Humidifier outlet positioning

Homebrew420

Hi, how have you guys got your humidifier outlets set up.
I've always had it as in the picture, oscillating fan above the canopy to the left, probe to the right and the Hugh stuck in the middle (with you!), pointing towards the fan.
Screenshot_20240611_012637_Gallery.jpg

Inlet is down to the right and outlet is obviously at the top.
Now this hasn't been an issue in veg, but now I'm starting to flower, I'm concerned a little.
As the plants/soil dries my vpd rises so the Hugh comes on more.. today, this happened and the outlet slipped a bit.. there were water drops on the leaves in the immediate vicinity.
It's all secure now but I'm still going to have these drier times when it wants to kick in more.
Air flow is bottom to top so having the outlet of the Hugh above the canopy and sensor lower means it can activate a lot in this situation.
Putting the outlet below the canopy seems like asking for trouble to me.
I don't want to go too high/point it straight up as it'll just get sucked out.. and also after finding out my phlizon fd6500 is only ip20 rated (😤), its not a good idea to point it there either.

How have you guys got yours set up?

Hey Homebrew,

Positioning is fine for now but me thinks you are headed for trouble overall. In flower you want to run dehum to pull moisture out… not a humidifier to add moisture back in.

High rh in flower leads to pm and bud rot…

I’m going to ask grow guru Mr. @Bill284 to swing by and confirm or deny
Hey Buddy :ciao:
If the rh is too low then yes a humidifier is appropriate.
I use a lung room for air circulation, rh & temp control.
Definitely better if it were outside sucking extra rh in through a vent.
Avoids any surface moisture on buds etc.
If possible I'd move it.
But what is your rh? How low is it?:Namaste:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Thanks guys, yes I too have a lung room built around my tent Bill.
I did initially have my Hugh outside the tent by the inlet/mesh screen, but as the intake/mesh was lower than my Hugh and i had the space, I stuck it in the tent instead.

I guess my idea then (which couldn't be met) I wanted it to suck into the tent straight from the outlet of the Hugh, but as he is higher, and as you can't route the hose downwards/horizontal it was clouding outside the tent.

I'll give that another try today and see how effective it is.
I did see something on a 3d print website for a frame to bolt either side of the tent, then you cut a hole in there and put the hose through.. but I'm not sure again about that as it'll be all cloudy under the canopy if its direct? For that reason, i guess fully out the tent is a better option.

Screenshot_20240611_192419_Samsung Notes.jpg

So, hopefully that's clear-ish, I'll just put the Hugh here next to the inlets (even though the Hugh outlet is higher) and it'll get sucked in as and when?

Regards to humidity, I have it set to track VPD @ 1.3 with a 0.1 buffer.
Screenshot_20240611_194311_AC Infinity.jpg

Thanks guys, yes I too have a lung room built around my tent Bill.
I did initially have my Hugh outside the tent by the inlet/mesh screen, but as the intake/mesh was lower than my Hugh and i had the space, I stuck it in the tent instead.

I guess my idea then (which couldn't be met) I wanted it to suck into the tent straight from the outlet of the Hugh, but as he is higher, and as you can't route the hose downwards/horizontal it was clouding outside the tent.

I'll give that another try today and see how effective it is.
I did see something on a 3d print website for a frame to bolt wither side of the tent, then you cut a hole in there and bit the hose through.. but I'm not sure again about that as it'll be all cloudy under the canopy? For that reason, i guess fully out the tent is a better option.

Screenshot_20240611_192419_Samsung Notes.jpg

So, hopefully that's clear-ish, I'll just put the Hugh here next to the inlets (even though the Hugh outlet is higher) and it'll get sucked in as and when?

Regards to humidity, I have it set to track VPD @ 1.3 with a 0.1 buffer.
Screenshot_20240611_194311_AC Infinity.jpg
Those Rh numbers on the chart is that with the humidifier running in the tent?
What I do is control temp and rn in my lung room.
Then the rooms circulate air.
Warm moist air comes into my lung room getting cooled and humidity removed before being sucked back into the rooms.
Intake Is at the bottom of the rooms , discharge through a carbon filter is at the top.
I just control my lung room. :Namaste:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Its best to ignore the numbers at the top, I should have cropped that bit out, that was "current" measurements at the time of the screen shot.
The stable area in the middle (10am to 10pm) is my lights off time.
The bit I selected with the vertical line on the right is where the Hugh kicked in (actually 1.4, but shows 1.42) , stays on until 1.3.. but sometimes doesn't stay off for long.
My environment is a bit different, relatively cold air comes into the lung room.
I was heating the lung room with a fan heater, but I have recently changed to an oil radiator inside the tent as it looks like its going to be cheaper to run that way... I realised, I also need some longer usb cables for my camera, then I can move the power strip further away from the tent inlet.. I think that would be wise to do first before the Hugh starts pumping out in that area.
I guess with it drawing in the bottom and up through the canopy it *should be more effective and stay stable for longer 🤔

