Newbie planning on building micro nano grow box

Viscera

420 Member
Hello guys, I'm newbie here, I've read a lot of stuff about growing. And decided to test it by myself. The only problem I have is space... So I want to make it stealthy as possible (quiet, no smell, easy to access) and as cheap as possible. I'm planning on using 30x35x75 cm box (1'x1'x2,5' ?) Or 40x40x120 with white foil inside to reflect light, 2 fans (1 exhaust, 1 intake) with carbon filter that is used in kitchen hood. Planning to grow 1 plant at a time and training it with mesh

Only thing I really need help with is lightning. I've read so much stuff that I think I overead my brain. First of all I don't want to buy prebuilt stuff, I want to diy best possible combination and now to my questions.

1. What temperature color is best for veg + flowering? Some said 2700k + 5000k or 3000k + 6500k or 3500k + 6500k or some other combination?

2. DIYing some led diodes on star pcb or COB? (This is related to 1. Using 2 different COBs or 1 with full spectrum?

3. Using more Led lights of lower wattage or fewer of higher wattage?

4. How much wattage will I need? Based on my knowledge aomething between 50-100W.

I got inspired here by this guy

Welcome Vescera to 420 Magazine
Here are some small box grows @carcass and @Amadeus Forzin .
My lighting the mh/hps is 5000k for veg and 2100k for flower . I don’t even know what my kind led is !

Welcome Viscera! Nice start! Check out Mars Hydro for good quality lights for pretty good $. They show their footprints on the website so it tells you what light is right for your situation. Call SmokeSarah in with @ if you want to talk with her. She's the rep and is knowledgeable.

Welcome to the forum @Viscera :welcome:

I agree with @stoneotter for that small of an area, you can't build 1 cheaper, and Mars has UV, IR, along with the full spectrum from 2700k to 6500k...been looking myself :thumb:

If your grow size is 40x40x120cm, Mars Hydro TS600 is a good choice for you. It's full spectrum, good for veg and flower grow. The wattage is 100w. No noise design. You can see more info from Mars Hydro website::)

Hi! Welcome to the forums. Having a very small setup myself I'd advise going with the 40x40x120. The extra height will save you a lot of grief. Not sure a cooker hood filter will do the job. I tried DIY carbon filters and they weren't up to it once flowering started. Ended up fitting a canlite 150 filter. Think that's about as small as the can filters go and a 120mm PC fan works great with it for extraction. One of those filters costs about £30. I had letting agents stood next to my cabinet and they didn't notice anything. Ha ha.

As for lighting I'd agree with others that building one for your size isn't really cost effective. Lots of options out there for you though without breaking the bank. I went with a 4000k 65W HLG quantum board as it is very low profile so gives you those extra few inches for your plant to grow (you'll be thankful for that when things start getting tight in there). Gives off very little heat, no noise, low energy consumption, dimmable, fine for veg and flower with a small space and cost about £65. Worked a treat for me anyway.

Check out the guys @West Hippie mentioned and feel free to check out my setup too. I started with a DIY lighting rig but soon switched it out. As others mentioned Mars have some good affordable options too.

Good luck with it and definitely get a journal going. I had so much help from the great people here when starting out. I love following the small grows to see what's possible. Most of all 'have fun with it'.

If your grow size is 40x40x120cm, Mars Hydro TS600 is a good choice for you. It's full spectrum, good for veg and flower grow. The wattage is 100w. No noise design. You can see more info from Mars Hydro website::)

This is on my wishlist for when I build the next stealth cabinet. Sure you wouldn't be disappointed with this option.

Back
Top Bottom