MD: Public Opinion Divided On Medical Marijuana Bill

Robert Celt

Public opinion was evenly split at a Tuesday hearing on a local bill that would allow medical marijuana to be grown in Frederick County's agricultural districts.

The legislation, sponsored by M.C. Keegan-Ayer, vice president of the Frederick County Council, has seen staunch resistance in the farming community, leading to a formal unanimous vote by the Frederick County Farm Bureau to oppose the growth of medical cannabis in agricultural zones, as well as processing and distribution of the plant, according to the Farm Bureau's president, Robert Ramsburg.

Ramsburg was one of a handful who testified at Tuesday night's public hearing before the County Council, reiterating the bureau's stance on the bill.

In an earlier interview, Ramsburg has said that the bureau does not consider cannabis a crop, and that facilities that grow medical cannabis, in addition to being unsightly, would attract crime.

One proponent at the hearing, Larry Gude, has a lot at stake should the bill fail. Gude, a Middletown farmer, was one of nearly 150 who applied to the Natalie M. LaPrade Maryland Medical Cannabis Commission for a grower license. But if he were to receive one of the 15 licenses the state is granting, he couldn't move forward without the change mandated by Keegan-Ayer's bill. The state expects to select the license recipients by summertime.

"Simply put, this law will allow me to ... keep this farm going," Gude said at the hearing. "We've been struggling very hard for the last seven years to keep going, trying different products, but the economic changes we've all suffered through have us in a tough position. Growing medical cannabis would be wonderful for us and the local economy. We're looking at something like 20 to 30 good-paying jobs and work with local contractors and tradespeople on an ongoing basis."

The bill would allow medical marijuana to be grown in agricultural districts, but only on lots of at least 25 acres, and after the Frederick County Board of Zoning Appeals approves the use as a special exception.

Other regulations the bill enforces:

• The site must not be within 1,000 feet of a dwelling, or on the border of a public or private school.
  • Artificial lighting at the site must not be visible from neighboring properties from dusk to dawn.
  • A 24-hour armed security guard must be on-site, with one additional officer for every 25,000 square feet of growing area.
State law requires fencing and a gate of an unspecified height around the premises, with a security alarm, "to prevent unauthorized entry." Video surveillance that provides date and time stamps must be in place at all times.

The bill's provision regarding the lighting helped ease the concerns of one of Gude's neighbors, Jane Klink. Klink said at the public hearing that she did not worry about the aesthetics of a facility such as Gude's.

"I've watched him pour a lot [of heart] and soul into that property, and I know how dedicated he is to keeping it and making it productive," Klink said. "I think he'll continue to be a good neighbor and work with our local and state lawmakers to see it through."

But Gude's other neighbor, Ginny Wolf, remained unconvinced. She said that the proposal does not benefit the farming community or Frederick County as a whole.

"Yes, marijuana is a plant that can be grown in the ground. No, it's not an agricultural crop, it is a controlled substance as defined by law," Wolf said. "Growing it is not an agricultural use of property."

Frederick County Sheriff Chuck Jenkins sat in the audience during the hearing, but he did not approach the podium to weigh in. He said that he did not attend for the cannabis hearing, and that he disagrees with the proposal. Interviewed after the meeting, Jenkins said he believes that growing cannabis in agricultural zones would prompt crime.

"It would be naive to think it wouldn't," he said.

Now that the public hearing has concluded, the Frederick County Council may vote on the bill, unless amendments are introduced. Council President Bud Otis concluded Tuesday's meeting with remarks on the bill.

"This cannabis bill will be a very interesting vote," Otis said. "I'm spending a lot of time trying to research it. I think we all come to these things with preconceived ideas, and we need to think it through and see what's really best for the people in our community."

MMJ_Rx2.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: MD: Public Opinion Divided On Medical Marijuana Bill
Author: Jeremy Bauer-Wolf
Photo Credit:

Back
Top Bottom