Newbie with dramatic growth difference

98greenlude

420 Member
I am a newbie trying an indoor grow for what is essentially the first time. I have two plants growing in 5 gallon soil pots using foxfarm ocean blend it's an indoor cabinet with approximately 12 ft they're at third week of flowering at the end I'm using 5 LED grow strip lights and one spot grow bulb LED feeding them tiger bloom once a week with water big bloom once a week with water and a large water at the end of the week. The two strains one is Jesus OG and the other one is an unknown Indica strain. Jesus OG actually has slightly thinner leaves than the unknown strain. The unknown strain however, looks like it's in week 1 of flowering as compared to Jesus which is a dramatic difference and looks good for week 3. The leaves on unknown don't seem to have any telltale signs of issue growth has been about spot on with stretch as compared to Jesus. My question is does the unknown strain look healthy or should it be further along than it is. The hairs on unknown are thin small and only recently have been able to be seen and Jesus has thick white long hairs spot on with pictures I've seen on week 3 of flower. The pictures I have taken are with my grow lights on and another white grow light in for better pics.

IMG_20220820_080832__01__01.jpg

IMG_20220820_081001__01__01.jpg

IMG_20220820_080802__01__01.jpg

I am a newbie trying an indoor grow for what is essentially the first time. I have two plants growing in 5 gallon soil pots using foxfarm ocean blend it's an indoor cabinet with approximately 12 ft they're at third week of flowering at the end I'm using 5 LED grow strip lights and one spot grow bulb LED feeding them tiger bloom once a week with water big bloom once a week with water and a large water at the end of the week. The two strains one is Jesus OG and the other one is an unknown Indica strain. Jesus OG actually has slightly thinner leaves than the unknown strain. The unknown strain however, looks like it's in week 1 of flowering as compared to Jesus which is a dramatic difference and looks good for week 3. The leaves on unknown don't seem to have any telltale signs of issue growth has been about spot on with stretch as compared to Jesus. My question is does the unknown strain look healthy or should it be further along than it is. The hairs on unknown are thin small and only recently have been able to be seen and Jesus has thick white long hairs spot on with pictures I've seen on week 3 of flower. The pictures I have taken are with my grow lights on and another white grow light in for better pics.

Hey @98greenlude :ciao: hope you are well my friend.
Great garden, welcome to 420Magazine. :welcome:
Just a thought have you been removing fan leaves?
They need them for energy.
Is your light on full?
It needs to be closer if it is?
Have a great weekend.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

It looks fine and some strains take longer in flower than others..some can finish in 7 weeks ..some take up to 11...nothing to worry about. what I would be concerned about is the fact it keeps running away so frequently you have to tie it up like a horse outside a saloon...it even has a bowl of water to drink from.....

Thanks for the info guys. I have been removing fan leaves but I never take more than maybe quarter of them at any time I kinda thought I should leave a few leaves outside of the budsites. But complete newbie trying to get a grip on the whole process since in the state I'm in my medical doesn't have Hindu Kush (landrace) available so I'm trying to get the right feel with seeds I've gathered over the years before I pay for seeds and fail because of novice mistakes I can be making on these seeds.

Thanks for the info guys. I have been removing fan leaves but I never take more than maybe quarter of them at any time I kinda thought I should leave a few leaves outside of the budsites. But complete newbie trying to get a grip on the whole process since in the state I'm in my medical doesn't have Hindu Kush (landrace) available so I'm trying to get the right feel with seeds I've gathered over the years before I pay for seeds and fail because of novice mistakes I can be making on these seeds.
If you need a hand popping your beans I can help.
I'm pretty good at getting them going.
I'll give you a process.
I'm just a rough after. :rofl:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Thanks for the info guys. I have been removing fan leaves but I never take more than maybe quarter of them at any time I kinda thought I should leave a few leaves outside of the budsites.
Basically, the leaves are part of what the plant uses for staying alive. If you take off a quarter of them then you should wait until the plant grows new ones to replace them. Since the plants have already started to flower you, as the grower, want them to concentrate the growth on the flowers instead of the leaves.

My question is does the unknown strain look healthy or should it be further along than it is.
Looks healthy to me. Remember that you are growing two different plants so there is nothing to suggest that they should look and grow the same.

I know it's been a little long to get a thanks guys but.... Thanks! The patience is something I need to learn. The wait to tell how good it is kills me! LoL but in any case I have taken all advice and tweeked things a little bit. Since my original post I have since added a dehumidifier next to my closet, rearranged the lighting, boosted TB & BB slightly, was a bit moree diligent about trimming leaves and just changed the light to go 11 - 13. Today is day 4 of the 6th week of flowering.
*Pic updates*
I think I might see 1 or 2 changing tris when I looked this morning with my jewelers loop.i am leaving for 8 days on Tuesday of next week, is there a good way to handle it as I don't think they will be ready to harvest beforehand and I don't wanna have anyone do much other than water as I feel they may kill my plants. Advice?

I feel like this is more a learning experience than a real harvest but that's fine in my eyes as long as I improve going forward.

