Newbie to Growing, reading all I can!

Fladawg01

420 Member
Just getting into this as I get close to retirement. Tired of buying and want to understand what I enjoy, so just ordered a mjority of my indoor needs (Tent, Ventilation, Lights etc) and reading as much as possible. I have friends who grow outdoors, but my situation doesn't allow that, so I am relegated to indoors. Hoping to pick up some tips from all the ones who have been successful and even those who haven't to try and avoid the pitfalls. I may not post a lot, but will be looking for concerns and tips to assist in my first grow. Thanks to all.

Welcome to 420 @Fladawg01

Don't shy from asking questions and you'll grow fine here - which method interests you? [soil, hydro, coco, sip etc]

Thanks. Just received my grow tent today so waiting on some other equipment to make it complete. I already ordered some auto flowering seeds to make the first attempt somewhat an easier learning curve. (I hope) But now looking at soils and other items before the first planting. Probably another couple weeks to start.
Cool - I grow autos in coco because they wanna grow fast and it's easy to doctor

Just getting into this as I get close to retirement. Tired of buying and want to understand what I enjoy, so just ordered a mjority of my indoor needs (Tent, Ventilation, Lights etc) and reading as much as possible. I have friends who grow outdoors, but my situation doesn't allow that, so I am relegated to indoors. Hoping to pick up some tips from all the ones who have been successful and even those who haven't to try and avoid the pitfalls. I may not post a lot, but will be looking for concerns and tips to assist in my first grow. Thanks to all.
Welcome to 420Magazine my friend :welcome:
We are here to help :thumb:
Hope your new room goes well.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Welcome to the forums! :welcome:

You found just the right place to get the information you need over here! And a lot of nice people with a lot of knowledge are around! Have fun in here!:nomo:

Probably starting with soil would be the best choice... :ganjamon:

Small pot soil grower here. Welcome to the Forum!

A while back I answered what I thought a new grower would need.

To me, that answer is a simple combination of:

- a good environment which can be had with one of the sponsor's grow tent packages which includes a tent, good light, and a good extraction fan

- a good, simple, easy to use and effective nute like Geoflora

- a good grow media like Promix, or the Fox Farm mix

- a simple container (a SIP) that eliminates the wet/dry issues that holds back most new growers

- some sort of pest control process or products, also easily available from our sponsors

- their own grow journal to allow the community to help where needed and short cut the learning time involved.

That combination of very simple things would all but ensure a new grower would have pretty good success without really knowing much at all to start.

And, although not a necessity, I would also add a good training method, like quadlining, to the list for a very effective grow.

Welcome to the 420 Magazine family @Fladawg01. CL🍀:thumb: :welcome: :cheer::party::cheer::theband::420:

Welcome to 420 Magazine @Fladawg01

It sound like you are ready to jump into the pool. :welldone:
Have you decided what strain you would like to start with?
How many plants are you going to start with?

Here's some helpful info: Welcome New Members - Please Read Before Posting

Here is some information if you would like to start a grow journal How to Make a Grow Journal

If you want to see want other growers are doing, here's that link.

This is where you place your grow journal.

Journals in Progress: Current and Ongoing

And, after you have over 50 posts you can vote and enter our contests to win free grow stuff from our sponsors.

420 Contests: Win Cool 420 Prizes

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,

Tok.. :bong:

Also, we now have a Fungi section if you would like to grow mushrooms.

Welcome to 420 @Fladawg01

Don't shy from asking questions and you'll grow fine here - which method interests you? [soil, hydro, coco, sip etc]
Going to go with soils and indoors. Have a 4X4X80 Pro tent to start, 6" exhaust fan, 430 watt VSF 4300 LED all Vivosun products. Thinking of either Coast of Maine or Happy Frog and 50/50 mix of another organic soil, just to keep proprietary compounds and have a loose soil. Unsure if I will run a drip irrigation or not, but since i travel for work I think it would help when on the rd.

Can I ask what qualining is? Thx for the post.
Link's in my sig but, basically a training methodology; topping above node 4 on a seedling, removing nodes 1 and 2, and using LST (Low Stress Training) to bend/train the branches from nodes 3 and 4 out to the pot sides before letting them go vertical.

You end up with a nice symmetrical plant, even canopy, and increased harvests. And all from a very simple and fast method.

There are many others around, but this is the one i prefer.

Nice! I started this journey a year and a half ago. So many videos watched and articles read but nothing has informed me as much as my own success and failures.

Autos can be tricky to learn with since they have a tendency to flower prematurely when conditions are not optimal.

Lots of experts on YouTube like Bruce bugbee and other renowned growers. Athena has partnered with Bruce recently and created a series of short but informative videos. Mr grow it also has a lot of experts on his channel.

Get a notepad and write down every single thing you do. If possible, grow multiple of the same strain and experiment to see what works and what doesn't. There are lots of different ways to grow. For me, organic soil was the most difficult. My dwc Hydro grow has been the easiest by far.

Definitely take advantage of the pros on here and other reputable website forms. Reddit is also okay but keep in mind the age group on there.

Welcome to the party @Fladawg01! Happy growing to you.

There's a bunch of folks here to help when/if the need arises. :Rasta:

Back
Top Bottom