Nevada County Sheriff, Marijuana Growers On Same Side Of Recreational Pot Initiative

Katelyn Baker

Local medical marijuana grow advocates and Nevada County Sheriff Keith Royal may have finally found themselves on the same side of an issue - opposition to the Adult Use of Marijuana Act.

The act, now a certainty to appear on the November ballot, would legalize the recreational use of marijuana for those at least 21 years old. Its passage would add California to a small list of states - Colorado, Washington, Oregon, Alaska and the District of Columbia - that already have legalized it.

Royal and two representatives of local medical marijuana groups oppose the November push to legalize recreational marijuana in California, though they have different reasons for their opposition to AUMA.

The sheriff points to problems he sees in Colorado, the first state to legalize recreational marijuana.

"I see all the negatives associated with legalization," Royal said.

Legal marijuana impacts crime, Royal said, which affects more than only those who use it.

According to Royal, crime has sprouted in areas around recreational dispensaries in Colorado.

"I would be opposed to those types of businesses in Nevada County," he added.

Grow advocates have issues with a voter initiative creating law instead of the state Legislature. They cite Measure W, which would have implemented an outdoor grow ban in Nevada County. If Measure W had passed, only another voter initiative could have overturned it.

Patricia Smith, president of the Nevada County chapter of Americans for Safe Access, pointed to that problem as one reason she's opposed to AUMA. She'd prefer the Legislature craft laws that could then be tweaked.

Smith also has an issue with what she called AUMA's over-regulation. The act is more than 60 pages long.

"I'm voting 'No,'" she added. "First time ever I find myself in alignment with law enforcement on a marijuana issue."

Jonathan Collier, chairman of the Nevada County California Growers Association, also opposes AUMA, though he noted his organization has made no formal decision on it.

Collier calls the 60-plus page document poor legislative policy. Initiatives should be a handful of pages, with regulations to come afterward.

Collier also fears the act would usher in what he called Big Cannabis, which could push small farmers out of the industry.

According to Collier, the medical marijuana industry currently fosters a level playing field for women and minorities. A corporate cannabis industry could destroy that.

"I think AUMA would basically disrupt the level playing field and put it in the hands of big government, big corporations," he said.

"It's too much too soon," Collier added later.

credJustinSullivan1.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Nevada County Sheriff, Marijuana Growers On Same Side Of Recreational Pot Initiative
Author: Alan Riquelmy
Photo Credit: Justin Sullivan

Back
Top Bottom