Need some help starting a hempy bucket

wildjim

Yes I am a newbie. I'm 64 years old in 25 days. Just so you know, old man syndrome. I plan to start a hempy bucket this weekend.

I had a problem on my first grow, a DWC. Over one month and never got roots out of rockwool 1.5" cube with GH Farm Kit dripping. 8" net pot with hydroton. Five gallon bucket. Started seed in a rw cube under 4 bulb T5 2' long. Used wrong fertilizer I think, I don't know. Nute temp got too high (over 75 degrees) using 200 Watt (actual) CFL too close maybe. I don't know. Tent got to over 90 degrees, possible trouble too. 2nd seed didn't germinate. Possible due to starting with 25% fert to start seeds in the cubes. Started with my tomato seeds and other veggies. All of which are doing great in my hydroponic system I made outside on my deck.

This time I will try the soak in water and paper towel method I have read about in 420 Magazine forums. My first question is "After germinating do I put the germinated seed in the hempy bucket in perlite right away?" All of the threads I have read about hempy buckets do not give that information. I know an AF should not be transplanted.

The seed I have is Northern Light X Big Bud fem Auto. It is my last seed out of 3. Two failures. I will be growing in a 20" x 36" x 60" tent. Under a Mars 2 700 Watt. I plan 24/0 lighting. I only have 100% perlite to use, no vermiculite. I have GH FloraNova Grow and Bloom and plan to try the Lucas Formula with 8ml Bloom per gallon and not use the Grow part. I also plan a feeding schedule of water, feed, water, water, feed etc. every two days. My second question is "when do I start feeding?"

If you can help I would really appreciate it. If I have any wrong ideas in the plans above, please let me know. I plan on a journal for this grow so you can see how your suggestions help.
Thanks
:peace:

After paper towel method, plant seed into jiffy pellet or root riot plug. You can then keep it in that till roots show or you can plant it directly into larger bucket that way. If you use Lucas formula and veg with cfl, you want low light formula which is 5ml micro 10ml bloom. You can start feeding nutes to auto at two weeks. Check out my grow in signature, I'm doing what you're doing but with photoperiod plant, not auto

I use gh 3 part nutes, so I use only bloom and micro. I didn't see you mention micro, and I don't think bloom will have enough nitrogen for you. But there are a few of us growing hempy, so we at always here to help

Thanks for the reply! GH FloraNova is a two part not a three part like you are using. I won't be using a CFL. I bought an LED from a sponsor, Sara's company TOPLEDGROWLIGHT, it's a Mars 2 700 Watt. I do have a T5, as described in my post, that I can use but prefer to veg with the LED as per instructions 36" above. I never heard of a "root riot plug" and as there are no Hydro stores local I won't be able to pick up any. I haven't been able to drive because of the darn Glaucoma and I live at the mercy of my wife and sons. They are mostly working when sotres are open. I do have a True Value hardware and a walmart near by. Are they sold in those stores?

They may have them. If not something very similar. I always order everything from Amazon. That is a bad ass light. I have the 400 watt one of theirs and I love it. Haven't vegged under it yet, but will someday. I still prefer cfl, and my grow space won't allow more plants yet. When my plant finishes, I'll veg my new one under it for a few weeks. Good luck with your grow! It's a great community here with plenty of people who love to help

I remember the thread when you bought it. I had been watching to buy a LED and researching for a few months. Wife and I had been discussing trying to grow my medicine. But being retired on disability since 1990 it took a while to round up all the cash needed for all the equipment and the beans. It cost over $100 for postage just to send cash with tracking to a bean seller overseas. I have one seed left to try. I will call the hardware to find out if the sell the root riot plugs. Like you, I have a small tent to grow in and I will be able to have a few hempy's in there if I do it right. Do you use Thrive Alive or Superthrive or any root supplements?

Did you send them cash with tracking? I'm going just use my card next time. I got a suggestion to try Heavyweight Seeds "Fast and Vast". I read about it and would consider those. Herbies has them. Have you ever heard of them or heard of anyone the grew them?

I used my credit card and ordered from them, sent directly to house. I'm paranoid, but not that paranoid. I've been hearing a lot about the fast and vast lineup, thinking of trying the heavyweight fruit punch

Hey PeytonManning. I do have one plant growing. It is in a DWC. I think it is about two weeks from chopping time. It was stunted and I had considerable trouble with her too. She was under CFL til I got the LED. Same problems with her as the other one, or causing factors I should say. She's is a Red Poison from Sweet Seeds. She also had root slime as thick as your finger. I washed her roots with the spray of the kitchen sink. I think that was from heat from the LED too close. She was 14" tall when she started to flower. No limbs. Hope to get something for my eyes. Let me know what you think.

