Mites At Harvest: The Age Old Dilemma

HiDro420

Had me like this:

Grow journal (for background info)

Basically I'm ready to harvest very soon and am just waiting for the soil to flush.

The question is should I chop now and wash potentially saving damage to the crop but potentially leaving excess nutrients among it.
Or do I run the gauntlet and let it go a few more days and then chop risking potential damage for reduced nutrient content.

Fyi - I don't think I neccessarily overfed this grow so the flush may not have been neccessary but being a medical grow i'm trying to be thorough as far as contaminants.

Thanks in advance :)

I am a flusher. Turns out many don't believe in flushing at all. I dont know if any of us are right.

If I were you and my buds were ripe, i would chop and wash. Doesn't look too infested yet. I hate bugs and that's why I stopped growing in dirt. That sinking feeling when I would realize I have an infestation... I couldn't handle the stress.

Peace

I agree bro, i've bevun chopping. I'm trying to get it all chopped before sun up but theres a fuckload haha...how much do you find chopping during the day affects quality?

I'm totally with you on ditching the soil - it's a headfuck. I have literally battled the pests this round, whitefly, spider mite, aphids, fungal gnats and trying to treat them organically has been time consuming to say the least and was downright inneffective at times - like throwing water on a house fire.

There's my pest rant off my chest haha :p:thumb:

how much do you find chopping during the day affects quality?
I harvest a couple hours after lights on routinely. I never took much stock in the harvest before lights on method. I get nice potent herbs for personal use. Keeps me out of the stores.

@Bud: that sounds interesting, can you elaborate on your method?

@Ganjagrowergu: yeh I did have a discussion with a mate and came to the conclusion that it wouldn't have a dramatic difference - the scientist in me would still like to see a side by side of the sample A being plucked before light and sample B being plucked after light (with all other variables being constant) and get some chromatography tests done to see the cannabinoid levels.
But back to the backyard...lol until I'll just do what I can - better pulled after light than letting it go to the aphids :D

@FelipeBlu: Yep definitely an aphid where most people are from too haha...I was incorrect before.
Yeh I agree, i'm actually in the process of harvesting now

I use cigarette tobacco it’s like making ice tea place in1gal. Clear container and place in sun or simmer on stove in pot for a while, strain thru coffee filter and spray leaves bouth sides,repeat as needed. Hope it helps

2 or 3 it’s not the amount as much as the potency, longer is always better to simmer or leaving in the sun. Yes, we might make more profit growing tobacco ha,ha,ha at present prices. I’m sure it could work in a microwave tho I haven’t tried yet.

I’d be careful about spraying my bud with a nicotine extract too close to harvest, if at all. Especially if made from cigarettes. The T companies put all kinds of crap in those. Just by itself, nicotine is a very effective insecticide, but it isn’t very good for humans either.

This being a weak solution at best and has been used by farmers on tomatoes and other crops for years, if washed properly before ingesting or smoking like a outdoor grow where’s the harm?

Ah yes the Tomacco plant :D
We make a literal wacky tobaccy plant :p

I tend to agree with Felipe that it doesn't seem like a good idea to expose a plant to so many chemicals that cigarettes contain.
I quit a few years ago and I don't like the idea of them coming back into my life or even near my plants...that being said i'm sure it works and who knows how much of those chemicals would be absorbed foliarly if you had just watered.
I just wouldn't like to chance it myself

I am a flusher. Turns out many don't believe in flushing at all. I dont know if any of us are right.

If I were you and my buds were ripe, i would chop and wash. Doesn't look too infested yet. I hate bugs and that's why I stopped growing in dirt. That sinking feeling when I would realize I have an infestation... I couldn't handle the stress.

Peace
I stopped cloning for the bugs and rot issue and i always start fresh new soil and seeds and left all those issues in the past.

Back
Top Bottom