Is more wattage better in a small space?

OG Sinse

Hello all,

I have a grow cabinet with a small space 1.5 x 1.5 x 4 feet. I am currently using a Spider Farmer SF-1000 (around 100 watts) that works very well, but I could squeeze a SF-2000 (200 watts) into my cabinet. My question is, would this be an upgrade? Is more light needed in such a small space?

I am five grows in with my SF-1000 and I really love it, but my bud density is a little bit lacking. My buds are big and beautiful, but much lighter for their size compared to dispensary buds. I grow in a manifold style, with 8-16 Colas in a circle using the outer edge of my SF-1000. In other words, I am not getting the strong light into the outer edge of my plants.

NL.JPG

Not necessarily, 100w should be ample, even at the sides
200w and you may run into problems with temp/humidity/burn

Welcome to 420

Not necessarily, 100w should be ample, even at the sides
200w and you may run into problems with temp/humidity/burn

Welcome to 420

Thanks, I had a feeling this was the case. I can already burn my plants with 100 watts hung too low, 200 watts might be worse. Heat would be a good thing though, my grow room is chilly year round and the SF-1000 runs very cool. I would actually benefit from a little more heat.

I guess its the marketing that gets me. grams per meter etc... They make it seem that I would produce a lot more bud with more light. If the plant is getting the light it needs from 100 watts, 200 may just be a waist of energy.

I guess its the marketing that gets me. grams per meter etc... They make it seem that I would produce a lot more bud with more light. If the plant is getting the light it needs from 100 watts, 200 may just be a waist of energy.

Just ignore their numbers as those are as you say more marketing crap than reality. Also can't compare your buds to buds at a Dispensary, as even if the same exact Strain could be a number of different pheno's of it, so can be an apples to oranges kind of thing. There are ways to make them tighter/denser, but some of them can be questionable to ones health, as rules different from State to State so some may not allow certain things/chemicals than others. I mean unless you are selling it who cares what it looks like as the effect is what is important, as we back to marketing gimmicks again ;) :rofl: . Different Strains and different pheno's of same strain can have different plant/flower structures or the way it grows, more often it is quality of your genetics (how well it was worked by breeder) and quality of your lights, sometimes can be operator errors but it's not as common.
:peace::passitleft:

Just ignore their numbers as those are as you say more marketing crap than reality. Also can't compare your buds to buds at a Dispensary, as even if the same exact Strain could be a number of different pheno's of it, so can be an apples to oranges kind of thing. There are ways to make them tighter/denser, but some of them can be questionable to ones health, as rules different from State to State so some may not allow certain things/chemicals than others. I mean unless you are selling it who cares what it looks like as the effect is what is important, as we back to marketing gimmicks again ;) :rofl: . Different Strains and different pheno's of same strain can have different plant/flower structures or the way it grows, more often it is quality of your genetics (how well it was worked by breeder) and quality of your lights, sometimes can be operator errors but it's not as common.
:peace::passitleft:

Funny how you get so many different opinions from folks on these forums. I showed my setup on another forum and a few members advised me to get more wattage. They said with 100 watts, I could only go so far, even in a small space like mine. I didnt agree, but it did make me wonder.

Different Strains and different pheno's of same strain can have different plant/flower structures or the way it grows, more often it is quality of your genetics (how well it was worked by breeder) and quality of your lights, sometimes can be operator errors but it's not as common.

I've considered trying to grow a strain known for high bud density, many of the seedbanks mention strain genetics having different bud density traits, so I'm with you here. I think you hit the nail on the head. It is also very possible that my skill level has a lot to do with it... Off topic, but I actually like the fluffy buds (as pictured above). They burn great and have less chance of getting mold while drying.

My plants might benefit from a little more wattage considering my circle of colas rides on the outside border of the light, but I'm going to keep going with the SF-1000. I can always lower the light if needed.

Enough light is enough I think (if that makes sense) .... Why would I need more light if I have enough? Also, I have a feeling my vertical limits might be a problem with a more powerful light, I'd need to hang it higher to prevent burns.

Thanks all, I love the SF-1000 so much I may even buy another with the EVO LED's.. They are very affordable.

Im a little late to the party. But your getting some great information! Ive had similar issues over the years. But ive come to the conclusion.

all lights are not created equal

Good genetics do exist - Check out our Sponsors

Quality soil composition means more than most think.

PH Matters.

and there is no replacement for displacement. Id rather have a higher wattage light, space permitting. Operating at 25-50% producing better light, that penetrates deeper, has a bigger footprint, and pulls less energy. Just my .02 cents.

Im a little late to the party. But your getting some great information! Ive had similar issues over the years. But ive come to the conclusion.

