Led lighting and use planning

BigBudsBunny

I have converted a bathroom that is never used to my veg room as it has electricity and water and is unused. The breaker is a 20 amp breaker and I ai, to never exceed more than 55% of the amps available. The veg area sits on top of 48"x72" plywood which covers the top of the tub. The tub/veg area is 66" high x 54" deep by 72" long. I utilize a small space to hold clone cuttings, start seed, and veg in this area (maybe 30" x 30" max). The usable space in this area for this purpose is 48"x48" with about an 8" gap between the walls and the usable area on 2 sides (left and back) with a couple feet of non-usable area set off to the right and the front is naturally open for access. I have placed panda film on the left annd back walls for it's reflective qualities. The walls are cedar so moisture isn't an issue. This has worked out well even tho I have a gorilla 3'x3' tent that I never use and purchased for this purpose. I use the veg room because it is larger, open, has a window, and allows for heat disipitation better than a small closed in spave as I can leave the window/door open except when lights go out on the flower tent as it sits in a spare bedroom with that bathroom so the door needs to be closed at that point daily. Lights on start at the same time for both areas. Seems to work out well for starting seeds/cuttings and vegging before hitting the flower tentin the next room. I typically use a 125w cfl for rooting cuttings, seedlings, and beginning veg - sometimes more veg than i like if lazy. I thenn switch to a 400w MH as the plants gets larger. When doing this if I have cuttings or sprouts at the same time, I just use frosted glass to keep them fried or just keep the seedlings, small veg plants further away from the light until they are bigger.

My question is this - Would I be able to accomplish the same goals using a led light - BUT - I also wanted to try a couple of auto-flowers at the same time! By this I mean would I be able to take cuttings, have seedlings, have vegging plants, and have auto-flowers all going at the same time either by controlling the dimming of the light or by height adjustment of the height?

i.e. auto-flower plant flowering at say 30" tall, plants vegging at 4'-16" and some seedlings that just popped or some cuttings that were taken.

LED's are new to me so trying to come up with a plan that will include trying some auto-flowers. The light is a mars hydro 485w "fc 4800 evo" from which I have read is pretty powerful for that space and am just trying to plan how I can work this out. If I can't accomplish this with the auto-flowers, I guess I just got an expensive more efficient light for the vegging process that will be underutilized.

anybody?

"Would I be able to accomplish the same goals using a led light"

Yes.

Growth of cannabis is driven by mols of light hitting the plant over the course of its life. The color of the spectrum from the lights influences/controls the plant shape and structure. The number of photons (PPFD/DLI), generally speaking, drives growth.

A CFL is blue heavy so that will influence plants to be short and compact, with lots of lateral branching.

A metal halide light - which spectrum? If it's blue heavy, see above. If it's red heavy, you'll get a taller plant that's not as bushy.

The best way to get max growth is get as much light on your plants as they can tolerate. You can use a light meter or a PAR meter to get the light output to a ballpark figure but, after that, the plants will tell you how much light they can use.

I have converted a bathroom that is never used to my veg room as it has electricity and water and is unused. The breaker is a 20 amp breaker and I ai, to never exceed more than 55% of the amps available. The veg area sits on top of 48"x72" plywood which covers the top of the tub. The tub/veg area is 66" high x 54" deep by 72" long. I utilize a small space to hold clone cuttings, start seed, and veg in this area (maybe 30" x 30" max). The usable space in this area for this purpose is 48"x48" with about an 8" gap between the walls and the usable area on 2 sides (left and back) with a couple feet of non-usable area set off to the right and the front is naturally open for access. I have placed panda film on the left annd back walls for it's reflective qualities. The walls are cedar so moisture isn't an issue. This has worked out well even tho I have a gorilla 3'x3' tent that I never use and purchased for this purpose. I use the veg room because it is larger, open, has a window, and allows for heat disipitation better than a small closed in spave as I can leave the window/door open except when lights go out on the flower tent as it sits in a spare bedroom with that bathroom so the door needs to be closed at that point daily. Lights on start at the same time for both areas. Seems to work out well for starting seeds/cuttings and vegging before hitting the flower tentin the next room. I typically use a 125w cfl for rooting cuttings, seedlings, and beginning veg - sometimes more veg than i like if lazy. I thenn switch to a 400w MH as the plants gets larger. When doing this if I have cuttings or sprouts at the same time, I just use frosted glass to keep them fried or just keep the seedlings, small veg plants further away from the light until they are bigger.

My question is this - Would I be able to accomplish the same goals using a led light - BUT - I also wanted to try a couple of auto-flowers at the same time! By this I mean would I be able to take cuttings, have seedlings, have vegging plants, and have auto-flowers all going at the same time either by controlling the dimming of the light or by height adjustment of the height?

i.e. auto-flower plant flowering at say 30" tall, plants vegging at 4'-16" and some seedlings that just popped or some cuttings that were taken.

LED's are new to me so trying to come up with a plan that will include trying some auto-flowers. The light is a mars hydro 485w "fc 4800 evo" from which I have read is pretty powerful for that space and am just trying to plan how I can work this out. If I can't accomplish this with the auto-flowers, I guess I just got an expensive more efficient light for the vegging process that will be underutilized.

anybody?
20240110_202500.jpg

Great minds think alike. I really only use it for clones when my two 4x2 tents have no vacancy. I also use it as a drying room too.

Darn, just installed the mars hydro fc 4800 evo with the 301h led's - I think I'm blind! Holy smokes is that thing bright. Mars hydro told me it was a 24x24 light but its actually a 32 x 32 and basically is wall to wall in the 3x3 tent. I think their documentation is wrong for those looking to get 1 of these lights.

Back
Top Bottom