Once the seed's tap root has popped out, what next?

As the title says. Once the tap root pops out I'll stick the seeds in jiffy pellets, but do I stick the jiffy's outside under the sun or do the seeds need to stay in the dark until leaves pop up?
Yes once they crack or it’s tail sticks out, into the medium it will go and definitely would put under a light or the sun.

Yes once they crack or it’s tail sticks out, into the medium it will go and definitely would put under a light or the sun.
I put 10 seeds in a cup of water for 24 hours then I put 5 of the popped seeds in a moist paper towel for 24 hours and left the other 5 seeds in the water for another 24 hours, the seeds in the paper towel showed tails while the ones in the cup of water for 48 hours only just cracked. All are in jiffy's now.

I put 10 seeds in a cup of water for 24 hours then I put 5 of the popped seeds in a moist paper towel for 24 hours and left the other 5 seeds in the water for another 24 hours, the seeds in the paper towel showed tails while the ones in the cup of water for 48 hours only just cracked. All are in jiffy's now.
Paper towel work good, but I have had a few get there root hairs stuck.
So now just a simple soak until I see them crack then about 1/2 inch into choice of medium.

Paper towel work good, but I have had a few get there root hairs stuck.
So now just a simple soak until I see them crack then about 1/2 inch into choice of medium.
Getting the radicle caught up in the paper towel was one issue but I read about another one that caused a grower a lot of headache.

He was tried using paper towels for a couple of sets of seeds and they popped the radicle but then died. This happened a three or four times in a row.

(no, this isn't the punch line to a joke)

After posting the problem and getting a lot of replies, he (or someone) figured out that the paper towel had a chemical in it (a scent perhaps) and that was killing the seed.

Ouch.

One week into grow, Purple Gelato photo next to 1/4 pounder auto. I have grown the PG before, first time seeing deformed leaves.
Soil HF forest.. hp 6.4

IMG_0625.jpeg

Getting the radicle caught up in the paper towel was one issue but I read about another one that caused a grower a lot of headache.

He was tried using paper towels for a couple of sets of seeds and they popped the radicle but then died. This happened a three or four times in a row.

(no, this isn't the punch line to a joke)

After posting the problem and getting a lot of replies, he (or someone) figured out that the paper towel had a chemical in it (a scent perhaps) and that was killing the seed.

Ouch.
I guessed what the problem was before I got to the last sentence, some sort of chemical in the paper towel.

Just to confirm - My sprouts are in darkness, I wait until I see leaves and then stick the sprouts out in the sun, right?
Everyone has a way , so I’ll introduce you to the method I have had success with.

Soaked seeds Saturday eve while trimming.
Tails Sunday , so into blocks , tray and under light.
200ppfd
Also use a warming matt under my tray.
And then Tuesday morning.

IMG_1727.jpeg
IMG_1728.jpeg

Aye, as long as you don't wait too long. They can get way too leggy and die if left in dark too long, but as long as it is within the first day or two of them coming up they'll be fine.
Oh I misunderstood, I thought I had to wait for leaves to show.

It's been 3 days for one of the sprouts and it is getting leggy that's why I came back here to double check.

Luckily these sprouts are my "crash dummies", I germinated them 5 days ahead of my main crop for this very reason, any slip up or mistakes will happen to the "crash dummies" and can be corrected for my main crop.

Everyone has a way , so I’ll introduce you to the method I have had success with.

Soaked seeds Saturday eve while trimming.
Tails Sunday , so into blocks , tray and under light.
200ppfd
Also use a warming matt under my tray.
And then Tuesday morning.

IMG_1727.jpeg
IMG_1728.jpeg
I wish I had all that fancy indoor gear. I'm more limited resource wise that most growers unfortunately.

Just to confirm - My sprouts are in darkness, I wait until I see leaves and then stick the sprouts out in the sun, right?
I can't think of a reason not give them light. That's how plant seeds work in nature, isn't it?

Oh I misunderstood, I thought I had to wait for leaves to show.

It's been 3 days for one of the sprouts and it is getting leggy that's why I came back here to double check.

Luckily these sprouts are my "crash dummies", I germinated them 5 days ahead of my main crop for this very reason, any slip up or mistakes will happen to the "crash dummies" and can be corrected for my main crop.
I guess I misunderstood too, I assumed you were counting cotyledon leaves as leaves (as I do). Even the leggy ones will be ok if you bury the extra stem early while it is still getting established. Best of luck!

I guess I misunderstood too, I assumed you were counting cotyledon leaves as leaves (as I do). Even the leggy ones will be ok if you bury the extra stem early while it is still getting established. Best of luck!

Thanks. None of them have cotyledon leaves yet, this is the oldest one, it broke through the soil 2 or 3 days ago....

IMG20241023120544.jpg

Back
Top Bottom