Light orientation according to ppfd charts?

Remystemple

lol. another odd question. but when looking at the ppfd or umol charts, what assumed orientation are they made under.

here's the one for one of my lights. I haven't given this any thought until now and comparing these charts trying to make a decision on new lights. the lights have 2 switches, are they assuming that the switch would be at the bottom side of the chart?

when using multiple lights knowing how to situate them could be helpful in getting the most out of the overlap. as you can see it's far from uniform or even at all.

71f9c+gR3RL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

here's an even more interesting one. quite evenly spread at 32" i guess this is the big pull of qb's.
I do not believe you can assume, set up and test is the only way to know for sure.

darn, those testers are expensive

I often see QB's mounted in this set up
20191108_222452.jpg

and have often wondered if something like this would give a more even coverage.
20191108_222518.jpg

Wish I was better at computer stuff so I could manipulate the ppf charts of different lights to work out what the coverage would look like.

I often see QB's mounted in this set up
20191108_222452.jpg

and have often wondered if something like this would give a more even coverage.
20191108_222518.jpg

Wish I was better at computer stuff so I could manipulate the ppf charts of different lights to work out what the coverage would look like.

i feel like the second one would be best as well. i was thinking something with a round footprint might be better suited in the corners at one point when i noticed my cob led's were like that.

You can get a Lux Meter and just convert to PPFD using this calculator.

A decent Lumen/Lux meter is only about $30

If you want the most even coverage you need to look at strip lights.

You can get a Lux Meter and just convert to PPFD using this calculator.

A decent Lumen/Lux meter is only about $30

If you want the most even coverage you need to look at strip lights.

thanks for the link. i'll be using that for sure. probably with my phone app tho lol.

i might look into the strips rather than boards. i have lots of light right now, i'm just hoping to trim off a few degrees and lessen the electric bill a tiny bit. also,, new toys.

gonna take the next few weeks to a month to make a call on what to get. hoping for some big sales in the states or canada so i don't have to order from china. black friday coming fast.

I like the strip light even coverage as well, but seeing as I am not good at assembly or electricity related items(other then plugging them in) I would prefer to buy something assembled and Fluence Spyder lights are just way to expensive for me, even the Chinese imitations/interpretations are more then BudgetLED which have good coverage but not quite the even as strip lighting. Therefore I would prefer to buy another ts3000 or a BudgetLED light. But hoping the post I made earlier would result in a more even coverage.

The reason the boards are as shown in the first picture is because it gives the most spread ppfd in a 4 x 4 space.

I believe in testing with the second design, the four corners saw a drop in coverage.

Thanks for the response, wish I could see the numbers on the second one. I agree there would be a small drop off in the corners. So your company did measure different configurations?

Yes we did. We also tested different size boards. It was a push pull game. You gain here and lose there.

Yes we did. We also tested different size boards. It was a push pull game. You gain here and lose there.

i've read you tell others that you can customize some parts of the boards. I'll be looking at 2 x 480w set ups, but would really like to be able to split the fixtures in two parts for a bit more control of the set up.

@BudgetLED also wondering if your series 3 with the h spec diodes is gonna get some red added?

Thanks for the response, wish I could see the numbers on the second one. I agree there would be a small drop off in the corners. So your company did measure different configurations?

@BudgetLED also wondering if your series 3 with the h spec diodes is gonna get some red added?

project Series 3 Red Spec is in build now ... yes it will and Possibly another improvement over the Series 2 Red Spec. Should be ready to go around December 1st ish.

i've read you tell others that you can customize some parts of the boards. I'll be looking at 2 x 480w set ups, but would really like to be able to split the fixtures in two parts for a bit more control of the set up.

By spliting the fixture, do you mean run 2 of the boards separately versus the other two? It can be done with two smaller drivers on the kits. Would boost the cost slightly but not anything major.

The other option is the 250w kits. However, you have more to manage then.

labexperiment said:

Any chance you have the ppfd results from that configuration saved somewhere?

By spliting the fixture, do you mean run 2 of the boards separately versus the other two? It can be done with two smaller drivers on the kits. Would boost the cost slightly but not anything major.

The other option is the 250w kits. However, you have more to manage then.

i saw a few frames that had sliding rails. so you could push them together or spread them out more, but i was actually thinking that 3 x 240w series 3 is probably gonna be a good enough start for me. i really only use about 6' of the 8' of tent anyway.

Back
Top Bottom