For now, at least until I can get a longer usb, I'm going to try without the pipe, just the directional nozzle.
Under the canopy is a lot clearer since I last tried it, and ill gradually clear more as I see fit.. it could work.. Will see.
The T3 looks tiny in the pics!
20240612_020508.jpg

Well, I've been playing around /monitoring vpd and.. to an extent, I'm thinking to quit the vpd chasing 😆 . I've managed before without it 10+ years ago and I'm getting too caught up on vpd figures.
This is my current lights out stats.
Screenshot_20240612_151500_AC Infinity.jpg

I find I'm overly concentrating on keeping the vpd at 1.1+ (setpoint for correction by extraction is if it dips below 1.2).
BUT.. ffs.. its at 51.6% humidity . Goal of years gone by (iirc) was between 50 and 60% humidity meaning I have a good bit of headroom on current readings.
I'm chasing a vpd that seems to take all my concentration and concern for bud rot but when going by RH it's (and has been in the past) fine.
The Hugh kicks in sometimes more than I feel it should at a given time. I also have another independent meter under the canopy.. obviously different readings but under it shows the vpd being OK and the canopy one being high, keeping the hugh on.or the under canopy one being high buy the upper ok... I'm putting the heat and vapour from the bottom and measuring at the top (for control). Hmm. 🤔😵‍💫

I hope you have it all worked out by now but I found it best to control the environment of the room and not the tent. Humidifier, heater, cooler. It takes a few days for everything to acclimate. Like 3-5 days for more consistent readings. Lately I don't use any of those! lol. Just using the house a/c, heater, fan in combination with exhaust and light levels for control. My VPD is anywhere from .8-1.8. Although my grows have been good like this my VPD is where I would like to improve.

Thanks, it's still all a bit wild.. when i want lower rh it's high and vice versa 🤣.
Plants still seem to be doing well, even if my dark period (day light hours) is warmer than my lights on time! That's going to cost me too much to buy and run an a/c unit solely for my grow.. this extra external heat influence is going to drop soon anyway with the weather.
I am growing in a tent, in an insulated lung room, in a shed. External influences are still present as I'm exhausting outside and the lung room intakes from the outside. When external humidity is in the 90s it can and does become a task. My vpd has been similar over the last week, a low of 0.79 and high of 1.6, although it's rarely on those limits. Generally the lower side, especially the day after the mornings watering.

I am growing in a tent, in an insulated lung room, in a shed.

is the lung room the shed itself, or did you set it up as a room inside the shed with a tent inside the inside room?

Well, I've been playing around /monitoring vpd and.. to an extent, I'm thinking to quit the vpd chasing 😆 . I've managed before without it 10+ years ago and I'm getting too caught up on vpd figures.
This is my current lights out stats.

The best weed came from the 90s and they all grew with HPS! Imagine their humidity or vpd 🤣

Outdoor growers that start indoors acclimatise plants.. they get the plant ready for their weather conditions not get conditions ready for their plant.

A perfect environment may grow a perfect plant yet nobody wants a perfect plant they want her stressed! Come mid flower I'm running 30/30 but probably 26c at the leaf that's where the trichome production is at that's what I'm after. The perfect vpd probably give me PM or BR. So now the vpd is only beneficial to me in veg but what are the benefits? Time? But I grow in a tent so a couple of days... Even a week tops for a heavily trained plant filling a tent alone 🤷‍♂️

I was told here the greatest tool in growing is learning to read the plant and your plants look Hella good 👌 plants be living there best life, we the only one's stressing.

Vpd is for stressed plants or long time growers with idle hands looking for a challenge.

