My essay for architecual history.

RolandDaPirate

Its long and not very well written, lol but hey ill let yall see it if anyone actually wants to read it lol...

Between the Rivers
The Sumerians where of the first civilizations on earth, they settled in the Mesopotamian region, present-day Iraq and Kuwait. The Sumerians lived in a number of small city-states, the rulers of each city state constantly fought one another for land disputes and water. The ruler was responsible for maintaining the city walls, irrigation systems, and protecting the people. They also led armies during wars and enforced the laws of the city-states. As the government grew, they would employee scribes to carry out duties such as Tax collecting and book keeping. The rulers were also seen as the chief servant of the gods and led ceremonies to please them. The Sumerian jobs consisted of pottery makers, stonecutters, bricklayers, metal smiths, farmers, fishers, shepherds, weavers, leather-workers, and sailors. They also Traded with other civilizations at the time. Archaeologists have found goods from as far away as Egypt and India in the rubble of Sumerian cities. In 2300 B.C. Sargon the ruler of Akkad invaded the Sumer. He then built the first empire known to history. Shortly after his death the small city-states regained control. Later on in 1900 B.C. invaders from the Arabian Desert, entered and captured the city-state of Babylon. in 1750 B.C. Hammurabi conquered the other city-states in the Tigris-Euphrates valley and formed the Babylonian Empire. Hammurabi later came up with the first major collection of laws. Code of Hammurabi. The code of Hammurabi consists of 282 laws.

This Code of Hammurbi reveals:
1. A stern sense of justice - proclaiming the principle of "an eye for an eye" and demanding severe punishment for crimes - bribery, theft, dishonest weights and measures, and damage to another's property.
2. A sharp division of classes - providing harsher punishment for an offense against a noble or priest than for the same offense against a common person - an artisan, merchant, farmer, or slave
3. A fair treatment of women - permitting them to own property and engage in business. However, the code strictly regulated the behavior of women. It expected a woman to remain in her husband's home and be dependent on him. A husband, however, had a legal duty to support his wife. The code also gave a father nearly unlimited authority over his children. The Babylonians believed that an orderly household headed by a strong father was necessary for a stable empire.
4. An advanced business society- establishing regulations for protecting property and business contracts, limiting interest on loans, and setting wages for workers.

In 1700 B.C. the Hittites gained control of Babylon followed by the Assyrians. The Hittites and the Assyrians ruled over Babylon for over 1,000 years. In 626 B.C., after the death of the Assyrian governor of Babylon, Nabopolassar claimed the throne. He then took control of Babylonia, in 616 BC. With help from the Medes: Nabolopassar captured some of the most important cities of the Assyria including the capital Nineveh. In 605 B.C. Nabopolassar's son Nebuchadnezzar II, , succeeded to the throne. By then the new Babylonian Empire stretched from the Persian Gulf to the Mediterranean Sea. During the rule of Nebuchadnezzar he built 3 great monuments: Ishtar Gate, Hanging Gardens, Ziggarat (tower of Babel) and pushed the ideas of learning astronomy. The priest- astronomers believed the stars and planets had a great effect on earth.

The Dedicatory Inscription on the Ishtar Gate reads:
Nebuchadnezzar, King of Babylon, the faithful prince appointed by the will of Marduk, the highest of princely princes, beloved of Nabu, of prudent counsel, who has learned to embrace wisdom, who fathomed their divine being and reveres their majesty, the untiring governor, who always takes to heart the care of the cult of Esagila and Ezida and is constantly concerned with the well-being of Babylon and Borsippa, the wise, the humble, the caretaker of Esagila and Ezida, the firstborn son of Nabopolassar, the King of Babylon.
Both gate entrances of Imgur-Ellil and Nemetti-Ellil following the filling of the street from Babylon had become increasingly lower. Therefore, I pulled down these gates and laid their foundations at the water table with asphalt and bricks and had them made of bricks with blue stone on which wonderful bulls and dragons were depicted. I covered their roofs by laying majestic cedars length-wise over them. I hung doors of cedar adorned with bronze at all the gate openings. I placed wild bulls and ferocious dragons in the gateways and thus adorned them with luxurious splendor so that people might gaze on them in wonder

I let the temple of Esiskursiskur (the highest festival house of Markduk, the Lord of the Gods a place of joy and celebration for the major and minor gods) be built firm like a mountain in the precinct of Babylon of asphalt and fired bricks.

The Ishtar Gate was one of the eight inner city gates of Babylon it was built in 575 BC, all eight gates where dedicated to there own deities. The Ishtar Gate was an outer entrance to the city, behind it stood an even higher entrance. The Ishtar gate was built to show the wealth and power of the Neo-Babylonian civilization. Since it was on the northern side of the town it was heavily used. The arched gate was made of brick, glazed with a copper turquoise glaze alternating with unglazed brick covered with gold leaf. Lions, bulls, and dragons are placed along in rows Flanking the entrance.
King Nebuchadnezzar built the hanging gardens for his home sick wife Amyitis. She was the daughter of the king of the Medes; she married Nebuchadnezzar to create an alliance between the nations. came from a place that was green, rugged and mountainous, she found the flat, terrain of Mesopotamia depressing. So the king recreated her homeland by building an artificial mountain with Gardens. The Hanging Gardens didn't really hang but the name comes from the Latin word pensilis, which means "overhanging" as like terrace or balcony.

Now the whole earth had one language and few words. And as men migrated from the east, they found a plain in the land of Shinar and settled there. And they said to one another, "Come, let us make bricks, and burn them thoroughly." And they had brick for stone, and bitumen for mortar. Then they said, "Come, let us build ourselves a city, and a tower with its top in the heavens, and let us make a name for ourselves, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth."
And the Lord came down to see the city and the tower, which the sons of men had built. And the Lord said, "Behold, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; and nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them. Come, let us go down, and there confuse their language, that they may not understand one another's speech."
So the Lord scattered them abroad from there over the face of the earth, and they left off building the city. Therefore its name was called Babel, because there the Lord confused the language of all the earth; and from there the Lord scattered them abroad over the face of the earth. - Genesis 11.

The Tower of Babel was reconstructed by King Nebuchadnezzar II, he rebuilt the tower to stand 295 feet high It is said that the tower of Babel had one central tower and on top of that another and another until it reached eight levels. The tower was constructed of "baked brick enameled in brilliant blue." The terraces of the tower may have also been planted with flowers and trees. The people of Mesopotamia believed in many gods each city-state had many ziggurats but they also had there main ziggurat for the patron god. When Babylon became the central power of Mesopotamia they built the ziggurat for Marduk, it was later on destroyed and rebuilt to be the tallest tower in the world at the time. It is believed that the reason for building the tower was to reach the gods and talk to them.

The end of Babylon was caused by the attacks of the Persian armies of Cyrus the Great. In 539 B.C. Cyrus and his successors later on went to conquer the largest empire of the time.

Its five and a half pages long double spaced lol...

I didn't really read that far into it, but you need to learn how to use comas and colans and paragraphs before the final draft is due. The structure is pretty bad. :icon_roll Take this just as constructive critisizm, Im not poking fun. In my college english course we "peer edit" papers all the time, Ive seen MUCH worse.

Lol im a horrible writer im in a remidial writting class but this is not for my english class.

goldchico said:
fuck it, turn it in, look at her cross eyed and start drooling, it should make her grade on a curve.

lol i doubt he would curve me even if i did drool hes a fucking hard ass...

Back
Top Bottom