Old Strains - New LED Light!

Chuckeye

Yup, you read that right 😆

The HID diehard has left the building o_O

My ballast died and I thought it was timely for me to finally explore LED's :yahoo:

Long story, short > after Much searching I purchased the Phlizon FD6000/640w eight bar light !

First impressions, Heavy and Solid !

My old system with a 42" reflector can't weight more than 4 or 5 pounds.....

Sept 11 Parabolic reflector.jpg

This light is 32 pounds...

Unfold it, attach the ballast and hang. Not a biggee for one person...

Ran it for a couple of hours @40%, bars were warm but you could keep your hand on them.

The ballast on the other hand, you could barely touch it ! Little hygromter/temp meter read 38 C/100 F ?

With no circulating fans running it took over two hours for the temperature ~4" down from the bars to kick on my exhaust fan @80 degrees!

Room temperature was 75 F. 10' x 10' x 8' high....

More Sipping :love:

5 gallon pails with GroBuckets, ProMix HP, Mega Crop one part....

Sept 11 LED Set Up.jpg

Strains from True North except Fast Buds version of Maui Wowie from The Seed Fair.

One hiccup, received an extra free seed but my Hawaiian Snow seeds were missing, sigh....

Message sent !

Fall 2024 Grow.JPG

Five seeds are now soaking in water plus some h202 on my kitchen table. I usually have tails in 48 hours and then into solo cups.

If the Hawaiian Snow gets here within a week or so I'll try one of them too ! Was so Looking forward to trying this strain :yummy:

Fingers crossed I have more than four germinate, it /they will go into 2 1/2 gallon fabric bags with used ProMix HP (first time).

This is now a budget grow with stuff I have on hand ;)

If I get six I will do one on a 13" saucer filled with perlite ! Not quite a Swick ? ;)

SIP Swick mod drawing.jpg

So excited to be back at it after a three month down time :yahoo:

Cheers, eh ?

Kudos to True North Seed Bank, they should be shipping my missing 3 pk of Hawaiian Snow tomorrow !

Not seeing much of a heat saving but my exhaust fan is only running intermittently !

Temp at what will be plant height is 82F, light setting 4, circulating fans at low though....

Room temp is still 75F, some balancing to do yet.

Two different par apps gave me reading from 400 to 600. A bit much for seedlings.

I used a lux meter app I trust to adjust the light down to 9000, setting is 2 on the Phlizon.

An online calculator says a lux of 9,000 would be 200 ppfd.

After the change my room temp is 76.4 and plant height is 79.3 👍

Think I will get by for now but I have a Uni-t Lux Light Meter UT383BT in my wish list ;)

And I did reinstall my lightweight reflector panels to a 5' x 5' space.

Tonight I will water the solo cups to run off with 1g/gallon Mega Crop one part in anticipation of tails tomorrow !

Cheers

Congrats Chuckeye!
If they are old strains you grew them under the bulb recently?
I'm wondering if you will notice a taste difference.
I think LEDs are great, way easier to control, less heat, better spread & directionality, higher efficiency and I can move them about without worrying that I'm gonna touch the Sun or melt the tent.
But I would say they taste different.. where the HPS for me puts forward a more singular flavour but lots of that it in a heavy sweet dank and LED tastes a bit more complex, outdoorsy, It still brings a sweet dank but there's all kinds of things floating on top.
I'm thinking the colour temperature or spectrum of the HPS favours a couple of terpenes or noids heavily.

Congrats Chuckeye!
If they are old strains you grew them under the bulb recently?
I'm wondering if you will notice a taste difference.
I think LEDs are great, way easier to control, less heat, better spread & directionality, higher efficiency and I can move them about without worrying that I'm gonna touch the Sun or melt the tent.
But I would say they taste different.. where the HPS for me puts forward a more singular flavour but lots of that it in a heavy sweet dank and LED tastes a bit more complex, outdoorsy, It still brings a sweet dank but there's all kinds of things floating on top.
I'm thinking the colour temperature or spectrum of the HPS favours a couple of terpenes or noids heavily.
Thanks @Fenderbender !

