IL: New Cannabis Therapy Program Opens In Pekin

Katelyn Baker

Pekin, Ill. - It's been more than a year since medical marijuana dispensaries opened in Illinois, but now there's a different type of program.

Chicago is the only other location in Illinois where this type of clinic can be found.

Medical Cannabis Outreach, along with several physicians worked together to open Central Illinois' First Medical Cannabis Pain Management & Wellness Clinic.

"When you have an 85-year-old lady who looks at you and goes I got my card I don't know what to do, we want them to know what to do. We want them to get relief and get it properly and not be scared because there's nowhere to turn," said Caprice Sweatt, Founder & CEO of Medical Cannabis Outreach.

The Cannabis Therapy Program doesn't dispense medical marijuana, instead it encourages a patient relationship with a physician who will help them customize treatment.

Sweatt added, "We're going to introduce dosing guidelines and help them with dosing. Our rn's will be going to their homes taking their vitals the first time that they medicate and monitoring them."

Stephanie Groutage's son is nine years old and has had epilepsy since he was two.

Groutage says he has between 25 and 30 seizures an hour and this program has helped him.

"As a mother to see her son fighting for his life everyday, and to see it make a change in his life. Not only in school but physically, he can swim, he's fully functional. It's just a wonderful thing," said Stephanie Groutage, mother of a son who uses medical cannabis.

Dr. Ramon Pla Jr. says with the ongoing opioid epidemic help is crucial.

"You can't just have someone whose just taking 100 pills a month be told we're not going to give you anymore because we're doing something else. They have to be able to be coming off these medications and have guidance," said Dr. Ramon Pla Jr.

The company's owner says she expects the business will continue to expand.

This program will serve people from the Chicago-land area all the way south to the Illinois-Kentucky border.

It'll also serve bordering states including Indiana and Missouri.

CliffordOto.PNG

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: New Cannabis Therapy Program Opens In Pekin
Author: Jessica Cook
Photo Credit: Clifford Oto

Back
Top Bottom