IMG_026438.JPG

If it's the last two weeks it should fatten up into some decent meds. But if you smoke like me, that won't last long. I thought about doing dwc and ------------,but then learned about res changes, root rot, and a bunch of other things I just didn't want to deal with. At least hempy you can't over water it, and after two weeks I can feed it every day. I don't know if I'll ever switch from hempy. Sweet seeds huh, a guy yesterday was posting pics of his sweet seeds black cream auto. That thing looks ridiculously awesome

I haven't had a taste since my brother died in Aug 2012. He got me some whenever he was in town. He work on the road and lived in hotels for nearly 20 years. He was 4 years younger than me. His story is a sad one I won't burden you with.

I have been growing hydro on my back deck for a couple years. Sort of like DWC or close to Hempy because buckets are filled with perlite. Across the top are lettuce and Bok Choy "like NFT"that I replace every 30 days or so. See my profile for a photo. Anyway that's why I chose DWC because I thought I had been already doing it. I have a reservoir you can't see. A 12 gallon cooler I aerate and pump nutes to each plant. Works great.

Yea, the roots are definitely a problem with DWC. Temps can cause you trouble. My tent is too small. Should have gotten one taller to keep light a little further away mainly for heat. I like the idea of Hempy too. As long as the seeds work. The Red Poison didn't get roots out of the net pot for almost a month. I flicked some Root Tone powder on the bottom of the netpot. And she started roots.

Took a quick look at your profile and only saw you survived the war. I survived the war too, Viet Nam. 1968 I got sent to Hawaii for surgery and tried real Maui Wowie. Loved it. Wife and I went back there to live in 1978.

Sorry to hear about your brother. I don't know what I'd do if I lost mine. Glad you made it through Vietnam too! My dad was there in the early 70's. He was a helicopter door gunner. He's never told me a single story, and my mom just told me he had to take aim at women and children and anything that moved. Yeah, my little war wasn't fun at all, but nowhere near what you guys went through. Things were a lot different back then. I wish I could get my hands on some true real old school genetics. And if you want to tell me about your brother you can. It won't bore me and it's always good to talk about the ones you love. But if it pains you to tell it, I don't want to put you in a funk for the night.

He was my best friend. He had a heart attack and had a balloon job done. He lived with us for nearly a year. Then he bought a Condo in Florida. Said he wanted to sell bait. He bought new furniture and a 65" TV. He was in Florida for four days. His neighbor found him. He was a person anyone would like to be like. He was a damn good guitar player. Loved music. We used to play guitar together. I had a stroke that screwed up my left hand and had to stop. Got too angry when I tried to play. He and I used to fish all the time. He lived on a boat for a few years in the 80's and in early 90's. Yea, he was my best friend.
But three months ago I lost another brother. Liver Cancer, he was a drinker, heavy. And three weeks ago my father passed away. He was 89. He buried 5 of my brothers and sisters. Fortunately he didn't have to bury me. It was close a few times tho.

Ouch. I'm sorry you had to go through so much. I couldn't imagine being your father and having to bury a child. My little brother is a real heavy drinker, hard liquor only. I'm gonna have to get on his ass about that. I wish I knew how to play guitar, but I'm too poor to get into that lol. You've had it pretty rough my friend, it's a good thing you got back into self medicating.

Checked out that setup you have on porch. That's a pretty awesome job you did with that. And a good medicinal strain for glaucoma is one called cannatonic. Herbie's sells it.

Your Dad is like me. I don't tell stories either. I went through a thing called Vietnam Veteran Outreach Program back in the 70's. The VA did it. All it was was guys telling stories. Made my dreams worse and more often so I quit going. It mad my PTSD worse and worse and worse. hehehe When we moved to Hawai'i I had trouble because of all the orientals. I am doing ok now. My daughter in law is Chinese and my grandson is part Chinese. I haven't had a dream in a few months so I guess I'm good.

I flew in a bunch of Choppers. Mostly they were 1st of the 9th Cav. I was Cav. Air Mobile! Garry Owen Sir! I was in the Central Highlands, a beautiful area but loaded with bad guys. I was a medic and infantry. Spent my time on 6 man teams snoopin and poopin as we called it. We were called "runners" because we spent most of out time running. Well that's enough of that. Tell your Dad, Welcome Home for me. You guys get the "Thanks for your service" bullsh!t, don't you? Well, thanks! I got a disease that nearly killed me. Hepatitis C in a shot the Army gave me before going to Nam to keep from getting hepatitis. Has your Dad been checked for Hep C? I nearly died from that. Lost 94 pounds.

Its good you ain't got the bad dreams going on. Mine still happen pretty regularly, but I'm working through it. The only person who's ever heard my stories is my son, but he's under 2 years old, so I think my secrets are safe with him.

My dad never had hepatitis, but he did get the clap twice from the same prostitute lol!

When I was overseas we ran a lot of support for 1st cav. Hooah!

And of course, the usual thank you for your service. I'm guessing you hear that a lot too

Back
Top Bottom