Good genetics do exist - Check out our Sponsors

Quality soil composition means more than most think.

PH Matters.

and there is no replacement for displacement. Id rather have a higher wattage light, space permitting. Operating at 25-50% producing better light, that penetrates deeper, has a bigger footprint, and pulls less energy. Just my .02 cents.
no replacement for displacement

I love fast cars and powerful trucks and have heard this argument from many gear heads as well.... (no replacement for displacement.). Nice ! I will say my F150 (6 cylinder twin turbo) will slap a V8 around every time but that's another story.

My SF1000 has been running for 4 years now, I'm sure it has more life but I'm shopping for another light now. Would you say Spider-farmer makes good lights? Maybe I can try something like HLG or maybe bump up to more power. I'm torn now, especially after you mention turning the lights down.

Technology changes so fast, I started out in a cabinet grow space with the old blurple lights 8 years ago in 2016, my space expanded and so did my lights as I went. Small space grows are fun and nice to have your own smoke that you know what was used in making it far as chemicals go, even if it costs more than Dispensary stuff. 4-5 years on the cheaper lights seems to be about their peak, and then they slowly start burning out one diode at a time or whole row at a time, just have to keep an eye on them. Most folks want quantity, personally I'm more quality over quantity and once you get quality down pact then you can worry about yields and bud structures and expensive lights and genetics and all that rot ;) :rofl: :passitleft::peace:

Technology changes so fast, I started out in a cabinet grow space with the old blurple lights 8 years ago in 2016, my space expanded and so did my lights as I went. Small space grows are fun and nice to have your own smoke that you know what was used in making it far as chemicals go, even if it costs more than Dispensary stuff. 4-5 years on the cheaper lights seems to be about their peak, and then they slowly start burning out one diode at a time or whole row at a time, just have to keep an eye on them. Most folks want quantity, personally I'm more quality over quantity and once you get quality down pact then you can worry about yields and bud structures and expensive lights and genetics and all that rot ;) :rofl: :passitleft::peace:

I'm all about getting the best quality I can, in fact I toss all the lower buds away and only smoke the top of the tops. I'm with you! Strangely as I've gotten older, I do not like getting too high, so an ounce or two of my tops lasts a long time. (and I smoke daily). In short, my small space is giving me more buds than I can smoke.

I cure for around 3 months before smoking and can't keep up. My last harvest still has two mason jars full of tops now, 8 months into cure. I also have buds left from other harvests that are 1-2 years old. I just like to see how easy it is to blow the doors off my dispensaries. Not hard to do at all. Not to brag, but the bud pic above is like a work of art to see and smell if you ask me. None of the buds I buy look as fresh or smell as good. I buy buds from my dispenseries to try different strains then I grow the same strain THE RIGHT WAY... With a lot of love. Dispensaries are selling garbage where I live....It's a lot of fun to outdo them.

Yep, I know my light has some age to it... Maybe I'll keep the old SF-1000 to start veg and use my new light for Flower...

I would say it does pay off to choose the maximum of the required wattage for your surface area and even in that case overpower it a bit so you don't have to run it at full power, It would be more efficient getting the same ppfd numbers at less power, it also gives you a larger range of positioning to play with with the light you can radiate from a bit further with a bit more power used but getting a nice full and even spread over the surface area, whilst one that is just enough for your tent probably has cold sides or corners and engages the tent walls less, over powering makes the whole system a bit more efficient without using the extra power.

Oh and physical dimensions of a fixture are also important how it interacts with the tent and the canopy.

I'm all about getting the best quality I can, in fact I toss all the lower buds away and only smoke the top of the tops. I'm with you! Strangely as I've gotten older, I do not like getting too high, so an ounce or two of my tops lasts a long time. (and I smoke daily). In short, my small space is giving me more buds than I can smoke.

I cure for around 3 months before smoking and can't keep up. My last harvest still has two mason jars full of tops now, 8 months into cure. I also have buds left from other harvests that are 1-2 years old. I just like to see how easy it is to blow the doors off my dispensaries. Not hard to do at all. Not to brag, but the bud pic above is like a work of art to see and smell if you ask me. None of the buds I buy look as fresh or smell as good. I buy buds from my dispenseries to try different strains then I grow the same strain THE RIGHT WAY... With a lot of love. Dispensaries are selling garbage where I live....It's a lot of fun to outdo them.

Yep, I know my light has some age to it... Maybe I'll keep the old SF-1000 to start veg and use my new light for Flower...

