Last minute questions

BrokrnEyes

I'm about to start my first grow, still waiting on the main lights to arrive but the aero gardens lights should provide enough for germination and the first few days until I can hang the big boys) but in the mean time I have a few questions.

1. Smell - I know this starts at flower but id like to know if it will be an issue for me with the following info. 1 auto flowering white widow growing in an aero garden contained in a chloroplast cabinet" inside of a closet in a currently unoccupied room. Considering the plant itself effectively has 3 "rooms" containing it will smell control be much of an issue outside of an Oder eater in the unoccupied room?

2. Ventilation- the chloroplast cabinets dimensions are sox 24x36x36 (note it has been built to be modular and can expand upwards if needed and is NOT sealed, the interior is lined with mylar. HOWEVER as already stated, the grow Cabinate itself is in a closet and oil linearly tests showed that the Aero Gardend grow light at full extension was able to increase the temperature in the box from 68 degrees Fahrenheit to 72 degrees within an hour with a fan going (and remained at this temp). The two big boys I'm getting have the following info:

LEDs: 100PCS 3W grow LEDs
Dimension: 310*210*60mm
Coverage Area: about 2.6 x 3.2 Square Feet
LED Power: 300W
Actual Power consumption: energy saving, just consumes about 100W-150W power, much better than the same product in the marketplace
Worldwide Voltage: 85v-265v
Working environment: -20~40℃,45%~95%RH
Working Frequency: 50~60Hz

I plan on testing this of course but with these three light sources my hope is to have the temp nearing 80 in the Cabinate with a fan on.

3. CO2 - I am considering adding Co2 via a simple sugar water + yeast concoction with an air hose taped just behind the fan (so it shots Co2 around the cabinet. I have read however that Co2 I'd generally a waste unless in a sealed system with high light intensity, is this true or would a simple sugar water yeast route help given all the above info?

4. Night time temp- This is the part that concerns me, the dry test showed that with the Aerogarden light and a heating pad, the temp raised to 77 in an hour. Mimicing night time temps for the house, once I turned the light off there was a 2 degree drop every hour. Now I can adjust the vent in the room to assure it doesn't get below 65 degrees at night but will a potential 15 degree swing on a daily basis hurt the plant?

I plan on starting this Sunday and will be starting the journal that day or the next so any info it would be great, thanks!

So many great questions!

Good on you for taking the big step of getting your first garden underway. :high-five:

I think I can answer a few of these:

1) believe it or not, your plants are going to smell in veg to! It's not the same smell but it's certainly noticeable, if you know what you're smelling.
I am currently growing a White Widow auto and I'm noticing that she's not the most potent flower I've ever had. So I don't think you'll have much issue. But if it's something you're concerned about you won't go wrong with a small carbon filter.

2) Ventilation is never a bad idea. However, if you're growing in a closet I'm sure there will be a few air leaks that will assist with air circulation and venting. It's not something I would be too concerned about with your circumstances.

3) if your room isn't sealed, I agree, CO2 isn't worth your time. You'll just be pimping it into the rest of your house. But of course CO2 can add great benefits to your grow if you have the environment properly set up.

4) a 15 degree margin isn't a bad thing. I don't like my plants getting down to 65. Minimum for me is 68. My nutrient solution has specific instructions to keep lights off temps at 70. So that's what I aim for.

I hope these help you out a bit. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

:high-five:

This may be a silly question but what about baking soda? IE box in the fridge to control Odets.

Honestly smell depends on how good you do. A good grow without a carbon filter will stink up a large house. I tried putting my flowers in the crawlspace once to dry and the whole house smelled.

If a baking soda box works you didn't grow it correctly.

It all comes down to the neighbors and distance. There is a guy in my neighborhood whom every time I walk my dog by his house I smell it. The fire Marshall lives 2 houses away and a county sheriff lives 2 blocks away.

I have a buddy who vents in his attic without a filter and he has gotten away with it for over a decade.

Myself I have what I deem as a cheap filter on a cheap fan and have no problems.

It is all up to you and how much you want to risk it. Maybe your neighbors are cool.

My wife is a high school teacher and we live in the school district she teaches in so I gotts ta be cool.

:peace:

LOL LOL LOL:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

sorry..... bringing back memories...

As a teenager we would fill a used paper towel tube with dryer sheets and blow our smoke out that out the window and the smell would not be to bad and we could smoke in the house with the parents home.

AHHHHH to be a teenager again and have no responsibilities and be able to skateboard all the time and get high. Why do we have to get old?

LOL LOL LOL:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

sorry..... bringing back memories...

As a teenager we would fill a used paper towel tube with dryer sheets and blow our smoke out that out the window and the smell would not be to bad and we could smoke in the house with the parents home.

AHHHHH to be a teenager again and have no responsibilities and be able to skateboard all the time and get high. Why do we have to get old?

It's a conspiracy to steal human youth and transplant it into gerbils.

@everyone
Okay so baking soda is out of the question, can a simple computer fan with a carbon filter sheet in front of it do the trick (and pair it with Oder eaters in the room; not in the cabinet or closet? I get its a case by case thing? I'm stretching my budget again and at the very least need a stop gap until I can get a proper vent on there.

The bounce sheet idea will work. But I've made carbon filters out of computer fans and the fans aren't powerful enough to get a decent cover up.

I think you're on the right track! Preparation is key and it sounds like you're doing everything you can!

Keep it up!

On this sight is a real good DIY carbon filter thread that I almost tried...but I got lazy and went with a Phresh. In the DIY section there are lots of good examples of making decent filters. Just go to the grow room link and at that top level is an entire forum on DIY for everything.

Do It Yourself

I'm thinking this fan with a carbon filter:

AC Infinity AXIAL 1238, Muffin Cooling Fan, 115V AC 120mm by 120mm by 38mm High Speed

About this item
Features
Designed for custom projects that requires or as a replacement fan in various machinery.
Includes a heavy-duty aluminum fan with power plug cord, two fan guards, and mounting screw set.
Dual-ball bearings have a lifespan of 67,000 hours and allows the fans to be laid flat or stand upright.
High Speed: This model is designed to maximize airflow and can be too loud for some applications.
Dimensions: 120 x 120 x 38 mm | Airflow: 110 CFM | Noise: 47 dBA | Bearings: Dual Ball
Product Information
Part Number 1238AXCF115VAC120mm
Item Weight 1.2 pounds
Product Dimensions 4.7 x 4.7 x 1.5 inches
Origin Mexico
Item model number HS1238A-X
Color silver
Material Metal
Power Source Corded-Electric
Item Package Quantity 1
Air Flow Capacity 110 CFM
Plug Format US Standard 2-Prong
Usage personal
Batteries Included? No
Batteries Required? No
Warranty Description 1 year warranty covers all defects
Additional Information
ASIN: B009OWRMZ6
Customer Reviews: 4.4 out of 5 stars 268Reviews
Best Sellers Rank: 1866
Shipping Weight: 1.2 pounds
Domestic Shipping : This item is also available for shipping to select countries outside the U.S. International Shipping : This item can be shipped to select countries outside of the U.S. Learn More
Date First Available: May 2, 2011
Manual [PDF ]

Granted it's only 4 inches in diameter for the fan but considering the grow area size would that be much of an issue? I just need to find a carbon filter that fits or that I can cut to fit, any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom