Mother Of Gold

Enr0n

@Moto258
I am at the end of my current grow and the Santa Marta Gold plant has done such a good job I am going to make an attempt at making her a mother plant. I have experience with bonsai and the training of both the foliage and root ball.

She will be cut down to the last two lower limbs that still show good signs of vigor wanting to grow. On the base of the trunk there is also signs of growth.
20210106_154901.jpg
20210106_155425.jpg
20210106_155402.jpg

I already have fabricated a mini grow area out of a plastic shipping crate. I plan on cleaning and painting the plastic with the most reflective white spray paint I can find. The container is indie the house so I can monitor it easily and she will have time to recuperate while I remodel the grow room.
20210106_160011.jpg

@Moto258
I am at the end of my current grow and the Santa Marta Gold plant has done such a good job I am going to make an attempt at making her a mother plant. I have experience with bonsai and the training of both the foliage and root ball.

She will be cut down to the last two lower limbs that still show good signs of vigor wanting to grow. On the base of the trunk there is also signs of growth.
20210106_154901.jpg
20210106_155425.jpg
20210106_155402.jpg

I already have fabricated a mini grow area out of a plastic shipping crate. I plan on cleaning and painting the plastic with the most reflective white spray paint I can find. The container is indie the house so I can monitor it easily and she will have time to recuperate while I remodel the grow room.
20210106_160011.jpg
That looks like an awesome grow and set up! I love diy set ups!!! These dang tents were a must to have smell control under a little bit lol!
I have a strain I’m working on to be a bonsai as well! I would have created a bonsai with mother northerns big stauk but since she wasn’t a know genetic in my garden I was iffy on it but I still kept her genetics alive for a later date for a bonsai. Glad I did keep the genes alive because damn this stuff is mighty strong and has that exhale taste that just hits the taste buds!

image.jpg

Smell is something I don't worry about. Wife doesn't mind and being rural has it's benefits. Anyhow if need be I show them my cultivators license issued by the state.

There are two different techniques I plan to employ, the standard cut and dip and I will try to air layer a section to see if I can get bonified roots on the stem before transplant.

Smell is something I don't worry about. Wife doesn't mind and being rural has it's benefits. Anyhow if need be I show them my cultivators license issued by the state.

There are two different techniques I plan to employ, the standard cut and dip and I will try to air layer a section to see if I can get bonified roots on the stem before transplant.
Ohh trust me even having two card holders here me being one I’m still paranoid as crazy. Seen to many horror stories with pets involved that I don’t want to happen!
One of the techniques I use is when I transplant them into their final pots for flower I will leave a couple inches of root ball showing while I adapt her to the knew soil. That way the air gets to the roots plus when you water the base it slowly exposes the roots if you leave that coupe inches exposed and just fill in later on down the road. Been working well for me and when I would plant Japanese maples or really any plant for that matter for clients i had in the lawn/landscape company I would do this to expose the roots and my clients always thought I was trying to show off lol!
I’ve also got this technique not really sure if it works or not but sometimes I even think I’m a little wacko lol but having the roots exposed your able to add in microbiology right to the root whenever you want without disturbing the soil. This northern light strain was lacking nitrogen so I would add in extra dose of nitrogen after a feed separate from the feed mix and it seemed to work like a band aid!!

At this point and time I plan on trimming the roots to mirror the top. What I mean is after the plant is topped and pruned go from the apex to the ground and you will form a cone/pyramid shape. Take that shape invert it and trim the root ball to be almost a mirror image.

During the trim process I will "comb" out the roots and if need be rearrange them to produce a circular pattern with hopefully no roots overlapping any others. If the root ball does indeed have roots that are badly entangled will have to decide whether to leave or remove them. Lastly before she is transplanted I will lightly dust the trimmed ends with root powder.

I have success using this technique on bonsai in the past and don't see why it will not work in this application.

At this point and time I plan on trimming the roots to mirror the top. What I mean is after the plant is topped and pruned go from the apex to the ground and you will form a cone/pyramid shape. Take that shape invert it and trim the root ball to be almost a mirror image.

During the trim process I will "comb" out the roots and if need be rearrange them to produce a circular pattern with hopefully no roots overlapping any others. If the root ball does indeed have roots that are badly entangled will have to decide whether to leave or remove them. Lastly before she is transplanted I will lightly dust the trimmed ends with root powder.

I have success using this technique on bonsai in the past and don't see why it will not work in this application.
Hopefully I wasn’t reading your intentions wrong thinking you were being kind lol and not targeting my knowledge. Just my background a little I’ve been around plants as well for a long time! Maybe not cannibis to say but plants of every sort.

