Local availabilitity of Diatomite

TheFallenLion

(Higromite/Dyna-Rok II/Maidenwell/Silicia Stone)
As the subject states I'm looking for Diatomite available locally in the Bay Area of California, it can go by many product names so I was thinking perhaps Walmart, Target or any of these other stores with nurseries might carry it under another name, does anybody know of such a thing?

Otherwise I'm going to spend between 25-50 dollars on shipping, which is more expensive than a bag of the stuff, and just doesn't feel right.

If you have any information please contact me. I will be checking back over the next few days while this post is refresh for replies before I just say f--- it and pay the insane shipping. :ganjamon:

Re: Local availabilitity of Diatomite (Higromite/Dyna-Rok II/Maidenwell/Silicia Stone

dude your in cali..go to a dam hydroshop and open your eyes.. ddont ship that... should be around 38 to 42 dollars a bag for 40 l ones..i just bought 8 of them...

Re: Local availabilitity of Diatomite (Higromite/Dyna-Rok II/Maidenwell/Silicia Stone

If that was a viable option, I would. But no it isn't.

So the short answer is there is no generic name diatomite available in the entire state, and if you want it, you're going to have to pay brand name mark up, period, otherwise you can buy it wholesale from the very few suppliers in the country.

This is an incredibly crappy situation.

This must be the only California mined generic product that you can't find ANYWHERE.

On another note, Dyna-Rok II is measured in 1.4 cu feet bags... how does that convert to liters? I know I need 2 x 21.5 liter Higromite bags, how that translates to Dyna-Rok is beyond me.

Thank you Hydro, I decided to order from Discount Hydro, they had it at 19.99 per bag, and they had the lowest shipping prices I could find, 20 dollars for UPS ground or 22 for USPS Priority mail, vs 40 for UPS and 60 for UPS as quoted by other sites.

Suffice to say, on heavier objects, I would say if you're in California, I've done business with Discount Hydro three times now, and I've been satisfied with what I purchased each time.

I think this situation of not having locally available at any big gardening related store by its generic name where it could be sold for a fair price with no third party mark up as a hydroponic and soil additive is just sad.

On another note, I ordered a VaporGenie, so soon I will do a thread comparing the VaporGenie vs the VaporStar, as I have the latter and once mastered I'm very pleased with it.

o my bad..ddint know that.... good luck

Thank you Hydro, I decided to order from Discount Hydro, they had it at 19.99 per bag, and they had the lowest shipping prices I could find, 20 dollars for UPS ground or 22 for USPS Priority mail, vs 40 for UPS and 60 for UPS as quoted by other sites.

Suffice to say, on heavier objects, I would say if you're in California, I've done business with Discount Hydro three times now, and I've been satisfied with what I purchased each time.

I think this situation of not having locally available at any big gardening related store by its generic name where it could be sold for a fair price with no third party mark up as a hydroponic and soil additive is just sad.

On another note, I ordered a VaporGenie, so soon I will do a thread comparing the VaporGenie vs the VaporStar, as I have the latter and once mastered I'm very pleased with it.

It's alright man, thank you for the kind words.

Any kind of silica rock is a fantastic hydroponic or top layer / under layer media, I didn't believe any of the hype until I tried it.

Was just trying to find a better deal on a great product, Good luck to you and yours as well sir.

I am assuming you're talking about diatomaceous earth. I got a 50lb bag at the local farm supply a few years ago for $30. The sell the same stuff at the garden center for over $10 for a one pound jar. If you know what you're looking for there are deals to be had. I gets used as animal food supplement. Is great for killing ants, spiders etc. Soaks up oils like a sponge. Great stuff!

Thank you Hydro, I decided to order from Discount Hydro, they had it at 19.99 per bag, and they had the lowest shipping prices I could find, 20 dollars

Next time try Google. I typed diatomaceous earth into the search box - well, actually I typed in dia and it auto-completed diatomaceous earth for me 'cause Google KNOWS that I'm at my laziest just before daylight :grinjoint: - and pressed ENTER. It gave me 619,000 results but I picked the first sponsored link - again, because I'm feeling lazy - which was earthworks health or something similar. I added the 50lb bag of it to the cart, entered 94105 for the zip code which was the only CA one I could remember but I think it's San Francisco. Anyway, the item cost is a little higher at $27.50 but shipping was $5.95 for a total of $33.45.

Now that sounds awful cheap since I think they're in Nebraska or somewhere. It might be a goof but if you routinely order heavy items, it might be worth checking out. I don't think any of the sponsors carry the stuff. (NOTE TO STAFF: If I'm wrong, feel free to delete this post!)

That's quite a deal, I guess I didn't search hard enough, but I was getting frustrated by the effort.

If you can get it shipped for that little, then by all means, do. Otherwise, local would be the nicest way to go but again, that wasn't an option for me at the time and is now.

Good luck and happy growing.

:hmmmm:

All of a sudden, it sounds like there are 2 different things being discussed.

Diatomaceous Earth is derived from the skeletons of diatoms and is good stuff. I used it in my filter also when I had a pool. It is very similar to confectioners sugar in consistency, very fine texture.

Before the DE was brought up, it was silica rock, or Dyna-Rok. This sounds to be a good bit chunkier, more like Hydroton or something of that nature, like for use as a medium.

Lion, which is it you are looking for?

DD

Back
Top Bottom