longer.

I had same problem with an animal digging up my plants and leaving them to the side, im suspecting raccoon or groundhog. I just used the critter ridder stuff about ten minutes ago on my grow area and I will report back to you with results.

That sounds like a raccoon or canine of some type. A groundhog would have ate the plants.

Back
Top Bottom