Thanks in advance everyone
Fire up that 🔥

IMG_20220907_093926.jpg

IMG_20220907_093908.jpg

IMG_20220907_093830.jpg

IMG_20220907_093806.jpg

IMG_20220907_093643.jpg

IMG_20220907_093637.jpg

IMG_20220907_093611.jpg

IMG_20220907_093555.jpg

IMG_20220907_093534.jpg

Also I have a clone of my one which I moved out doors initially and plan on keeping outside untill I harvest the current as it seems to be holding and growing nicely now. Only thing is I'm in the north east and daylight times are dwindling quickly so is the warm weather. Thoughts on this? (Keep in mind In 6 days I'll be leaving for 8 days)

IMG_20220907_095756.jpg

IMG_20220907_095747.jpg

I know it's been a little long to get a thanks guys but.... Thanks! The patience is something I need to learn. The wait to tell how good it is kills me! LoL but in any case I have taken all advice and tweeked things a little bit. Since my original post I have since added a dehumidifier next to my closet, rearranged the lighting, boosted TB & BB slightly, was a bit moree diligent about trimming leaves and just changed the light to go 11 - 13. Today is day 4 of the 6th week of flowering.
*Pic updates*
I think I might see 1 or 2 changing tris when I looked this morning with my jewelers loop.i am leaving for 8 days on Tuesday of next week, is there a good way to handle it as I don't think they will be ready to harvest beforehand and I don't wanna have anyone do much other than water as I feel they may kill my plants. Advice?

I feel like this is more a learning experience than a real harvest but that's fine in my eyes as long as I improve going forward.

Thanks in advance everyone
Fire up that 🔥

IMG_20220907_093926.jpg

IMG_20220907_093908.jpg

IMG_20220907_093830.jpg

IMG_20220907_093806.jpg

IMG_20220907_093643.jpg

IMG_20220907_093637.jpg

IMG_20220907_093611.jpg

IMG_20220907_093555.jpg

IMG_20220907_093534.jpg
Looks good my friend. :thumb:
Hope you are well.
Just wondering are you giving her as much light as you can?

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:

Ya I'm thinking I underestimated the LED's I chose. I have been taken notes and making comments in my journal on modifying my cabinet upgrading lights I commented in my journal in June so that has been on my list... Currently though a spot led (Walmart cheap) a grow led from home Depot and a 5 strip LED adjustable from Amazon. I'm sure it is insufficient but was hoping it would do the job for my first go. Didn't want to spend a great deal and fail. The cabinet is 5'tx3'wx2'd, Computer fan built into the wall w\ foam filter, 5 strip LED mounted to frame hanging from above on a pulley, spot mounted to wall (adjustable), HD led light mounted to door, vent at top and currently a table top fan mounted to the top blowing down. Also have a dehumidifier turned on pointing at the cabinet. Inside of the cab is painted in gloss white paint.

They are in ff ocean mix soil in large pots (only 3 would fit in left to right but only just). I don't know how much gb, BB & TB mixes to give at any one time so I have been what I think is very stingy with them and after a TB next water would get only water and a good deal.

Any and all advice welcome!

IMG_20220907_130328.jpg

Ya I'm thinking I underestimated the LED's I chose. I have been taken notes and making comments in my journal on modifying my cabinet upgrading lights I commented in my journal in June so that has been on my list... Currently though a spot led (Walmart cheap) a grow led from home Depot and a 5 strip LED adjustable from Amazon. I'm sure it is insufficient but was hoping it would do the job for my first go. Didn't want to spend a great deal and fail. The cabinet is 5'tx3'wx2'd, Computer fan built into the wall w\ foam filter, 5 strip LED mounted to frame hanging from above on a pulley, spot mounted to wall (adjustable), HD led light mounted to door, vent at top and currently a table top fan mounted to the top blowing down. Also have a dehumidifier turned on pointing at the cabinet. Inside of the cab is painted in gloss white paint.

They are in ff ocean mix soil in large pots (only 3 would fit in left to right but only just). I don't know how much gb, BB & TB mixes to give at any one time so I have been what I think is very stingy with them and after a TB next water would get only water and a good deal.

Any and all advice welcome!

IMG_20220907_130328.jpg
Those tall branches tie them over flat. LST
Drop that light 2" a day until your as close as you can get without any adverse reaction.
Bring the other one over.
Maximize what you have I meant. :Namaste:
I know your looking to upgrade.
We all do the best with what we have. :thumb:
It's all good. ;)
You might as well get every drop of available energy to the girls.
Try that.
Did I mention don't take leaves off?

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:

Didn't want to spend a great deal and fail.
Yet that's how you might feel since you didn't spend enough. I'm big into saving a buck just like the next person..and I hate the youtube "gotta buy every little gadget for content" BS...but I do think that without a quality light and quality genetics you might be turned off growing due to a lack of success. You just cant get nice dense nugs with a CFL light no matter how master of a grower you are..it ain't going to happen.

It has been done though but usually by people who are dedicated and are more than willing and happy to accept defeat. ;)
That makes no sense..A under powered light is a under powered light no matter how much you care...and a under powered light will produce crap results no matter if you stare at your garden all day or not.

Back
Top Bottom