Lighting

dnut514

I plan on growing in a 4x8 closet I am going to build. I was wondering if I need a 1000w light or will my 400 do just fine iin a close space like that? Or maybe a 600w? Right now my 400w is doing fine flowering 5 plants in the open.

i think he means 4ft by 4ft, 8ft tall 2 1000 or 3 600 would be way too much

hell, even a 400w will provide great results, but if you can afford the 600w, it would only make things sweeter!!!

but at the same time, you say its flowering 5 plants with good results, if it aint broke dont fix it!!!

just curious as top how many plants your planning on stuffing in this closet?

Alright so after I priced out the T5 fluorescents, I'm considering going to MH/HPS setup.

My space is about 3' wide x 2' deep by 3' high. What wattage would do the trick? 150W, 250W? Seems like I'm reading that 250W covers a 3ft x 3ft space..sound right?

I've got a good exhaust system planned with 2 120cfm fans with 4" ductwork connected to a home made carbon filter and passive intake. (all on paper so far)

I got the ok from the wife and I'm ready to get going! :yahoo:

I'm growing in my open basement with a 400w HPS right now and am having great results. However I am thinking about building a 4'x8' closet and splitting it for a veg room and a bud room. I plan on budding 2-4 plants at most. A couple friends of mine who are patients as well are using 1000w in a 6.4'x6.4'x6.4' tent and having heat issues and other things.

Alright so after I priced out the T5 fluorescents, I'm considering going to MH/HPS setup.

My space is about 3' wide x 2' deep by 3' high. What wattage would do the trick? 150W, 250W? Seems like I'm reading that 250W covers a 3ft x 3ft space..sound right?

I've got a good exhaust system planned with 2 120cfm fans with 4" ductwork connected to a home made carbon filter and passive intake. (all on paper so far)

I got the ok from the wife and I'm ready to get going! :yahoo:

Id say 150w...250w would be too strong...you gotta figure...your space is 3ft tall and your not going to be able to grow the plant all the way up to the light because of the intensity of the hps, it will get burned....so just to be safe lets say you want to stay 12 inches away from the light so at full maturity the plant is going to be less than 2 ft tall because you have to figure in the height of the pot...so in order to even use a hps in such small of space you would almost have to lst or scrog which isnt recommended for a beginner but you can give it a shot, only you can decide your what your capabilities are

Id say 150w...250w would be too strong...you gotta figure...your space is 3ft tall and your not going to be able to grow the plant all the way up to the light because of the intensity of the hps, it will get burned....so just to be safe lets say you want to stay 12 inches away from the light so at full maturity the plant is going to be less than 2 ft tall because you have to figure in the height of the pot...so in order to even use a hps in such small of space you would almost have to lst or scrog which isnt recommended for a beginner but you can give it a shot, only you can decide your what your capabilities are

I was thinking that 150w would probably be the way to go. LST'ing was the direction I was going. 2 plants and spread them out across the entire width of the box...just about 3' feet.

So do you think I'd be better served to go with the T5 idea?? It seems an expensive way to go and even if I carpet the interior of the box with lights, the lumen output will be at 40,000..

The T5 setup I'm looking at is just over $500 but I don't know if I'd rather go with a 150W setup for the quality of the product at a third of the price..even though I may end up growing less.

:rolleyes3

id say t5s, hps in that small of area has "heat issues" written all over it
unless you have a kickass ventilation system

ive never used air cooled hps, im old school, im set in my ways but id have to say it would be significantly cooler...so yes you could do it....i bit more expensive though but it can be done

ive never used air cooled hps, im old school, im set in my ways but id have to say it would be significantly cooler...so yes you could do it....i bit more expensive though but it can be done

What I've been reading is that if I have a glass lens on an air cooled reflector, I could substantially reduce the heat issue in the box.

I've got an exhaust system already planned out and could easily duct it out through the exhaust..your thoughts??

:peace:

GO FOR IT !!!! :THUMB:

it could only benefit your plants so if you have the money and willing to try it, by all means GO FOR IT

oops :thumb:

GO FOR IT !!!! :THUMB:

it could only benefit your plants so if you have the money and willing to try it, by all means GO FOR IT

Ok...so tell me what you think of this setup:

3' wide x 2' deep x 4' high

one 8 bulb T5 fixture for vegging...no cooling needed with T5

one 250W, air cooled and ventilated HPS or MH for flowering (I'm not that familiar with which bulb I'll need but I'll find out)

Ventilation will be two 120cfm fans that connect to the HPS/MH light and to an inline, home made carbon filter venting out of the backside of the box. Passive intake at the bottom of the box.

With the above system, does anyone think I'll have heat issues? Should I go with 150W or 175W?

With the above system, will I need the T5 fixture at all or will the HPS/MH do fine?

:peace:

gdog, 2 400w in that space...seems a bit much but hey if you had good luck with it, more power to ya...giants you could go with what gdog said....there is no right and wrong...all im saying is 250w will be plenty enough to receive a great yield...with the 2 400w expect to see more rapid growth so you may run into clearance issues but use your own intuition to fgure out whats best for you

as for the bulb, hps is where you want to be with flowering...its spectrum is more of the reddish orange spectrum which is what the plant uses for bud production

when you make the switch to hps expect some stretching...a MH would be good for the first 2 weeks of flower because it will keep the stretching down....MH will keep the nodes closer together but once the stretch is over change to hps for some fat buds....MH is more in the blue/green spectrum which is ideal for vegging

My comment was in regard to the original poster about a 4 x 8 foot space and in regard to the use of HIDs. I have been using CFLs now for a couple years and will never go back to the high heat and high power bills of growing with HIDs personally.

Back
Top Bottom