The larfy stuff or even that wonked out hermie I had I just gave away as tips, my adopted kids at Dutch Bros liked my tips as was either jays or a package of cookies or donuts :rofl: . Here in Oregon you allowed to give away to anyone of age up to the legal personal carry limit of 2 ounces, never hit that amount albeit maybe a half zip for those that wanted to split on xmas a few times.
:passitleft:

I didn't smoke much back when I was growing, as I was my Wife's 23/7 Caregiver and I did that for almost 9 years. So it was more of a hobby as I was home all the time, but I used it for back pain and to sleep and my wife was ok with that if I smoked out of the house, so out in the shed area where I eventually grew more. Now I smoke a lot as it helps me balance the heavy heavy pain meds bad affects, or at least feign that I have balance for the limited time of day that I'm sorta functional. 🙃 :passitleft:✌️

Go with what works for you and makes you happy, as it totally defeats the purpose of growing in the first place, if you are stressing over every little freaking thing 😉😂 save that for bug invasions and other crap that Life decides need to be thrown your way, for whatever the current Life Lesson you are on :peace:

no replacement for displacement

I love fast cars and powerful trucks and have heard this argument from many gear heads as well.... (no replacement for displacement.). Nice ! I will say my F150 (6 cylinder twin turbo) will slap a V8 around every time but that's another story.

My SF1000 has been running for 4 years now, I'm sure it has more life but I'm shopping for another light now. Would you say Spider-farmer makes good lights? Maybe I can try something like HLG or maybe bump up to more power. I'm torn now, especially after you mention turning the lights down.
Lol cars are another story. I built a twin turbo cavalier in 2001, held its own. Did the same with 99 Kia Sportage on 33's.

Your light is probably coming to its end of life. It's a good time to shop around lots of deals! Especially from our sponsors!
I was comparing your lights par map last night, with the @VIVOSUN vs1000.

You would get a pretty decent increase across the whole light. At the same price point.

There are lots of options out there. All of our sponsors run great sales, and usually have a promo code floating around also!

I would say it does pay off to choose the maximum of the required wattage for your surface area and even in that case overpower it a bit so you don't have to run it at full power, It would be more efficient getting the same ppfd numbers at less power, it also gives you a larger range of positioning to play with with the light you can radiate from a bit further with a bit more power used but getting a nice full and even spread over the surface area, whilst one that is just enough for your tent probably has cold sides or corners and engages the tent walls less, over powering makes the whole system a bit more efficient without using the extra power.

Oh and physical dimensions of a fixture are also important how it interacts with the tent and the canopy.

See what I mean? You get a lot of mixed opinions as there are many different ways to approach this hobby. I listen, take notes, and go from there. So, half the people here seem to think 100 is enough, half think 200 would be better. I'm right back where I started. Bottom line, I think both will work just fine----I can't go wrong.

Maybe it's time to flip a coin... Heads = 100 watts Tails = 200...

Appreciate brainstorming with you all, nobody is right or wrong. Thats the beauty/curse of this hobby.

here ya go for comparison

Screenshot 2024-07-08 192955.jpg

Dammit ! I tried to post this but couldn't get jpegs. incredible that you did it for me. As you can see the outer edges of the SF-2000 have much better light. I grow manifold in a circle that rides right into this territory, this is exactly why I asked the question. It seems that late flower, buds need a lot more light, I'm not sure the SF-1000 can keep up with te SF-2000 in this respect.

Example of my grow style... (note the buds riding the outer edge, not in the middle.)

NL 3 circle of buds.JPG

Lol cars are another story. I built a twin turbo cavalier in 2001, held its own. Did the same with 99 Kia Sportage on 33's.

Your light is probably coming to its end of life. It's a good time to shop around lots of deals! Especially from our sponsors!
I was comparing your lights par map last night, with the @VIVOSUN vs1000.

You would get a pretty decent increase across the whole light. At the same price point.

There are lots of options out there. All of our sponsors run great sales, and usually have a promo code floating around also!

I've considered Vivosun, HLG, Mars Hydro, Ac Afinity etc... I've been pretty pleased with Spiderfarmer though and the SF-2000 Pro is a good size that will barely fit my cabinet (the SF-2000 Pro is square not rectangular).

It's a shame Spiderfarmer isn't one of your sponsors, I get it. They did stop using a meanwell drivers though, so I'm not against trying something else. I think Spiderfarmer messed up dropping meanwell and moving to a proprietary driver. I've read that meanwell is good stuff and reliable.

Note all, I was here as Ancient Green a while back, but lost my password after resetting my email. I'm terrible with passwords. Hope that's OK.

Here is a Durban Poison harvest, not too shabby for 100 watts? I have this grow posted as Ancient Green

Back
Top Bottom