Is my Marshmallow OG hungry?

SwitzerGrows

420 Member
This is my first outdoor grow in Michigan. I have a Marshmallow OG, and an Ice Cream Cake that are getting absolutely massive. I'm giving both plants one gallon of regular pH(ed) water at 6.3 and then a gallon of pH(ed) water at 6.3 with a full dose of Fox Farms Grow Big (15ml per gal), and a full dose of the Fox Farm Big Bloom (60ml per gallon). I can't tell if they are hungry for more and I should be giving them 2 full gallons with ferts in them each or if the light green is just the new growth because they are stretching. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks and happy growing.
1000007235.jpg

Hey SG,

Your leaf color looks really good right now, totally on point and yes new growth does come in with a bit lighter shade of green, so no worries there. Plant hunger is usually expressed by overall light shade of green as in the plant leans more to the color yellow or a faded out green if you will. Then on the flip side of things if foliage is really dark green then it’s indicating too much N.

Hmm, only other concern is the FF is a trio, it’s a 3 bottle system designed to work in harmony. You mentioned the first 2 Grow Big & Big Bloom but sounds like you haven’t added Tiger Bloom just yet. Follow the FF feed chart for soil… to match the correct stage of growth

right now your fan leaf tips are looking good, when you reach the edge of too much nutes those leaves will show slight tip burn, so that’s how you can gauge the plants response to the nutes….and from there you can either pull back a touch or move up if needed.

Excellent job!!!

Hey SG,

Your leaf color looks really good right now, totally on point and yes new growth does come in with a bit lighter shade of green, so no worries there. Plant hunger is usually expressed by overall light shade of green as in the plant leans more to the color yellow or a faded out green if you will. Then on the flip side of things if foliage is really dark green then it’s indicating too much N.

Hmm, only other concern is the FF is a trio, it’s a 3 bottle system designed to work in harmony. You mentioned the first 2 Grow Big & Big Bloom but sounds like you haven’t added Tiger Bloom just yet. Follow the FF feed chart for soil… to match the correct stage of growth

right now your fan leaf tips are looking good, when you reach the edge of too much nutes those leaves will show slight tip burn, so that’s how you can gauge the plants response to the nutes….and from there you can either pull back a touch or move up if needed.

Excellent job!!!
Yea the FF feeding chart is based off of a 12 week grow cycle, and when growing outdoors the veg cycle is way longer then that. These are clones that were cut around the beginning of April in guessing. So I'm not quite sure when to start giving them the tiger Bloom. As of right now I'm giving them the Big Bloom, Grow Big, everyother week I give them cal/mag and once a month I give them Great White Microbes and Blackstrap. I figured I should wait until I see preflowers before I start adding the Tiger Bloom. Do you think otherwise?

I ran a little bit of FF few years back but not my strong suit. It’s probably safe for now but here’s the other part, it’s not showing deficiency at this moment but it’s typically easier to stay ahead now rather than trying to catch up later.

FF is pretty popular so let’s see what other advice comes in on the Tiger Bloom use.

Nice looking color on those great plants. You should have a good harvest by the end of October if all goes well and the weather permits.

The Fox Farm trio is a great fertilizer program so follow the schedule and the way the plants react. The number one problem I see with the basic trio is when the growers either figure that the fertilizer is no longer needed or they start to second guess the schedule and sometimes themselves.

I do not use the Fox Farms fertilizers for my marijuana plants as it is not my 'cup of tea' or strong suit as @013 says. But it is part of my gardening program for annual and perennial colorful flowering yard plants either in the ground or in pots. Plus I still call Fox Farms and hash out a few ideas regarding some of their products.

So I'm not quite sure when to start giving them the tiger Bloom. As of right now I'm giving them the Big Bloom, Grow Big, everyother week I give them cal/mag and once a month I give them Great White Microbes and Blackstrap.
Yes, using the Tiger Bloom kicks in at the start of flowering. When following the published schedule most indoor growers would start the Tiger when they switch the light schedule to 12/12 if growing photo-period plants. When growing outside the flowering schedule is based on the slow change as the nights get longer.