Looking forward to extended comparative taste testing :bongrip:

But that is months away !

Last night I was telling bedtime stories to solo cups 😆

I meant "Old Strains" as in been around for quite some time.

Hopefully these seeds are somewhat close to what they were back when ;)

With the odd exception I grow all new to me strains each grow.....

This batch will bring the total to 31 different strains :yummy:

And as you said, the light spread is incredible !

This is my old 600w MH/HPS @ 20"

Coco for cannabis.JPG

This is the new Phlizon bar light, at @ 18"

Philzon 640w at 18 inches.JPG

Roughly double the par on the outside edges o_O

Not quite sure what kind of growth to expect but I Will Not Miss having to turn the plants Every Day, he, he...

Cheers

I'm calling this Day 1 above ground for all five of my girls :yahoo:

The Maui Wowie is a Whopping 1" tall 😆

Trainwreck is just emerging and hasn't unfolded her leaves yet. The other three are about 1/2" tall...

Day 1 Maui Wowie 17 Sept 2024.jpg

Some fun via Apple Betty :bongrip:

The Columbian Gold had a helmet head ! At a casual glance it appeared to be ready to come off so I gave it a gentle "touch" ;)

Came right off without a tug ! Some time later I thought to have a closer look...

The membrane was still encasing the leaves. It did appear there was a small space between the leaves.

I have found the helmut heads benefit from some "help" as early as possible, especially auto's. Time is precious !

So I put my finger behind the head and gently poked a wood skewer through the space, got in far enough to pop the membrane off 😆

Could have just spritzed it with water and waited a bit but...

The Swick design is still evolving !

Thinking the key to this comparison run is to have the same size reservoir as the GroBuckets > ~ 1 gallon.

There is still the difference of a gallon and a half of medium but I think this is more about the watering and eventual size/health of the plant ?

Sourced some plastic containers 12" x 16 1/2" x 6 1/2H, pour in a gallon of water and cover with as much perlite as necessary ! Lots of room for a drain hole !

BTW > the bottom of a five gallon pail is the same as my bags. The pail would have to be higher than where it sits on perlite in order to have a drain hole. Not a problem but there would be no opportunity for air to easily enter between the perlite and the bottom of the bag ? Maybe try it next time !

Just seems a better system would the bag sitting on a larger container.

And I won't be moving the bag, it will be free to grow into the perlite..

Cheers

I'm calling this Day 1 above ground for all five of my girls :yahoo:

The Maui Wowie is a Whopping 1" tall 😆

Trainwreck is just emerging and hasn't unfolded her leaves yet. The other three are about 1/2" tall...

Day 1 Maui Wowie 17 Sept 2024.jpg

Some fun via Apple Betty :bongrip:

The Columbian Gold had a helmet head ! At a casual glance it appeared to be ready to come off so I gave it a gentle "touch" ;)

Came right off without a tug ! Some time later I thought to have a closer look...

The membrane was still encasing the leaves. It did appear there was a small space between the leaves.

I have found the helmut heads benefit from some "help" as early as possible, especially auto's. Time is precious !

So I put my finger behind the head and gently poked a wood skewer through the space, got in far enough to pop the membrane off 😆

Could have just spritzed it with water and waited a bit but...

The Swick design is still evolving !

Thinking the key to this comparison run is to have the same size reservoir as the GroBuckets > ~ 1 gallon.

There is still the difference of a gallon and a half of medium but I think this is more about the watering and eventual size/health of the plant ?

Sourced some plastic containers 12" x 16 1/2" x 6 1/2H, pour in a gallon of water and cover with as much perlite as necessary ! Lots of room for a drain hole !

BTW > the bottom of a five gallon pail is the same as my bags. The pail would have to be higher than where it sits on perlite in order to have a drain hole. Not a problem but there would be no opportunity for air to easily enter between the perlite and the bottom of the bag ? Maybe try it next time !

Just seems a better system would the bag sitting on a larger container.

And I won't be moving the bag, it will be free to grow into the perlite..

Cheers
Well that little seedling looks promising, well to go

Back
Top Bottom