Indoor soil grow tent questions and discussion please

greengreen300

420 Member
So I'll use fox farm soil I'm not too worried there but I can do 6 plants legally in my state. Thinking a 96"x48"x80" High tent in my basement or turn my shed in to a grow room which is bigger than the tent but I'd probably have to insulate and run a heater during winter it's new England so. I'm thinking LED lights. That's my thoughts and here's my question for those of you who have a lot of experience. What's the route with 6 or less plant limit I should go indoors in soil that will give me the most yield so I don't have to grow as often?

Welcome to the group. Your msg is sure to attract some attention and the others will mention their own experiences with good and bad points.

You might want to look at the two sub-forums called Indoor Soil Cultivation and Grow Room Setup for more ideas. Not only ideas but problems that indoor set-ups sometimes have.

Have you been growing already or is Cannabis growing something new for you? Experienced in growing anything else whether house plants, flowers on the porch or vegetables in a garden?

Thinking a 96"x48"x80" High tent in my basement or turn my shed in to a grow room which is bigger than the tent but I'd probably have to insulate and run a heater during winter it's new England...
There are threads over the past several years by people looking at similar ideas. Often they run into more than just insulating a shed for the winter. I have noticed that they often mention having to run air conditioners because of summer heat. And the electrical issue to think about. Plus getting water to the shed.

Basement is probably going to be easier in the long run but plan ahead, way ahead. Measure many times since a tent that size might have to be assembled in place because you will not be able to move it into place even if just a few feet. Locate ceiling lights and electrical outlets. Plan on needing more than just 4 outlets.

960 watts minimum of quality LED lighting for your 4x8 tent
And the 960 watts that Zeefarmer mentions is bare minimum. That comes out to 30 watts per square foot and more is going to be better and a lot more will be a lot better;).

Welcome to 420Magazine my friend :welcome:
Did you get your question figured out?

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Welcome to the group. Your msg is sure to attract some attention and the others will mention their own experiences with good and bad points.

You might want to look at the two sub-forums called Indoor Soil Cultivation and Grow Room Setup for more ideas. Not only ideas but problems that indoor set-ups sometimes have.

Have you been growing already or is Cannabis growing something new for you? Experienced in growing anything else whether house plants, flowers on the porch or vegetables in a garden?

There are threads over the past several years by people looking at similar ideas. Often they run into more than just insulating a shed for the winter. I have noticed that they often mention having to run air conditioners because of summer heat. And the electrical issue to think about. Plus getting water to the shed.

Basement is probably going to be easier in the long run but plan ahead, way ahead. Measure many times since a tent that size might have to be assembled in place because you will not be able to move it into place even if just a few feet. Locate ceiling lights and electrical outlets. Plan on needing more than just 4 outlets.

And the 960 watts that Zeefarmer mentions is bare minimum. That comes out to 30 watts per square foot and more is going to be better and a lot more will be a lot better;).
I've grown outdoor like 10 seasons Guerilla growing in the past.
My basement is 7' high so 6.5' should clear it. I can go wider than 4x8 but with a 6 plant limit do I need to? Also I want to get the right light the first time and be done lol none of that I should have got this one crap you know

I've grown outdoor like 10 seasons Guerilla growing in the past.

indoor is another world entirely

My basement is 7' high so 6.5' should clear it. I can go wider than 4x8 but with a 6 plant limit do I need to? Also I want to get the right light the first time and be done lol none of that I should have got this one crap you know

it's enough height for most plants but your best bet would be to scrog or run another type of training program for maximum yield. it'll add a couple weeks to the grow time.

I'm in a 4X4 tent with a 600 watt light from HLG in my first grow (since early 80's) growing in hydro. I live in a state that has a 6 plant limit per person or 12 plant total limit, but think these 4 plants should provide enough for my needs. As mentioned earlier you will probably want to train your plants out wide instead of letting them grow tall as much as possible to maximize your yield.

Indica strains do not burn as easy as sativa strains. how many watts your operating in your tent also depends on the strain
I have two 4x8 tents in operation, one is 1280 watts and the other is 1500 watts.
And yes 960 watts is based on the rule of thumb of 30 watts per square foot of grow space .
Been making/assembling my own grow lights for over 5 or 6 years,

I rather assemble my lighting then buy pre assembled grow lights.
Build cost is about 0.60 per watt.