My experience with photo-period plants, mostly cloned like yours (not that it makes much difference), is that the flowering starts in the first half of August here in the southeast corner of the great state of Michigan. The earliest I have seen in my backyard was the 3rd of August and the latest was around the 12th so it seems to depend on the strain. Your starting date can be a bit different because of how far north or south the garden is. Further north the sooner but it is only by a few days.

This is my way using the current brand of fertilizers and it might not be something you want to try without a bit more experience in 'reading the plant'. I will start to switch over to the flowering fertilizer schedule two or three weeks ahead of time. I will keep using the vegetating fertilizer but I will cut the amount by 20 to 25% and start substituting the flowering fertilizers. Once flowering starts the dosage starts to change the other direction and the amounts of vegetating fertilizer keeps dropping and the flowering blend increases. By the 5th week after the start of flowering I am pretty much at 100% flower fertilizer with the occasional small Nitrogen dose as a bonus.

I figured I should wait until I see preflowers before I start adding the Tiger Bloom.
It is very possible that some "pre-flowers" will start to show up at any time. But they are not the actual start of flowers and is just a female plant growing one stigma/pistil at each new node. In a week or two that one stigma/pistil will brown up and wither away. What you will be looking for is when the plant starts showing 3-4 or more pistils in clump at each node, usually starting near the top of the plant canopy.

Protentionally, she might want some nitrogen sometimes soon but now I'd say don't give her more than she gets now, overfeeding is not a good thing.
If you are talking about my message I did say it would be an experiment and I did not recommend that he try it now. I started experimenting with the method as a way to eliminate the plants developing those yellowing leaves about 2 to 3 weeks after flowering starts.

Nice looking color on those great plants. You should have a good harvest by the end of October if all goes well and the weather permits.

The Fox Farm trio is a great fertilizer program so follow the schedule and the way the plants react. The number one problem I see with the basic trio is when the growers either figure that the fertilizer is no longer needed or they start to second guess the schedule and sometimes themselves.

I do not use the Fox Farms fertilizers for my marijuana plants as it is not my 'cup of tea' or strong suit as @013 says. But it is part of my gardening program for annual and perennial colorful flowering yard plants either in the ground or in pots. Plus I still call Fox Farms and hash out a few ideas regarding some of their products.

Yes, using the Tiger Bloom kicks in at the start of flowering. When following the published schedule most indoor growers would start the Tiger when they switch the light schedule to 12/12 if growing photo-period plants. When growing outside the flowering schedule is based on the slow change as the nights get longer.

My experience with photo-period plants, mostly cloned like yours (not that it makes much difference), is that the flowering starts in the first half of August here in the southeast corner of the great state of Michigan. The earliest I have seen in my backyard was the 3rd of August and the latest was around the 12th so it seems to depend on the strain. Your starting date can be a bit different because of how far north or south the garden is. Further north the sooner but it is only by a few days.

This is my way using the current brand of fertilizers and it might not be something you want to try without a bit more experience in 'reading the plant'. I will start to switch over to the flowering fertilizer schedule two or three weeks ahead of time. I will keep using the vegetating fertilizer but I will cut the amount by 20 to 25% and start substituting the flowering fertilizers. Once flowering starts the dosage starts to change the other direction and the amounts of vegetating fertilizer keeps dropping and the flowering blend increases. By the 5th week after the start of flowering I am pretty much at 100% flower fertilizer with the occasional small Nitrogen dose as a bonus.

It is very possible that some "pre-flowers" will start to show up at any time. But they are not the actual start of flowers and is just a female plant growing one stigma/pistil at each new node. In a week or two that one stigma/pistil will brown up and wither away. What you will be looking for is when the plant starts showing 3-4 or more pistils in clump at each node, usually starting near the top of the plant canopy.
Thanks for all the information. Next year I'm going to switch nutrients to a different brand I think. Fox Farm is too expensive when there is other options for cheaper. I wad giving my plants 20 mils of Grow Big, 5 mils of cal/mag, and 30 mils of Big Bloom in 2 gallons of water every 2 or 3 days. So I today started giving them 15 mils of Grow Big and 5 mils of Tiger Bloom, along with the other ones. I'll start switching slowing to tiger Bloom 5 mils a week. That should land me right in the 1st week of August. I'm thinking I'm going to have to put some fencing up around them to hold them up, luckily I just put a fence up last year and I have some laying around. I've been pretty lucky with my plants this year for this being my first grow season ever. You guys have all been a huge help. What do you recommend for a fungicide for the plants to prevent bud rot if the humidity is extremely high this fall? I use neem oil right now but I don't think that stops bud rot. I think it only prevents powdery mildew and bugs.