Hopefully I wasn’t reading your intentions wrong thinking you were being kind lol and not targeting my knowledge. Just my background a little I’ve been around plants as well for a long time! Maybe not cannibis to say but plants of every sort.
No I am not targeting anybody's knowledge. Since this is a journal and open to everyone I am just explaining my thoughts, intentions and trying to make sure any member who reads it will understand. Being a person who has trained others in the past I tend to try and ensure that my message is clear.

Anyhow I went and started the air layering today. Since I am snowed in and cannot go fishing thought wth why not. She has a little bit of two weeks before the harvest and maybe in that time the stem I air layered will have roots and I can transplant the clone.

Items used: Warning photos not perfect but you get the idea
Razor Knife
Cotton Ball, (have used sphagnum moss in the past)
Root powder
Sized piece of plastic bag
Bread bag twisties
Rain water warmed to 17C (root temp)

Sterilized the razor blade and plastic with 70% alcohol.
Scraped the selected stem with edge of razor knife to remove a section of the epidermis down to the phloem. I scraped 1/2 of the stem.

Then I applied the root powder to the wound and wrapped it in the cotton ball soaked in water, and then wrapped the plastic around the cotton ball and secured the ends with the twistie ties wrapping them tightly to seal the package. Will check the mass either in 7-10 days and if the roots have not appeared before harvest I can always transplant her with the wounded stem.
20210107_150457.jpg
20210107_151723.jpg
20210107_152224.jpg
20210107_152546.jpg
20210107_153138.jpg

No I am not targeting anybody's knowledge. Since this is a journal and open to everyone I am just explaining my thoughts, intentions and trying to make sure any member who reads it will understand. Being a person who has trained others in the past I tend to try and ensure that my message is clear.

Anyhow I went and started the air layering today. Since I am snowed in and cannot go fishing thought wth why not. She has a little bit of two weeks before the harvest and maybe in that time the stem I air layered will have roots and I can transplant the clone.

Razor Knife
Root powder
Bread bag twisties

Scraped the selected stem with edge of razor knife to remove a section of the epidermis down to the phloem. I scraped 1/2 of the stem.

Then I applied the root powder to the wound and wrapped it in the cotton ball soaked in water, and then wrapped the plastic around the cotton ball and secured the ends with the twistie ties wrapping them tightly to seal the package. Will check the mass either in 7-10 days and if the roots have not appeared before harvest I can always transplant her with the wounded stem.
20210107_150457.jpg
20210107_151723.jpg
20210107_152224.jpg
20210107_152546.jpg
20210107_153138.jpg
No worries my friend all love please forgive my ignorance! I’m just peronoid!! This day and age you never know if your neibor is your friend anymore!! Where I’m from you know your neighbor well enough to know if he’s your friend or not.
Looking great tho!! I’ll be sticking around!! :passitleft:

Razor Knife
Root powder
Bread bag twisties

20210107_150457.jpg
20210107_151723.jpg
20210107_152224.jpg
20210107_152546.jpg
20210107_153138.jpg
Ohh wow. You going to try and clone that? As it’s about finished? I think you should harvest, leave a little vegetation on so it reveges and then clone it. That would make life way way simple for you bro.

Ohh wow. You going to try and clone that? As it’s about finished? I think you should harvest, leave a little vegetation on so it reveges and then clone it. That would make life way way simple for you bro.
Why not the way I see it she has a couple of weeks until harvest and that will give me the time to see if it works. If it doesn't I think she will survive. I could time the cut with harvest:cheesygrinsmiley:
No worries my friend all love please forgive my ignorance! I’m just peronoid!! This day and age you never know if your neibor is your friend anymore!! Where I’m from you know your neighbor well enough to know if he’s your friend or not.
Looking great tho!! I’ll be sticking around!! :passitleft:

Correct and paranoia along with anxiety are some of the reasons I am growing my medicine. I am just basically an old school hillbilly who has a live and let live mantra. We are discussing a plant that has brought us together and I have mucho respect for all of the members of this wonderful forum.

For those who have not seen her. Can't get all of her in the pic at one time. :cheesygrinsmiley: Almost 6 foot from bottom of root ball to top of cola. Her trunk and limbs are very fibrous and sturdy so I see the potential for an outdoor grow with a plant that has some good mass.
20210108_092152.jpg

Went to water and found that the nebari has the appearance of something nibbling on it. :eek: I call mouse since me cat has been bringing them to me. Shithead (cat) does not have permission to my grow area so therefore I have reason to believe it has been infiltrated and the vermin will be eradicated. Mouse traps deployed baited with merican cheese. may they :rip:

20210108_144908.jpg
20210108_145723.jpg

Harvested her today. I watered her Friday and good moisture in soil, so since I performed an event that produced a lot of stress I am going to let her rest under a 18/6 light cycle at least 1 day.

In the meantime I am preparing her new pot. I selected a generic clay pot that I am soaking in water overnight. I choose clay due to the heat retention of the material. I am going to place her back into a FFOF soil mixture.

Photo's n the near future.

Back
Top Bottom