1724884656143.png
1724884672309.png

1724884691071.png
1724884716142.png

1724884757472.png

Indica strains do not burn as easy as sativa strains. how many watts your operating in your tent also depends on the strain
I have two 4x8 tents in operation, one is 1280 watts and the other is 1500 watts.
And yes 960 watts is based on the rule of thumb of 30 watts per square foot of grow space .
Been making/assembling my own grow lights for over 5 or 6 years,

I rather assemble my lighting then buy pre assembled grow lights.
Build cost is about 0.60 per watt.

1724884656143.png
1724884672309.png

1724884691071.png
1724884716142.png

1724884757472.png
That's sweet! With a ceiling height of 7' and enough space to go 10'x10' if I needed too, what would you do with a 6 plant limit? Soil grow so what size grow bags or pots too

With a ceiling height of 7' and enough space to go 10'x10' if I needed too,
Consider mounting the lights to the ceiling of the tent. Either to the ceiling tent frame or make something. That way there is no need to be constantly raising and lowering them. The plants themselves can be lowered as they grow taller. Example would be if there are 6 plants and one of them is 6 inches shorter than the other 5. It is hard to adjust one light to match that short plant unless the grower bought a bunch of smaller lights. But it is easy to raise just the one plant.

Allow room between the light fixtures and the top of the tent. That way there can be air flow to help keep the lights from getting overheated.

what would you do with a 6 plant limit?
4 foot by 8 foot is 32 square feet and with the recommendation of allowing for 4 square feet per plant the tent is a good size because it will allow room in between plants or allowing for the plants that grow a big bigger than expected.

Some questions kicking around. Does the limit specify between plants in vegetation and those in flowering? Are all six plants going to the same age?

Soil grow so what size grow bags or pots too
Bigger the better. With a tent that size you can consider 10 gallon pots though that is just the manufacturers size code and the actual volume might only be 8.25 gallons.

Consider mounting the lights to the ceiling of the tent. Either to the ceiling tent frame or make something. That way there is no need to be constantly raising and lowering them. The plants themselves can be lowered as they grow taller. Example would be if there are 6 plants and one of them is 6 inches shorter than the other 5. It is hard to adjust one light to match that short plant unless the grower bought a bunch of smaller lights. But it is easy to raise just the one plant.

Allow room between the light fixtures and the top of the tent. That way there can be air flow to help keep the lights from getting overheated.

4 foot by 8 foot is 32 square feet and with the recommendation of allowing for 4 square feet per plant the tent is a good size because it will allow room in between plants or allowing for the plants that grow a big bigger than expected.

Some questions kicking around. Does the limit specify between plants in vegetation and those in flowering? Are all six plants going to the same age?

Bigger the better. With a tent that size you can consider 10 gallon pots though that is just the manufacturers size code and the actual volume might only be 8.25 gallons.
So I'm only going to probably do 2 grows a year for my needs so I'm going from seed to flower with no clones or separate veg and flowering rooms. That being said I can have 6 adult plants max. Maybe if the 6 plants isn't enough for me and my gf I'll change my plan and grow more than that. So yeah I'm wanting to do 6 plants in grow bags and want good yield

All you need is 4 ounces per plant to pull a pound and a half.
Decent veg period will give you that easily. :thumb:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

That's sweet! With a ceiling height of 7' and enough space to go 10'x10' if I needed too, what would you do with a 6 plant limit? Soil grow so what size grow bags or pots too
I grow 2 to 4 plants per 4x8 tent. I have a puerperal grow. my clones have been growing/training for couple months.
Before going into one of two 4x8 tents .
I grow only with regular seeds...........
I grow/develop mother plants that are NOT prone to hermaphrodite, I only use clones......
always the same strain .... I have been known for keeping a mother plants alive for years.
Growing the same strain, all the same clones so the plants grow evenly.
I do not have a hermaphrodite issues ,, NEVER. my mother plants get ripped from the rdwc system if any clone hermaphrodite
My complete grow set up is hydroponics.
Hydroponics is a tough learning curve without the right person guiding you along step by step. your plants will suffer.
You being a new grower ,, you a person helping you before you buy ANYTHING.
Once the clones hit the tent its about 90 days and the plants will be harvested.

you need to decide on allot choices,,, but design your grow set up TOO the strain ... and stay away from 100% sativa strains .. 14 week flowering times don't work .

I use a 4 x5 closet as a cloning/mother plant grow room to make a perpetual grow even possible. and at times I have plants vegging in the machine shop.

Back
Top Bottom