Not bad for my very first season growing EVER.

Top picture to the left - Marshmallow OG
Top picture to the right - Ice Cream Cake

1000007249.jpg

Second picture - unknown strain. Seed from dispensary flower. ( in a 100 dollar grow tent, mylar blankets, humidifier, and a light.) Will be taking it outside to flower with my other plants once I'm sure it's a female.
1000007246.jpg

Third picture - clones cut from the Marshmallow Og
(first time cloning ever, used clonex, coco coir, perlite, great white microbes. Presoaked the coco coir in light dose of cal mag, big bloom and a few drops of grow big. 50% success with 3 out of 6.)
1000007247.jpg

1000007248.jpg

Next year I'm going to switch nutrients to a different brand I think. Fox Farm is too expensive when there is other options for cheaper.
Not all fertilizers are going to be the same. Some of the other options you have looked at could be cheaper because they are just not as good. Or because it is made with different materials. The Fox Farms that you are using is doing the job most growers want to see so it is worth the cost.

I wad giving my plants 20 mils of Grow Big, 5 mils of cal/mag, and 30 mils of Big Bloom in 2 gallons of water every 2 or 3 days. So I today started giving them 15 mils of Grow Big and 5 mils of Tiger Bloom, along with the other ones. I'll start switching slowing to tiger Bloom 5 mils a week. That should land me right in the 1st week of August.
Follow the schedule at least one time if for not other reason than to see what happens. Plus it will help give a base line to compare against if or when you do switch brands of fertilizer.

I
Follow the schedule at least one time if for not other reason than to see what happens. Plus it will help give a base line to compare against if or when you do switch brands of fertilizer.
I hear ya. It's hard for me to judge how much to give them of which ones when the schedule they give is based off of a 12 week indoor grow cycle. These outdoor clones have a 12 week veg cycle alone. The soil I got is premium soil from my local hydroponics store. So I ha e been going kinda light on the feedings because they have 17 gallons of good soil. They seem to be happy at the moment.
I do have a question tho.
When it comes time for them to flower her in a month or so, what is good to use on them to prevent bud rot from the high humidity outside? Any suggestions? I'm using neem oil and dish soap on them right now during veg but that won't help the bud rot or mold in humid fall months where I live. As far as I understand that's only good for powdery mildew and bugs.

normally i'll feed everything the schedule calls for each and every feed. if i'm starting in a nuted soil i either run water alone til they look hungry or begin with a weak nute solution lower than the schedule calls for on a neutral media. ramping up from there with a read on the plants and the amount of time.

if you are using a soil that is mated to a nute line you can follow their schedule with relative confidence and not worry. the nute lines normally prepare a schedule for that scenario.

if you are starting clones they can be fed at early veg levels from the beginning and ramp from there.

this advice above.

at present you're looking fantastic, the soil is probably carrying most of it. watch for hunger going forward.

I hear ya. It's hard for me to judge how much to give them of which ones when the schedule they give is based off of a 12 week indoor grow cycle.
Until the plant goes into flower then use the dose shown in the published schedule for the last week of the vegetating stage which I think is week 4. In theory, you or any other grower could continue that for week after week, month after month, until they are ready to start the flowering stage for their photo-period plant.

The same sort of thing applies toward the end of flowering which I believe they show as another 8 weeks or 12 total. If the grower wants to go longer than the 8 weeks listed while waiting for more cloudy or more amber trichomes then they can just repeat week 8 until it is time to harvest.

Clones easy too!
Good luck on your grow, Cheers
1000007267.jpg

Yea I took 6 clones off of it and got 3 to take root. It's my first time ever cloning and I had to make my own humidity box so it was a learning curve. Those buds of yours look AMAZING. Can't wait to start seeing the flowers pop out.

Back
Top Bottom