People be like is your vpd in check and you don't have to worry about pH 🤣 get outta here 🤦‍♂️🤣

Hahaaa my first 420 rant LOL

Hi @Homebrew420 :ciao: nice to meet you 😁 probably thinking I'll avoid this mofo 🤣🤣 I swear I'm not crazy 🤣 ✌️

is the lung room the shed itself, or did you set it up as a room inside the shed with a tent inside the inside room?
I've partitioned half the shed off, about a 2-3" air gap around the 3 external sides, with an inner wall of board insulation. , then a wood frame/skeleton to divide the shed in half with insulation board.. then I have a fire rated door to access/close it off.
I vent out an open window, which is closed off behind with board and only a 6" duct allows air out, straight from the tent within.
The tent breaths in from the lung room, and I have a 4" duct at ground level with an rvk fan drawing air into the lung room. It cycles on / off , frequency dictated by a mechanical timer I have to physically set which usually goes by the weather/temperature.
hope that's all clear 👍

The best weed came from the 90s and they all grew with HPS! Imagine their humidity or vpd 🤣

Ha ha, i guess so.. even when i was growing about 10/12 years ago without the tech, I was using 600w hps/mh lamps in a 3x3' tent.. unknowingly my vpd must have been sky high but the yeilds were pretty good.
Outdoor growers that start indoors acclimatise plants.. they get the plant ready for their weather conditions not get conditions ready for their plant.
Makes a lot of sense, the same should apply to a full indoor grow then i guess.. the Plant knows only what it knows!

A perfect environment may grow a perfect plant yet nobody wants a perfect plant they want her stressed! Come mid flower I'm running 30/30 but probably 26c at the leaf that's where the trichome production is at that's what I'm after. The perfect vpd probably give me PM or BR. So now the vpd is only beneficial to me in veg but what are the benefits? Time? But I grow in a tent so a couple of days... Even a week tops for a heavily trained plant filling a tent alone 🤷‍♂️
Totally agree with you, BR is the main reason i decided to ignore vpd to an extent.. chasing that, the hugh is kicking out way too often for my comfort.. just asking for it!
I was told here the greatest tool in growing is learning to read the plant and your plants look Hella good 👌 plants be living there best life, we the only one's stressing.
Thanks, with the buds getting bigger they are looking better now! Now just stressing on how much they are going to fatten 🤣
Vpd is for stressed plants or long time growers with idle hands looking for a challenge.

People be like is your vpd in check and you don't have to worry about pH 🤣 get outta here 🤦‍♂️🤣

Hahaaa my first 420 rant LOL

Hi @Homebrew420 :ciao: nice to meet you 😁 probably thinking I'll avoid this mofo 🤣🤣 I swear I'm not crazy 🤣 ✌️
Thanks greenvein, good to meet you too!

I don't think you're crazy, it all makes sense to me... unless I'm crazy too 😜

Thanks, with the buds getting bigger they are looking better now! Now just stressing on how much they are going to fatten 🤣
I'm the same boat right now! but I have two different strains in my tent and one showed signes of flower earlier and has flattened up alot faster 🙄 they look healthy otherwise so I'll have to wait and see 😬 I keep running clones so I know what to expect and get the yeild I need then throw in a small plant to see if I like how it grows before growing it big.
Thanks greenvein, good to meet you too!

I don't think you're crazy, it all makes sense to me... unless I'm crazy too 😜
🤣🤣 I'll probably get told off in a minute for talking badly of vpd but I won't say it's not beneficial as it is just don't feel it's worth fretting about.

What you growing anyway? You don't do journals?

I've posted some progress pics, but no I haven't done a journal. I should have done so, really, but think I had been concentrating on reading up and refreshing things grow related. I'll do one next time, nice to look back and reference pictures and problem solving.

I've got growing, one RQS special queen (my free seed) and three RQS/Tyson 2.0 punch pie.

I had tried to preserve some seeds for far too long and all 3 failed when I tried to germinate.
I do have 2 more older seeds but they are light in colour, so probably dead too☹️

That sucks in the seeds bro but fair play for holding on to them 👍

Interested in how skunky your special queen turns out. I have a clone of the original skunk1 exodus cheese. I'm trying to get a actual date but I know this plant was definitely alive in the 90s.

Tbh, I expected most to fail, but not all.. oh well. They were 'snow fruit' by sweet seeds.. I think I smoke a lot, and that used to KO me after half a joint! So earthy and sticky.. it was dry but so resinous you could only pick it, it would stick to your finger and then you were connected to anything it touched 🤣 oh well.. the memories!

I'll let you know on the special queen. ..skunk1 exodus cheese.. sounds nasty.. I like it!

Back
Top Bottom